Shrevus

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
So, three years ago i built my current rig, quite high spec.

I'm using a HD5850 and the thing sounds like it's trying to provide my entire street with power, i'm sick of it. These cards are apparently rather notorious for being loud due to a design fault with the fans.

I'm waiting until April to upgrade my mobo/cpu when ivybridge is released, i guess you could put me in the enthusiasts bracket.

So here is my question:

Is there such a thing as a powerful yet very quiet card? My budget is not limited of it hits both criteria.

I mainly use my rig for gaming; EVE, WoW and the CoD franchise dominating most of my time.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
if you wan't silent cards, you need to go for nvidia, ati cards are always louder.

i got a 560ti twin frozr II and the cooler is very silent, even at 100% still in a acceptable noise.

if you want something even more quiet, you should read about water cooling so you can [hide] most of fans.

joeblogs

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Hmm if you want something dead silent have a look for a Passive cooled card. I believe you can get a passive cooled 6850.

Why not just replace the cooler on the GPU.

I have this : WOrks great, Silent as the grave and cools much better than any stock cooler, even without a fan. Fan is optional.

http://www.thermalright.com/products/index.php?act=data&cat_id=30&id=93

Thermalright spitfire.

When you upgrade to a new card you can just reuse it. I dont find it a waste of money at all. Even allows some impressive overclocking.

Just make sure the one you get is compatible with your card. VRM02 according to the compatibilty sheet.

randomkid

Distinguished

What monitor resolution are you playing at?

Not so. It always depend on the cooler in the graphics card. Non-reference cards can be quieter (whether nVidia or AMD) specially those with 2-3 fans.

Agreed. Only the reference designs can be judged like that. And few use that.

I love the Sapphire Vapor-x cards. Very nice and quiet. But few of them are satisfying on the power side. Maybe just the HD6970 Battlefield 3 edition. But its waaaayyyy overpriced.

no it would not. a twin frozr or multiple fan model from gigabyte would be all OP needs its just about how much he is willing to spend. OP can get pretty much any card in the multiple fan cooler models and get a nice bump in performance with near silence

Shrevus

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

This could be a good solution as the HD5850 still runs most games on high settings.

Sorry I should have mentioned this. 1920x1200, 2 monitors.

I have around £200 ($320).

Thanks for the quick replies.

Shrevus

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Ok, i think i have enough info to go on, it's crazy how out-of-the-loop you can be after a couple of years!

Thanks again for the replies.

randomkid

Distinguished

I missed this reply. I think its the best one.
If the problem is just noise, then the aftermarket cooler should be the most cost effective solution.

I presume you game on only 1 monitor. If yes, then no performance issue there as you mentioned.

Why not save some more & buy a 3rd monitor & a 2nd card for Eyefinity? :)

Shrevus

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

You've planted a seed now, damn you...

Desk space is my nemesis. I have 2x24 inch monitors and a HAF 932, combined with the usual peripherals it's like sardines in a can!

The HAF has an insatiable lust for dust, if i put it on the floor I have to clean it once a week almost.