Building my first pc with the new ivy bridge cpu, advice/suggestions?

pavelbarchuk

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
hi,

so i finally decided to build a new pc, my dell xps 420 from 2007 with the q6600 seems fast enough, but it has a few issues, needs a new mobo, etc.

i will be buying the ivy bridge cpu on april 29th when it comes out. probably the i7 3770K...

so heres what i already ordered.

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM.... i know 8GB aint much, but thats what i have on my current pc and it seems like its more than enough. went with the 2133 because according to some ppl, its compatible with the motherboard and its great for OC

heres what i still have to buy. maybe a little more research and see what other people suggest.

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MKNSSDCR240GB-DX 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive... although lot of people say to stay away from the Mushkin SSDs because of known issues, but this SSD has the highest read/writes of any ssds unless you get the revo drives from ocz. i have the 120GB version of this SSD in my new dell xps laptop that i got myself for christmas and added the ssd right away, boot times are 19 seconds, twice faster than stock hdd and everything is so fast and i love it. this will be for the boot drive and installed programs.

Noctua NH-C14 6 Heatpipe 2x140mm SSO Bearing Quiet CPU Cooler...

this is what i will be transfering from my current pc.

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD PCIe Sound Card

corsair tx750W psu

ATI Radeon HD 5600 Series GPU

Barracuda 7200.12 1TB HDD & Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB. also have a 64GB crucial adrenaline ssd cache which i will not be transfering cuz i will be getting a real ssd.

i havent decided on a case.

what you guys think about this build? i will try oveclocking this thing, still too early to say how well the chip will overclock, but if its doable, i'll do it.

thanks in advance.

g-unit1111

Titan
First - you don't need a sound card anymore. The Asus plastic cover motherboard is an awful choice - there's better Asus boards out there, go with the P8Z77 Deluxe.

The GPU won't carry over and you should be buying a new one anyways, go with a 78XX (I like the 7870) if you can squeeze it in your budget. Don't skimp on the GPU - it's one of the single most important parts of any build and it can make or break the build's performance.

Ditch the 240GB SSD - that's major overkill - go with a 64 - 128GB SSD. With a 240GB SSD you're pouring far more into storage than you should be - storage is an afterthought anymore when the best cases will let you add or remove drives with relative ease. Put that money in the GPU.

As for case that depends on what you want to spend. If you want to spend ~$100 on case there's plenty of great ones out there.

pavelbarchuk

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
why wont the gpu carry over?

i use the sound card cuz of the really low SNR. still beats any onboard audio on any motherboard. i have high dollar studio monitors connected to the pc, so audio quality is really important for me.

pavelbarchuk

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010

and if buying ssds is a waist of $$$, should i just carry over my crucial adrenaline ssd cache with my other hdds and leave it like that?

g-unit1111

Titan

No I'm not saying that buying an SSD is a waste of money - I'm saying that you shouldn't pour hundreds of dollars in storage by buying a really expensive SSD. SSDs have a far more limited lifespan than traditional HDs do and you never want to overload it or do anything that distorts your SSDs read-write cycles. Go with a 128GB M4 or Chronos drive, put the rest of that in your GPU. I can't stress enough the importance of the GPU on any build as the right one can often make or break your build's performance. You don't want to skimp or compromise on the GPU and put money in something that you'll most likely never use all of.