How do you tell what part of you computer is not working?

G

I have brought a new motherboard(p87zz-v) and after I had put it in, the windows logo would come on then freeze and blue screen. I have taken out and reinstalled my graphics card(gtx 560 ti) but there is no difference. The memory diagnostics and hard drive chkdsk in the startup repair have shown nothing. I have tried the startup repair and nothing has happened, also have restored the system and nothing has happened. I even tried another hard drive from another computer, and same error. When I put the old motherboard back in, it would turn on for a few seconds and then turn off. I don't know what the problem could be, but before I splash out £200 on a new CPU, I want to know for sure

Specs:
I5 2310
8gb 2x4 1333mhz
Nvidia gtx 560 ti
Stock motherboard from advent and asus P8Z77-V

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
usually the strategy is "divide and conquer". You isolate each component by swapping it with known good components and also reduce the number of necessary components in the computer to a minimum.

In your case however, BSODs are usually related to a specific hardware issue, or memory issues. I would check to make sure your memory is good with Memtest+ for example, from UBCD (free download) first.

G

I have windows 7 build 7601. I can't use any programs because it cant get to the log on screen. The best I can get is command prompt from startup repair. I have loads of things on my hard drive so reinstalling windows would lose it all and I really don't want to do that! I don't think it's windows because the other hard drive with windows 7 aswell had the same problem. I have no specific error messages, apart from when I tried to do a system restore for the first time, it was 0x8000ffff but I did an earlier system restore and it was fine. If it helps, a few days ago I was experiencing some problems with aero saying my graphics card wasn't capable of aero effects, and no directX games would start unless I reinstalled my driver every time I turned on my computer

It sounds like your graphics card is dying or your windows installation is corrupt. No way to tell really without doing a clean install.

You can make yourself a live ubuntu linux CD or USB and boot off of that. That will give you access to your hard drive for backup purposes. After backing up your data, you can go ahead and do a clean install of windows.

I have windows 7 build 7601. I can't use any programs because it cant get to the log on screen. The best I can get is command prompt from startup repair. I have loads of things on my hard drive so reinstalling windows would lose it all and I really don't want to do that!

Seriously.. .if you change your mobo and dont resinstall Windows... all bets are off.

If you are lucky... Windows will detect and load appriopriate mobo drivers etc... it has worked for me in the past (same brand and family of motherboard) ... but it looks like you are not lucky here.. and there is no real alternative to doing a clean install of windows.

Your rationale of "I don't think it's windows because the other hard drive with windows 7 aswell had the same problem"... so you had a nother windows install not matched to the motherboard... and that didnt work either? how does that help your argument?

Just do it right...
Cheers

G

yes, the system light shows green, but all the others just blink on red once and startup, like they are just checking. i get one small beep but that means vga is recognised, there is no keyboard, or quick boot is disabled.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
yes, the system light shows green, but all the others just blink on red once and startup, like they are just checking. i get one small beep but that means vga is recognised, there is no keyboard, or quick boot is disabled.

Okay, best thing first is to get a Linux Boot CD like Ubuntu for free. Boot from that CD and use the Live option(s) to run the OS directly off the CD into a Live boot. Then see if the problems are still occuring (no BSODs in Linux, you might get kernel panics, etc). If the system is still not stable, it is hardware related, if it is stable, it seems your Windows installation is not good.