Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Building A New System(Casual Gaming)

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 16, 2012 9:19:10 AM

I am building 4 OR 6 computers for casual Lan gaming with my friends. Everything considered my friends can spend about Rupees 30000 each which is US $600. This includes the monitor.

Games to be played on LAN with full settings on everything

COD 4 Mordern warfare
CS 1.6
Unreal III
Crysis
Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
Diablo 3
Devil May Cry 4
Far Cry

Games to be played At resolution 1080 P or 720 P on medium or high settings.

FIFA 12
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Assassin's Creed : RevelationsCall Of Duty : Modern Warfare 3
Diablo 3



Intel Build

i3 -2100 $120
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V $75
ASUS EAH6670 $92
WD Caviar Blue 500 GB HDD Internal Hard Drive (WD5000AAKX) $84
Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK $51
G.Skill F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL 4GB Ram $27
Cooler Master Elite 311 $41
Benq G2222HDL Black $140

Price $630.. Its not exactly $600 but it is the closest I can get with a 1080 P screen.

I am not going to upgrade this for the next Couple of years so can it run all the new games at 720P for the next 3 years. Plus I have included a Ivy Mobo so it would cost much to upgrade to ivy as they are said to be more energy efficient have better HD 4000 graphics.

I think we will not get i3 Ivy now or really looking at IVY upgrade in 2013 or later.


Forgot to add AMD ideas

Use a AMD APU

AMD A8-3870K with AMD Radeon™ HD 6550D Graphics $140

or use a
AMD FX 4100 - $122
Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H Motherboard - $79



a b 4 Gaming
April 16, 2012 11:40:40 AM

I would go the Intel route but change to the Pentium G620 CPU. It is almost as good as the i3-2100 in games but far cheaper. This gives you more cash to spend on the graphics because the HD 6670 isn't going to cut it at 1080P. I would aim for something like the HD 6850 or HD 7770.
April 16, 2012 11:57:10 AM

jmsellars1 said:
I would go the Intel route but change to the Pentium G620 CPU. It is almost as good as the i3-2100 in games but far cheaper. This gives you more cash to spend on the graphics because the HD 6670 isn't going to cut it at 1080P. I would aim for something like the HD 6850 or HD 7770.


Wouldn't a G620 bottleneck the GPU ? Well I dont need to play the latest games in 1080P but i want to play games that are less demanding on 1080P. I heard HD 7770 uses less power but it costs nearly $80 more :o  wayout of budget. I guess I need to cut down my expectations then and be satisfied with lesser resolution game play
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
April 16, 2012 12:10:52 PM

Totally agree with jmsellars1 the G620/630 if available and at HD 6850 or GTX 460 for best results (in your budget range). the 6670 might get you medium on @720, but not even low @ 1080p on most of the games you mentioned.

as prices vary internationally you could also look at these GPUs:

AMD HD 5770/6770, AMD HD 7750, nVidia GTX 550ti = $110 US price (this is the minimum I would ever build a entry level gaming system)
AMD HD 6790 = $130 US price
AMD HD 6850 =$140 US Price
nVidia GTX 460 =$140
a b 4 Gaming
April 16, 2012 12:31:50 PM

Nah the G620 wouldn't bottleneck it, it performs about the same as the FX-4100 (and FX-8120) in games. Also the CPU is fine regardless of resolution. Higher resolutions just put strain on the GPU.

EDIT: Also, there is a good chance that by the time you upgrade, socket 1155 may be gone altogether. So it may be worth just buying a cheaper H61 board so you can get a better graphics card.
a b 4 Gaming
April 16, 2012 2:17:24 PM

kingcobra85 said:
Wouldn't a G620 bottleneck the GPU ? Well I dont need to play the latest games in 1080P but i want to play games that are less demanding on 1080P. I heard HD 7770 uses less power but it costs nearly $80 more :o  wayout of budget. I guess I need to cut down my expectations then and be satisfied with lesser resolution game play


no bottle neck on most games (except SC2 likes quad core i5's)
Take a look at THG's article on sub $200 CPU's.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

a HD 6770/5770 should be only a few $ more than the 6670 and will perform acceptably on medium settings.
The G620/630 should be available for $40 less than an i3 2100 that should free up extra cash. a H61 MB could also net you a little savings. put as much as you can toward the GPU.
April 16, 2012 3:41:53 PM

jmsellars1 said:
Nah the G620 wouldn't bottleneck it, it performs about the same as the FX-4100 (and FX-8120) in games. Also the CPU is fine regardless of resolution. Higher resolutions just put strain on the GPU.

EDIT: Also, there is a good chance that by the time you upgrade, socket 1155 may be gone altogether. So it may be worth just buying a cheaper H61 board so you can get a better graphics card.


First off thank you both for taking the time to reply in such detail. I really appreciate it.

Wow your reply on the 1155 socket open my eyes :D 

jerreddredd said:
no bottle neck on most games (except SC2 likes quad core i5's)
Take a look at THG's article on sub $200 CPU's.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

a HD 6770/5770 should be only a few $ more than the 6670 and will perform acceptably on medium settings.
The G620/630 should be available for $40 less than an i3 2100 that should free up extra cash. a H61 MB could also net you a little savings. put as much as you can toward the GPU.


Okay then how do these two look


GIGABYTE HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 GV-R775OC-1GI
SAPPHIRE HD 6770 GDDR5 100338L

Surprisingly both of them are selling at the exact price. $124 .. So should I go with the energy efficient PCI 3.0 compatible card or is 6770 from sapphire better than a Gigabyte card. BTW the 6770 has crossfire X support while 7750 doesnt. Which means little as I am not going to get a Crossfire capable board if I opt for H61

PS : only reason I went for Gigabyte is that it is Overclocked to 880 MHz . Asus has similar model OC to 820
a b 4 Gaming
April 16, 2012 4:59:42 PM

You're not going to be able to Crossfire, it would be a bad idea anyway. I would go for the HD 7750 out of those two, the performance is similar IIRC and it consumes far less power. The HD 7770 (or HD 6850) would be a lot better if you can afford it though.
a b 4 Gaming
April 17, 2012 7:23:56 AM

the OC'd 6770 will likely be a few FPS faster in games. the 7750, while is uses less power is not very overclockable as it is at its max power already for the PCI-e slot (it doesn't use a aux pcie power cable, only the Pcie slot power from the MB.

My choice gaming wise would be the 6770. if I was putting in the office it would me the 7750.

like jmsellars1 said, it would be better to go with a HD 6850/7770. I will add a GTX 460 or HD 6790 to this list. these will all be significant performance gains. I would to try to scrape up enough $ for them:

THG's review and benchmarks (the 6770 and 5770 or essentially the same performance wise. these are also all 'stock' cards, so overclocked cards will perform slightly better:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7770-7750...
April 17, 2012 12:01:53 PM

Okay suggest me a good 6850 or 7770 card then. I will try increase my budget if the gains are so much better than 6770. I also know that 7770 beats 6850 at high resolution
a b 4 Gaming
April 17, 2012 4:35:12 PM

Sapphire 6850 is what I have in my little gamer, XFX, MSI, or Gigabyte are good names also.

Spelling edit
a b 4 Gaming
April 18, 2012 6:06:34 PM

ASUS make some decent cards as well, usually very quiet.
!