zoneman2

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but my computer keep locking up. Reinstalled windows a few times, even was running linux off a usb still freezes. When I run the computer on just the mothboards video, it also freezes before I can get into windows but allows me to get into linux for a few mins then locks up. I think it may be my motherboard. The very last thing i did was installed the evga 480gtx, it was running fine prior.

specs- listed important stuff

Cosair H80

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400)

Wintec AMPX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

MSI NF980-G65 AM3

MSI GeForce 9600 GT/ evga 480gtx (ive tried it on both)

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor

hec Zephyr MX 750 750W Peak Output ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

beefybish

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
Have you tried completely uninstalling the drivers for the 480gtx? The driver itself could be causing the issue (hence why it still happens when using onboard).

My reasoning for this is due to the issue not occuring before installing the card. (correct me if i'm wrong)

I doubt it would be an issue with the power supply as that's more than capable of handling what you have

zoneman2

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012

I was thinking drivers, but then its doing it in linux thats being booted from a usb drive WITHOUT any video card but the onboard ane it also freezes in window recovery. As for memory ive reseated it like 3 times still the same issue. I hope its the psu becuase thats cheaper to fix. Anr ive yet to run a memtest i doubt ill be able to since i cant do anything for more then 10 mins

i think your having a timming issue with two set of miss match dimms. i would pull the small dimms out and make sure that the 4g set are in the same bank. I would then reboot and run cpu-z and read the jdec of the ram and then check the mb bios to see if the right speed is set from the jdec and the 1.5v. also dont trust that your mb voltage is 1.5v sometime you have to bump to 1.6 volts or a little more if the dimm slots are fully loaded.

zoneman2

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
good call on the ram. Idk why its giving me issues now... very odd. but it seems to be working. I'm going to try and install the other two stick and run them at there correct timings. see if that helps.