Question about a gaming build (Diablo 3)

andrewmaier

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Hey guys,

I've built a number of computers in my life but I've been out of the game for a little while now. The last time I put a graphics card in a computer, it was an AGP model (I think that's what they were called). Any who, it's been a little while so my assumptions may be a bit off.

Still, I'm looking to build a new computer on account of Diablo 3 being released in a month's time. Could you guys take a look at this build and let me know what I'm doing wrong, if anything?

build.png

The graphics card is notably absent here. I'm planning on getting an an Nvidia Geforce GTX 680 - 2GB card. One card, no weird crossover stuff :) Also, why are a lot of builds using the i5 rather than the i7?

Thanks in advance!
-Andrew

Solution
I'll go from the top:

1) Why the Arc Midi? I'm getting an R3 for silence, but why would you get Fractal if not for sound-deadening? I'd suggest the Corsair 400R... you won't be disappointed.
2) You've got two PSUs and two Mobos selected... you know that, right? Anyway, I'm getting a PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK II 750W because it's silver-rated... I'd suggest getting that. It's only like $30 more, yet worth it because of the silver rating
3) Why 16GB of RAM? Instead, get 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 (not 1333) CAS9 1.5v
4) Looks good, but I'd suggest the ASRock Extreme4 (out of stock at the moment) at $130
5) CPU is fine (if you don't want to wait for IB)
6) Why the Hyper N instead of the Hyper 212 Evo? The Hyper N is quieter, but if...

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Most people use i5-2500k over i7-2600k/2700k because there is 0.05% difference in games, while a 100$ price difference. (Unless you use it for other programs)

Why do you have 2 power supplies and 2 motherboards? (Guessing accident..)

Case: That one is okay, take a look at the HAF 922, 932, Antec 900/1200.
PSU: TX650 or AX650
RAM: You don't need 16gb for Diablo 3, get 8gb of 1600 instead.
MOBO: I like that mobo, some may say it's overkill (it is) but it is badass. Alternatives are AsRock's Z77 Extreme4 and Extreme6 and ASUS's P8Z77 line.
CPU: I5-2500K is enough for gaming.
COOLER: 212 Evo, it's a lot better.
SSD: I would grab either a Samsung 830 or Crucial M4 over a OCZ.

Operating system? Storage drive? CD Drive?

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
I'll go from the top:

1) Why the Arc Midi? I'm getting an R3 for silence, but why would you get Fractal if not for sound-deadening? I'd suggest the Corsair 400R... you won't be disappointed.
2) You've got two PSUs and two Mobos selected... you know that, right? Anyway, I'm getting a PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK II 750W because it's silver-rated... I'd suggest getting that. It's only like $30 more, yet worth it because of the silver rating
3) Why 16GB of RAM? Instead, get 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 (not 1333) CAS9 1.5v
4) Looks good, but I'd suggest the ASRock Extreme4 (out of stock at the moment) at $130
5) CPU is fine (if you don't want to wait for IB)
6) Why the Hyper N instead of the Hyper 212 Evo? The Hyper N is quieter, but if you want quiet, why not go Noctua?
7) A 256GB SSD is overkill... get a 128GB Crucial M4 and save the money.

Overall, it seems like you want a silent/quiet build... am I right? If so, go ahead and tell me and I'll try to help... I'm trying to build a quiet build myself.

Solution

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Well, there really is only a few CPU's and mobo's that are recommendable. RAM is usually G.SKILL or Corsair. Hyper 212 EVO is the go-to cooler. Only thing that really varies is the case, and sometimes PSU. (I'm a fanboy of Corsair/Seasonic..:))

andrewmaier

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Holy crap you guys are fast!

First, sorry for not using the posting template. Second, oops! Two mobos and PSUs. Fixing that! Going to look into your suggestions, guys and get you my new build :)

andrewmaier

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Haha. To all those telling me it's a bit powerful: I definitely want it to hold up for a good little while. In truth, I'll likely wait and get the IB processor, but in the meantime I want to construct the system that I'd buy today. I plan to purchase this around the end of the month and get it setup in time to run D3 by mid may. I also plan on hooking it up to my Apple Cinema display.

As for noise, I'd love a quiet system. I've had noisy systems in the past. I never set out to build it that way, but here's my latest build.

build2.png

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

You still have 2 mobos. I would still take the Sabertooth though.. :) You do not need thermal compound, the NT-H1 that comes with the Noctua is one of the best. Maybe for power supply get a TX650, made by Seasonic hehe.

G

for being $50 cheaper yeah but the P8Z77 deluxe has more power phases (16) potentially a better overclocker.

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Well... you didn't change the PSU. The one I suggested has a silver rating, but I guess you don't want it.. I see exactly how it is... ;)

Again, I'm not sure about the SSD... 128GB is a lot. 64GB should be enough... also, look into a Crucial m4.. great deal, and it'll give you more money to spend on important things (like a 750W silver rated PSU >.>).

Great Noctua cooler... but it's massive. Make sure there's enough room.

What Gary said about the thermal compound.

Noticed you changed the case to an R3... nice! :)
I'd put in an extra case fan (a Noctua would be nice, I'll use Cougar) in the front... it only comes with one exhaust and one intake, and there are two slots in the door for intake, so putting in a second fan there would increase airflow and not increase sound.

I'd suggest an MSI Twin Frozr OC edition of whatever GPU you're going to buy. Also, watch out... the GPU might get hot without a side fan. However, a sound fan would increase the noise level.

Other than that, everything looks fine!

andrewmaier

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Okay, upgraded the PSU per Dan's suggestion. Which mobo should I pick between the two, and why? I'm not too savvy on the differences and the concept of the "armor" is kinda weird for someone used to a non-armored build :)

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
The more expensive one is better :)

I think if you can afford the ASUS, go with the ASUS. However, the ASRock is perfectly fine for your needs as well. How soon are you going to be upgrading the CPU? 'Cause Z77 isn't compatible (or it's probably not going to be) with Haswell, the Intel CPUs in a year.

G

the asus deluxe has alot of bells and whistles on it so hence the $50 more in cost. the sabertooth is geared at more straight ahead overclocking an gaming.

either board is great you won't regret getting.