Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Asus Xonar DG or Xonar DS? Please Help!

Last response: in Components
July 29, 2012 7:00:28 AM

I've been researching between these two cards and the only differences I found are the dolby digital encoding and the SDIF port. I really don't know which one to get because I heard the Xonar DS has a better chip and will perform a little better than the Xonar DG. I'm stuck between these cards, can someone tell me which one is the better buy? I generally use headsets while gaming, youtube, movies, (Tritton PC510HDA) 5.1's.

More about : asus xonar xonar

July 30, 2012 12:06:31 AM

The Xonar DS would be your better choice since you are not using Dolby 5.1 (I assume your Tritton won't need it since Dolby 5.1 is software-based), and you won't need the amplifier. The DS has DTS, which works with your headphones since your headphones are truly 5.1, and DTS is made for speakers that use a 5.1 setup.
Score
July 30, 2012 12:12:07 AM

reprotected said:
The Xonar DS would be your better choice since you are not using Dolby 5.1 (I assume your Tritton won't need it since Dolby 5.1 is software-based), and you won't need the amplifier. The DS has DTS, which works with your headphones since your headphones are truly 5.1, and DTS is made for speakers that use a 5.1 setup.

what is DTS? But isn't the dolby digital encoding much better?
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 30, 2012 12:25:39 AM

ipenguins said:
what is DTS? But isn't the dolby digital encoding much better?

Not exactly. You won't be able to draw out any differences with DTS or Dolby unless you really analyze the sound, and use really high end speakers, which both sound cards cannot provide. The Xonar DS would be better for movies, though for gaming I would say it's a tie. Creative Lab's CMSS-3D is better geared towards gaming for what I have heard, Xonar DG for headphone music (not for 5.1 headphones).
Score
July 30, 2012 12:35:33 AM

reprotected said:
Not exactly. You won't be able to draw out any differences with DTS or Dolby unless you really analyze the sound, and use really high end speakers, which both sound cards cannot provide. The Xonar DS would be better for movies, though for gaming I would say it's a tie. Creative Lab's CMSS-3D is better geared towards gaming for what I have heard, Xonar DG for headphone music (not for 5.1 headphones).

I really wished you replied earlier D; because I ordered it like 2 hours ago. Is it worth it to cancel the order and get the DS? Are you saying the DG will not work with my 5.1 headsets?
Score
July 30, 2012 2:54:53 AM

1: Both Dolby and DTS are VERY low quality audio formats, due to being heavily compressed and not being able to restore the original analog signal during conversion. DTS is considered the superior of the two though.

2: When using Dolby/DTS, the output at the other end of the digital connection will handle the conversion to analog. So while you go through the soundcards driver layer, you will be a slave of the digital to analog converter at the other end of the connection. A receiver would offer comprable quality to the soundcard, a headphone DAC will likely degrade audio quality significantly.

Point being, if you aren't connecting to a receiver, I highly recommend connecting via analog instead.

3: The DG is really meant to drive stereo headphones with its amp. The DS(X) is a slightly superior card over the DG, but both are put to shame by their big brother, the D1/DX.
Score
August 13, 2012 8:40:03 AM

I have a F&D A520 speaker and i am mostly into music...I currently use the onboard Realtek ALC883...Would upgrading to Asus Xonar DG or DGX help me in getting a crisper and more detailed sound ? I would also like to know if I can still use the front panel for headphones with mic.? The sound quality doesnt matter here as I use it just for calling over skype...
Score
!