How to get sound from a dvi port to a hdmi tv

margaret66

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I am using a dvi to hdmi cable converter from computer to tv but cant get sound,can you direct me to any solutions.

Thank you,
M.BERG.

Wanderingman1

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Hi,
First thing to realize is DVI means digital VIDEO interface....does not integrate sound into signal, and HDMI means high definition MULTIMEDIA interface...yup includes sound as well as video!
If a DVI out is all you have access to from your vid card/mobo, then a y splitter (2 inputs 1 out) 1 input dvi, 2nd input for your sound, output being HDMI may be difficult to find, although i am sure it is out there.
Alternatively, run a 2nd line alongside your DVI to HDMI line just for sound, or try to use a different output from your card that supports both video and sound if available. Most video cards these days have several outputs to choose from.
I suggest reading up on your specific card, and determine which output best suits your needs.
Hopes this helps with your issue!
Regards

locoamnd

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

What Kind of Video Card are you using?
If your using a Ati or GeForce, you can do it installing the Software

lostminty

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Hi,

As far as I understand, it is a driver issue. I read somewhere that ATI's DVI-HDMI adaptor uses spare pins to carry the audio stream . Many video cards can produce HDMI signal over DVI, I suspect its a driver thing rather than physical limitations for the reason below.

Using the ATI's DVI-HDMI adaptor and OS ubuntu instead of windows on a very basic intel core2 duo motherboard with intel G45 (I think) graphics chip (on board) I have gotten sound over hdmi no problem.

So if you're willing to use a linux as your media playing OS then you may well be in luck.

I imagine that if someone knew how to port linux drivers over to windows a lot of people would be happy.

profipix

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Yes, as long as you have the correct drivers set-up, it will work.