Sign in with
Your question

Cpu upgrade

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 29, 2012 9:31:37 AM

Hello, i was wondering what CPUs are and will be best for gamers by end of the year? Im currently running AMD Phenom II 4x 965 with Nvidia Zotac 580 3gb ed. Id like to get my shopping list for the fall/winter. I will be looking for Intel i7, hoping for a good overclock value and water cooling (maybe one of the packaged easy installs h80?). What do you guys think i should go for?

More about : cpu upgrade

July 29, 2012 9:46:41 AM

I personally like AMD more but that is just me. For gaming either get zambezi 8 core or if you are going intel get an i7
July 29, 2012 10:55:51 AM

Gurgled said:
Hello, i was wondering what CPUs are and will be best for gamers by end of the year? Im currently running AMD Phenom II 4x 965 with Nvidia Zotac 580 3gb ed. Id like to get my shopping list for the fall/winter. I will be looking for Intel i7, hoping for a good overclock value and water cooling (maybe one of the packaged easy installs h80?). What do you guys think i should go for?

AMD is getting out of the mainstream CPU market, so Intel will have to do.

There might and probably will be newer versions of the I7-3770k and i5-3570k or even a new socket that won't surprise me.

Best I can recommend is to save around $300-$350 for a high-end I7, $150-$250 for decent motherboard and $60-$120 for decent Memory/RAM.

So by the time you are ready to buy you have enough case to get what is the best recommended option.
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2012 12:31:57 PM

Quote:
I think you should wait for Haswell to come out.
GTX 580 3GB is still BOSS of a GPU even though some of the HD 7 anf GTX 6 series now beat it.
clock your 965BE to about 4.0GHz and add SSD.
your good.

wait for Haswell.

^+1

If you absolutely positively must upgrade around christmas, a 43xx series piledriver would be your cheapest option (assuming your mobo is am3+). 8 cores are wasted for gaming. The I7 is likewise wasted in games, as hyperthreading a 4-core is logically equivalent to 8, if not physically. If you want to replace you whole platform, the 3570k is your best bet in that case.

good luck!

!