Fanless PC, possible?

Last response: in Systems
April 16, 2012 1:29:54 PM

Currently I have a Mini-ITX system:

Core i3 2105T + Stock fan
Gigabyte board
1.5TB Samsung SATA2 3.5"
Shuttle style case with an 80mm fan

I have seen some computers sold with these sort of specs which are fan-less, how would I go about doing this while keeping the heat acceptable, any ideas?

More about : fanless

a b B Homebuilt system
April 16, 2012 1:35:30 PM

This shouldn't be a problem with a 35W CPU and no graphics card. Just buy a decent passive heatsink for the CPU and a PSU like the Seasonic X-400.
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
April 16, 2012 1:39:28 PM

You need to minimize all heat.

Fanless PC's generally are not powerful systems. CPU heat sink is generally a heat collector on the CPU tied through heat pipes to a large heatsink bolted to the case.

Fanless PSU has the same internal construction.

Both add significantly to the cost of the system.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 16, 2012 1:44:58 PM

The only way to make a high end computer fanless quiet... is to watercool it.

Yours however is not gonna be a problem
April 16, 2012 1:47:00 PM

i think the biggest issues is removing heat from your case. without a fan the heat could build up and slowly cause the fanless heatsinks to increase to an intolerable heat. i think a principle that would be important to keep in mind is, heat rises. i would look for something that vents that heat naturally. i think choice of case would be as important as choice of pc parts.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 16, 2012 2:51:20 PM

+1
April 16, 2012 2:54:57 PM

It's not high end. All he needs is a passive CPu cooler and a fanless PSU... ~$100-150
a b B Homebuilt system
April 16, 2012 3:01:25 PM

Even though it's not high end, it would still be a good idea to create some vents in the top of the case. It might not be fully necessary but would certainly help.
April 16, 2012 3:13:00 PM

I have seen some computers sold with these sort of specs which are fan-less, how would I go about doing this while keeping the heat acceptable, any ideas?

Move to the north pole.
November 20, 2013 2:01:45 PM

I have a lot of experience with what you folks are saying. Rockdpm had a good thought, to watercool it. JSC mentioned you had to minimize all heat. otester was going to a lower end processor, which is good. Everything suggested here is good. Neon Neophyte was very correct, the case is critical. We finally have a case that is completely fanless with a full Intel Haswell i7 vpro technology processor. The case is completely sealed and looks like a giant 7" x 8" heatsink! It runs great and we have spent tens of thousands of dollars developing it. My VP is VERY proud.
!