Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

PSU hisses

Last response: in Components
Share
July 29, 2012 5:46:35 AM

Hello everyone.
I am new to this site as I have just discovered it while trying to find an answer to my issue.

I have recently started building a new desktop and have brought all parts brand new.
So far, my new build is lacking a GPU, HDD and CD/DVD drive.

Issue:
I got a new power supply about a week ago and tested it to see if my motherboard and PSU work, but every time I try to power it, the PSU hisses for a second and then nothing else happens. The CPU fan doesn't move, the PSUs fan doesn't move, no lights, no beeps. Nothing.
It doesn't hiss again until I turn the switch off for about 5 seconds and turn it back on again and the same thing happens over and over again.

I have removed the RAM, and wireless card and turning it on but it still hisses.
I have checked the wires countless times making sure they are fully plugged in and are plugged in correctly.

Is this a fault with the PSU or the motherboard?

I will admit, the PSU is cheap and it's a brand I have never heard of before. The PSU was only £17.

Current Spec:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3
RAM: Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz (2x4GB)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz
Wireless Card: Tenda Wireless-N300 PCI
PSU: Alpine 700W 4x SATA (Has anyone ever heard of Alpine?)

To be added:
GPU: XFX HD 6870 900MHz 1GB GDDR5

More about : psu hisses

a b ) Power supply
July 29, 2012 7:34:53 AM

looked around a bit, i see alot of so far so good's, but many bad products will have that as well *coughDiabloTekcough*... there is a good 20-40% of em that say blew up or started hissing so it wouldn't surprise me if yours is defective, not to mention they have hid the cables, and the side sticker in every photo, and there is not a single review to be found :) 
a b ) Power supply
July 29, 2012 9:04:43 AM

The PSU is an essential part of your system. If it blows it can take other parts down along with it, which would cost you way more than going for a reliable PSU in the first place.

If you just bought the components, don't hesitate to send the PSU back. And get a proper one, Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, ...

Take your time to read a review about the PSU on a tech site.

Btw, your components don't need a 700W PSU, a quality 500W is enough, already. Ofc, that depends on your future plans, too. If you want to upgrade your GPU or add another 6870 later you should probably stick with a more powerful PSU ...
Related resources
July 29, 2012 9:29:25 AM

Alpine are doorstop grade PSU's along with EZcool, powercooler, CIT, OCnet, artic, winpower, arianet, scanFX, storm, colorsIT... all brands to avoid in the UK
July 29, 2012 9:29:57 AM

As the others said. The psu is an ultra critical component of any pc, so if you suspect somethings not right - especially a 'hissing sound' from your psu - switch off immediately and hope that nothing downstream has been permanently affected.

Since your new psu is 1 week old, return it fast. Don't replace it with the same model - get one from whatsthatnoise's recommendation above.
a b ) Power supply
July 29, 2012 2:59:22 PM

Cheap power supplies are normally of adequate design but are grossly overrated only capable of supplying little over 200W. I would suspect that the power supply is OK and should be capable of supplying your current load although it may struggle when you add the graphics card. You may have a short, check that the stand offs on the case are correct.
July 29, 2012 6:12:24 PM

Okay. I have just sent a form off for RMA on the PSU.
I have also checked my motherboard for any burns and it looks fine so I am hoping that PSU didn't cause any damage to my motherboard (I haven't even used it once yet T_T)

@whatsthatnoise, I will look into those brands. I do believe I may need an 850w as I am planning on getting a second 6870 and using crossfire sometime in the future. Will 850W be enough?

@wr6133, Thanks for that list. Now I know who to stay away from.

I will post on here when I receive a new PSU and let you know if it was the PSU that was the issue.
a b ) Power supply
July 29, 2012 7:02:52 PM

nate vongrimm said:
Okay. I have just sent a form off for RMA on the PSU.
I have also checked my motherboard for any burns and it looks fine so I am hoping that PSU didn't cause any damage to my motherboard (I haven't even used it once yet T_T)

@whatsthatnoise, I will look into those brands. I do believe I may need an 850w as I am planning on getting a second 6870 and using crossfire sometime in the future. Will 850W be enough?

@wr6133, Thanks for that list. Now I know who to stay away from.

I will post on here when I receive a new PSU and let you know if it was the PSU that was the issue.


nooooo, dual 6870's reccomends 600W :p 

also to add to that list, coolmax diablotek, retailplus(staples sells em), raidmax, LOGISYS... and it goes on and on :p 
July 29, 2012 7:56:28 PM

nna2 said:
nooooo, dual 6870's reccomends 600W :p 


I'm grabbing an Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W PSU.
It's mainly because I will be upgrading my PC as time goes on so a more power PSU will be able to handle the upgrades =]
a b ) Power supply
July 29, 2012 8:00:27 PM

i wouldn't go for those PSU's in particular, there known to be problematic

Best solution

a c 248 ) Power supply
July 29, 2012 8:08:47 PM
Share

We had several threads in the past about the Alpine psu. It is not a good power supply. I suggest you purchase a quality unit:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/power-supplies/psu-recommend...

nna2 - Which power supplies are you referring to? Are you referring to Nate VonGrim's comment about purchasing a Corsair Enthusiast Series V2 750 watt psu (CMPSU-750TXV2) or something else?
July 29, 2012 9:30:42 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
We had several threads in the past about the Alpine psu. It is not a good power supply. I suggest you purchase a quality unit:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/power-supplies/psu-recommend...


That website is very handy. Thanks :) 

And yeah, I found out about Alpine the hard way. Luckily, the Alpine PSU wasn't expensive so I didn't lose anything.

Quote:
i wouldn't go for those PSU's in particular, there known to be problematic


Well, I've read reviews on them and based on what critics and customers have said, they sound like they are very powerful and very reliable.
I know it lacks modular connections but it's built to be durable.
It seems promising for my needs as I do a lot of gaming and music production as well.
a b ) Power supply
July 30, 2012 1:05:09 AM

nate vongrimm said:
That website is very handy. Thanks :) 

And yeah, I found out about Alpine the hard way. Luckily, the Alpine PSU wasn't expensive so I didn't lose anything.

Quote:
i wouldn't go for those PSU's in particular, there known to be problematic


Well, I've read reviews on them and based on what critics and customers have said, they sound like they are very powerful and very reliable.
I know it lacks modular connections but it's built to be durable.
It seems promising for my needs as I do a lot of gaming and music production as well.


no doubt there good units, it was more with the original ones... the V2 ones aren't as bad
July 30, 2012 6:11:07 PM

Best answer selected by Nate VonGrimm.
July 31, 2012 8:47:37 PM

Got my new PSU today (Corsair Enthusiast TX750 750W) and it turns out that the Alpine PSU was the fault.
My new PC is now running properly and everything is working fine.
Thanks for the help and links that you all provided!
a c 248 ) Power supply
July 31, 2012 8:58:07 PM

That's certainly good news!

!