Building my computer?

ComputerNewbs

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Hi, this going to be my first post in this thread and i hoping for opinions and advices. Iam starting on assembling my own computer and just want to make sure that all the hardware i bought is compatible to each other.

Mobo- gigabyte z68XP-UD3
CPU- i5 2500k
RAM- 8GB KIT 1600 (4GB x 2) G.SKILL RIPJAWS-X
GPU- Nvidia GEForce 8400 PCIe (I want to use my old graphics card because i ran out of money of buying a new one)
PSU- coolermaster gx550w bronze
HDD- 320gb sata 3.0 (7200 rpm) (from an old computer as well)
Optical Drive -dvd/CD
Case- Silencio 550 mid tower
Monitor- Dell S2209WFP 21.5" full hd widescreen flat panel (LCD) 60hz
- screen resolution: 1920x1080
- aspect ratio: 16:9

the motherboard doesnt have a vga port in it (no onboard graphics), how do i suppose to run the bios if my graphics card is not isntalled yet? and my graphics card has no vga output either, only dvi output? how do i overcome this problem.

also i want to upgrade my graphics card soon once i save up my pocket money. what is a good graphics card that requires less than 550w, compatible with my motherboard socket (2.0,2.1 or 3.0) and has a ratio of 16:9. It woud be good if you list an option of GPU's for me.

Thanks a lot!

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
hi. nice name :)

1)you have to install the graphics card and plug the monitor into it before booting up your computer. You can do it with a converter like this one
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-DVI-Cable-Adapter-DVIVGAMF/dp/B000067SOH

2) Alot of new graphics cards can be run on a 550 w power supply. It just depends on your budget. However, coolermaster isnt the greatest for power supplies. Corsair, Seasonic, and antec are some good reputable power supplies.

and pcie 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.1 and 2.0

G

i have had some bad luck with adapters from time to time . .but thats just me.
though i would suggest getting a dvi cable:
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-10-Feet-Dual-Cable/dp/B000KZW9WM/