Will A Q9450 and 4GB DDR2 800 RAM Bottleneck 7850?

Hi There guys,

As you can see from the thread title, I am wondering whether or not my Q9450 @ 2.7GHz and 4GB of DDR2 RAM will bottleneck the 7850 badly. I am a student with limited amounts of money and just recently bought a SSD which doesnt help my finance situation. I have enough for a 7850 which I can OC which gives me a very good card since they OC like crazy but how would my bottlenecking reduce my performance? I am getting a new card realistically only for BF3 and future games.
As I don't have much money, if the bottlenecking issues are quite bad then Ill have to wait for a completely new build in a few years as this is a Dell XPS 630i which I spent £700 on about 6 years ago. Since this is Dell, Im pretty sure with their motherboards they locked OCing which really screws me over.

So, how would the bottlenecking impact me? Would it just be a few FPS id lose since some people are saying the Q9450 is still a pretty solid CPU.

Thanks for the help.
14 answers Last reply
More about will q9450 ddr2 bottleneck 7850
  1. my last cpu was a q9400 i know u mentioned its a dell and all but i thought the xps were like the premium ones so look into overclocking in the bios if not u could probably pick up a cheap 775 board on ebay or something like that and oc. my q9400 was undervolted quite heavily (was high to begin with but cant remember exacts) but overclocked at the same time to 3.4 ish from stock 2.66 it didnt like going over 420mhz fsb without lots of volts and its not worth it for another 200mhz and then it run good with my 6950 which goes like a 7850 so if you can get some ocing i think you should be ok for bottlenecks for now
  2. Theres one problem when picking up a new board though, because Dell only want to put people into more hassle when you want to upgrade. The power switch for the computer is like a custom made connector which only connects to its custom Dell motherboard which is a real bummer. Ill look into this though.

    Would the DDR2 RAM @ 800 bottleneck?
  3. jasont78 said:
    my last cpu was a q9400 i know u mentioned its a dell and all but i thought the xps were like the premium ones so look into overclocking in the bios if not u could probably pick up a cheap 775 board on ebay or something like that and oc. my q9400 was undervolted quite heavily (was high to begin with but cant remember exacts) but overclocked at the same time to 3.4 ish from stock 2.66 it didnt like going over 420mhz fsb without lots of volts and its not worth it for another 200mhz and then it run good with my 6950 which goes like a 7850 so if you can get some ocing i think you should be ok for bottlenecks for now

    Dang! learn to use some punctuation, man.
  4. abekl said:
    Dang! learn to use some punctuation, man.


    Sorry, my editor had the night off last night! As i am not getting paid for this service, i'm sure the op will understand and manage get what little bits of useful information he or she chooses to use and go from there. I'm sorry, i'll try to do better next time sir!
  5. WuMyster said:
    Theres one problem when picking up a new board though, because Dell only want to put people into more hassle when you want to upgrade. The power switch for the computer is like a custom made connector which only connects to its custom Dell motherboard which is a real bummer. Ill look into this though.

    Would the DDR2 RAM @ 800 bottleneck?


    You should be right, if you were using a quicker gpu i would be a little more concerned maybe you could, if bios allows, mess with the timings a bit and drop the latencies down a little. You could also look at it as an incremental upgrade, for example you can take your gpu to a future mobo, cpu, ram upgrade when finances allowed.
  6. Thats what I'd wanted to do in the first place! I was afraid that people would say that the bottlenecks would make a big impact. My initial plan was to buy the GPU and then buy a completely new mobo, CPU and RAM.
  7. WuMyster said:
    Thats what I'd wanted to do in the first place! I was afraid that people would say that the bottlenecks would make a big impact. My initial plan was to buy the GPU and then buy a completely new mobo, CPU and RAM.

    if you can clock your cpu up just get a gpu
  8. jasont78 said:
    if you can clock your cpu up just get a gpu

    And what if i cant?
  9. WuMyster said:
    And what if i cant?

    replace the motherboard i wouldnt be to concerned with the power switch cut the connector off if you have too and put generics on. to turn a compu on you only have to short 2 terminals, there is no polarity to worry about you can turn a compu on with a screw driver touching the 2 pins, get creative.
  10. jasont78 said:
    replace the motherboard i wouldnt be to concerned with the power switch cut the connector off if you have too and put generics on. to turn a compu on you only have to short 2 terminals, there is no polarity to worry about you can turn a compu on with a screw driver touching the 2 pins, get creative.

    I do know about that way actually. I just want to hold off buying more things so that I can save up on a complete new build.
  11. WuMyster said:
    I do know about that way actually. I just want to hold off buying more things so that I can save up on a complete new build.

    as in like on ebay a cheap oc'ible board,have you even checked if you can oc your current board??
  12. jasont78 said:
    as in like on ebay a cheap oc'ible board,have you even checked if you can oc your current board??

    Yep, its not possible with the Q9xxx CPUs unfortunately. Apparently you can do it from the ESA software but not many people can get it to 3.0+ stable. People have trouble bumping it up by 0.01Ghz
  13. WuMyster said:
    Yep, its not possible with the Q9xxx CPUs unfortunately. Apparently you can do it from the ESA software but not many people can get it to 3.0+ stable. People have trouble bumping it up by 0.01Ghz

    see if you can get a cheap board on ebay and sell your existing one to shouldnt be much change over in cash that way and the q9xxx are easily capable of 3.4~3.6 with and aftermarket cooler like a cm 212 which are only 30 bucks and you can take it to your future builds. nuf said!
  14. jasont78 said:
    see if you can get a cheap board on ebay and sell your existing one to shouldnt be much change over in cash that way and the q9xxx are easily capable of 3.4~3.6 with and aftermarket cooler like a cm 212 which are only 30 bucks and you can take it to your future builds. nuf said!

    Thanks man, ill be doing this! (I think :P)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs DDR2 RAM Bottleneck