2x PCIe 2.0 GPU in PCIe 3.0 and 2.0 ports

oshirowanen

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Hello,

I'm thinking about getting the following motherboard:

Gigabyte B75M-D3V S1155 Intel B75 DDR3 ATX

Apparently, this motherboard has the following ports which I have a question about:

1 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 ( 22 nm processor must be installed ),
1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 ( x4 mode ),
3 x PCI Express 2.0 x1,
2 x PCI

On this motherboard, I am planning on getting the following CPU and GPUs:

CPU: 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i3 2120 3.3GHz Socket LGA1155
GPU: 2x Novatech GeForce GT 520 1024MB GDDR3

That CPU seems to have a 32 nm architechture and both GPUs seem to be PCI Express 2.0 x16 GPUs.

So will I be able to use this CPU and those GPUs with the above botherboard if 1 of the GPUs is plugged into the PCI Express 3.0 port and the second GPU is plugged into the PCI Express 2.0 port?

oshirowanen

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
This config is not a gaming machine, it's to have lag free 4 monitors for a development machine. I've tried using the usb2vga converts for extra monitors but they are too laggy to be productive with.

PCIe is forwards and backwards compatible. PCIe 3.0 motherboards just run at PCIe 2.0 with a PCIe 2.0 CPU and graphics card. Also, have you tried a USB 3.0 monitor (on a USB 3.0 port)? If you only tried USB 2.0 versions, then that explains the lag. I'm not sure if a 3.0 monitor will also lag, but it should be a helluva lot better at the very least. As for those video cards, if 512MB versions are significantly cheaper than the 1024MB versions, then I recommend them, unless you know that you need 1024MB cards.

Also, it's video cards that you're talking about (aka graphics cards), not GPUs. A GPU is a chip on a graphics card, not the entire graphics card it-self. I'm not nit-picky about a lot of things, but I am about this. Calling a graphics card a GPU is like calling a computer a CPU.

Yeah. Sorry about that, it's just that calling them a GPU can lead to some pretty confusing explanations later on, especially if someone who doesn't understand this tries to look up information after reading it referred to as a GPU.