False 4x4 information I presented. Baron was right

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
If you have read msg 130 of the thread linked below you will have seen a post in which I incorrectly interpreted AMD roadmap information from the Dutch site Tweakers.net

To correct that error, according to roadmap at Tweakers.net, there will not be 4x4 systems in AM2 nor bundled 4x4 CPUs of the AM2 X26000/ X25600/X25400 and there will, at release, be only 3 4x4 bundles (FX74/72/70) not 6

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Intel-AMD-wow-Digital-Lifeftopic-204643-days0-orderasc-125.html

…and the link to the Tweakers article which I interpreted wrongly:

http://tweakers.net/nieuws/44504/AMD-4x4-platform-gebaseerd-op-Socket-1207.html

Well Baron,

You are right. I am wrong.

The tweakers roadmap/article did not state there would be 6 4x4chips only 3.

I misinterpreted the article. The X2 6000, 5600 and 5400 are not going to be AM2 socketed 4x4s, instead AMD is doing away with the FX moniker for AM2 sockets and the X26000/5600/5400 will be the AM2 equivalent of the 1207 FX74/72/70, not a cheaper AM2 4x4

It does not matter how I misinterpreted the information, only that I did, and that I was wrong, and that I accept responsibility for that error

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
If you have read msg 130 of the thread linked below you will have seen a post in which I incorrectly interpreted AMD roadmap information from the Dutch site Tweakers.net

To correct that error, according to roadmap at Tweakers.net, there will not be 4x4 systems in AM2 nor bundled 4x4 CPUs of the AM2 X26000/ X25600/X25400 and there will, at release, be only 3 4x4 bundles (FX74/72/70) not 6

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Intel-AMD-wow-Digital-Lifeftopic-204643-days0-orderasc-125.html

…and the link to the Tweakers article which I interpreted wrongly:

http://tweakers.net/nieuws/44504/AMD-4x4-platform-gebaseerd-op-Socket-1207.html

Well Baron,

You are right. I am wrong.

The tweakers roadmap/article did not state there would be 6 4x4chips only 3.

I misinterpreted the article. The X2 6000, 5600 and 5400 are not going to be AM2 socketed 4x4s, instead AMD is doing away with the FX moniker for AM2 sockets and the X26000/5600/5400 will be the AM2 equivalent of the 1207 FX74/72/70, not a cheaper AM2 4x4

It does not matter how I misinterpreted the information, only that I did, and that I was wrong, and that I accept responsibility for that error

Well, since you posted this I won't bother you about it. When you read link after link and review after review they start to blur together don't they?

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Well done Turpit...

Nice to see someone step up and be a man(or woman?), when right OR wrong...

Kudos also, for not using a buried reference and starting a new thread.. We need more forum members like yourself..

Was that enough kissing up :)?

Seriously way to step forward....

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
I am affraid that only three FX bundles may put 4x4 at even further of a disadvantage (price wise).

Will be interesting to see what the offereings for those bundles will be...

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
You are the god of happy THG gnomes frolicing in a happy meadow where people live in harmony and never fight and are always sorry to each other for not being happier than the happiest of all gnomes.... Baron Gnome

WTF did i just type. I really have no idea. Just tried to make the gayest happy crap i could. It seemed to work. :lol:

My only question, will this be good for my AMD stock?
We are in a time for reflection and togetherness and you have your mind on earthly pursuits and the fleeting pleasures of materialism? How dare you? :wink:
Technological gains don't always translate into stock market gains. The guys in the SE's are finicky to say the least. The weather has more of an impact than the release or the prices of 4x4

I'm still a teenager and I'm an evil bastard...
Back on topic though, I'm not sure but I believe it takes longer for Intel good news to positively affect its stock rating and performance when compared to that of AMD.
When AMD announced news of its ATI merger, there stock immediately started to jump.
IDF didn't have the same effect for Intel. It took a few weeks if I can remember to see an improvement in Intel's stock after they started using Core 2's in the new Macs.
No one quote me on this cause this is what I can remember from listening to Market Place...

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Da,

You will find that even rumors of a merger between two companies can affect the price almost immediately (alot of time for the positive)...

Their were five potential courters for the company MCI "British Telecom, Bell South, Sprint, Qwest and finally Verizon"... Upon the rumor of even "possible talks of a possible merger" each of the associated players received a modest increase the day of the exposure...

The stock market is a fickle environment in which FEW can predict the prevailing winds.

Hello Ches,
I understand. Even analyst's have a hard if not impossible job predicting patterns and stuff.
The stock market isn't my forte by a long shot anyways. I'll stick with electronics.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Hey Baron,

Have you compiled a list yet of potential MB vendors that will support the 4x4?

Just curious to see who is already stepping up and who is waiting in the wings...

Initial pricing would be nice to know as well..

Given current FX pricing with the FX-60 running at $550.00 (best price found) for a single the FX-7X packages would "I think" have to come in at a price of $450.00 USD or lower per CPU to be considered.

Will be interseting to see how it shakes out...

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Thank you all for the kind responses. You could have easy (and rightly) flamed me considering my responses to people who make those kind of mistakes, but you didnt.

I'm not sure but I believe it takes longer for Intel good news to positively affect its stock rating and performance when compared to that of AMD.
When AMD announced news of its ATI merger, there stock immediately started to jump.
IDF didn't have the same effect for Intel. It took a few weeks if I can remember to see an improvement in Intel's stock after they started using Core 2's in the new Macs.
No one quote me on this cause this is what I can remember from listening to Market Place...

I noticed that with Conroe. Of course, with the stock market, there could be any 1 of a 1000 reasons for that, or no reason whatsover.

One potential reason "candidate": maybe the market was in "wait and see" mode after years of hearing Intels overly positive PR regarding heatburst, while AMD sat in the backround quietly working away and producing results. Just one of the thousands of possiblites.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
I think you will find that another part of the Intel packaging is its marketing machine... The Conroe or C2D was greeted with a modest response (initially) in all forms of media with the exception of the Internet. The ads came afterwards and their new name recognition engine follows...

I think Intel has made a mistake in making the C2D seem like a modest release. In using a similar naming convention (Core anything) they keep the market somewhat happy. But, I think it under sells the capabilities of the current processor to those WS folks.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Hey Baron,

Have you compiled a list yet of potential MB vendors that will support the 4x4?

Just curious to see who is already stepping up and who is waiting in the wings...

Initial pricing would be nice to know as well..

Given current FX pricing with the FX-60 running at $550.00 (best price found) for a single the FX-7X packages would "I think" have to come in at a price of $450.00 USD or lower per CPU to be considered.

Will be interseting to see how it shakes out...

Well, I know Asus will be a launch partner. I would expect that MSI and Abit would try to get some boards out for it. The big thing is going to be that these are not mainstream machines, so there will be a higher margin for systems only at first, I would think. By Jan we should see DIY mobos and twin retail packages, maybe Feb.

I'll keep an eye out but with a mid-November launch (according to AMD Digital Life reps), we should at least hear announcements from the big three.

I just don't want to have to buy an Aurora M7500 (read:$3000+) to get this for XMas. I mean I think I would consider buying Dell if they do put this in XPS or Precision at $2000 for a mid-high end GPU and 4GB RAM. I don't even really need RAID though SATA RAID is cheap and onboard so I could see a 2HDD stripe and an extra drive (not RAID 5).

sailer

Splendid
We are in a time for reflection and togetherness and you have your mind on earthly pursuits and the fleeting pleasures of materialism? How dare you? :wink:
Technological gains don't always translate into stock market gains. The guys in the SE's are finicky to say the least. The weather has more of an impact than the release or the prices of 4x4

I apoligize to you that my attempt at levity hit a sour note. For sure, Turpit has handled himself with dignity and offered a well noted apoligy that was graceful. Baron likewise accepted the apology in good manner.

I believe I shall retire for a time, therefore, to playing a game on my Intel powered computer while my mind readjusts itself.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I think you will find that another part of the Intel packaging is its marketing machine... The Conroe or C2D was greeted with a modest response (initially) in all forms of media with the exception of the Internet. The ads came afterwards and their new name recognition engine follows...

I think Intel has made a mistake in making the C2D seem like a modest release. In using a similar naming convention (Core anything) they keep the market somewhat happy. But, I think it under sells the capabilities of the current processor to those WS folks.

Yup. I remember seeing some controversy over using "core" instead of a new and unrelated name. I agree with you that the Core name undersells (by relation) the Conroe core.

The stock market reaction since July might also be usable by someone to argue the level of influence the enthusiast segment holds over the rest of the market

sailer

Splendid
what kind of stock player are you?amd will most likely post better numbers around the holidays.
what price point did you enter at?if you entered at the wrong time its a loosing proposition,but if you entered at 16.80 .

I own a number of stocks, varying from ones that pay good, steady dividends to an occasional gamble. I rarely loose, though I sometimes have to hold through a low spot. I am hoping that AMD will do well during the holidays, and have a hope that the 4x4 chip will sell sufficiently to bring up the stock. I entered at a good price, so that if it goes up only a few more dollars, I'll sell with a substantial gain. I made some trades last week for an income of about $28,000, so it manages to support my lifestyle. Hopefull I'll do as well again within the next few weeks.

Now if I could only get my ex-wife to go away and stop bugging me for more money.

The Blue Man PIII and PIV commercials and the Homer Simpson PII commercials really appealed to me and many of my friends. That's what Intel should do again.
The only thing that I like about the new Core 2 commercial is the music. Good Brazilian lounge music. 8)