Sign in with
Your question

The last check before I order for my new build! Any suggestions plz?

Last response: in Systems
April 16, 2012 3:30:06 PM

Hey guys,

After posting several questions in this forum I finally decide to order all the components for my new PC tomorrow.

Just want to have a double-check before I go .

Mobo:Asus P9X79 PRO MB
CPU: INTEL CORE i7 3930K
CPU Cooler:p hanteks PH-TC14PE
RAM: Corsair 32gb (4x8gb) Ddr3 1600mhz Dominator Memory Kit
SSD: Crucial 256GB 2.5" M4
HDD: Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 7200RPM
CASE: Antec P193 V3
PSU: Antec CP-850
SVGA : Gigabyte GTX 560Ti OC 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card
SATA Cable: Need two for SSD and HDD

The last questions is:

Will the CPU cooler affect the room for RAM slots (I might need to use all of the 8 RAM slots later) and does it fit into Mobo and Case?

Any other issues to be noticed for this build?

Appreciate your help!

Deisler
April 16, 2012 3:49:53 PM

My only suggestion is to ditch the HDD you have, i have heard numerous times of the Seagate Barracuda having tons of issues, dying after 6months or less if not DOA.

Explains why its so cheap for a 1tb right now, me personally I would switch it for 2 500gb WD Blue/black's and setup in raid0 if you have a little extra cash for it
April 16, 2012 4:13:54 PM

You're going with X79 and a 560TI? What's the primary use for this build? I'd say cut the SSD in half and upgrade your GPU to a 7870 or 7950 now that they're affordable.

And why 32GB RAM? Even if this is a hardcore video editing system you'll most likely never use that all - drop that to 16GB and then invest the money elsewhere.
Related resources
April 16, 2012 4:23:21 PM

g-unit1111 said:
You're going with X79 and a 560TI? What's the primary use for this build? I'd say cut the SSD in half and upgrade your GPU to a 7870 or 7950 now that they're affordable.

And why 32GB RAM? Even if this is a hardcore video editing system you'll most likely never use that all - drop that to 16GB and then invest the money elsewhere.

+1
April 16, 2012 4:38:06 PM

Thans guys.

This PC is mainly used for scientific computing (C++/MATLAB) and FEA.

Not for gaming and MAYA/3Ds max

That is why I choose 560Ti and 32GB.
April 16, 2012 4:42:12 PM

Will the CPU cooler affect the room for RAM slots (I might need to use all of the 8 RAM slots later) and does it fit into Mobo and Case?

Any comments on this point folks?

April 16, 2012 4:50:57 PM

Deisler said:
Thans guys.

This PC is mainly used for scientific computing (C++/MATLAB) and FEA.

Not for gaming and MAYA/3Ds max

That is why I choose 560Ti and 32GB.

If you're not going to be gaming you should be going with a professional card like a Fire Pro or Quaddro over a 560TI. Even on a rendering / programming station you'll never use all 32GB. A Fire Pro would be ideal as if you're going with a 7800 or 7900 you can run up to 4 x monitors in full 1080p which will be ideal for a programming station.

Quote:

That fan is a good choice but if you're going for a dual fan / heat sink setup like that you should ditch the Corsair RAM and get a low profile set like the G.Skill Ares: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
April 16, 2012 5:03:56 PM

g-unit1111 said:
If you're not going to be gaming you should be going with a professional card like a Fire Pro or Quaddro over a 560TI. Even on a rendering / programming station you'll never use all 32GB. A Fire Pro would be ideal as if you're going with a 7800 or 7900 you can run up to 4 x monitors in full 1080p which will be ideal for a programming station.

Quote:

That fan is a good choice but if you're going for a dual fan / heat sink setup like that you should ditch the Corsair RAM and get a low profile set like the G.Skill Ares: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks for your comment.

I found most of my program uses at least 30GB RAM so that is why I want to have 32 or even 64 GB RAM.

Are you saying the Corsair RAM is too high to be put into the slot if a Phanteks PH-TC14PE cooler is present?

Thanks
April 16, 2012 5:09:38 PM

G.skill Ares is the same perfomance and u will be safe :) 
April 16, 2012 5:26:13 PM

Deisler said:
Thanks for your comment.

I found most of my program uses at least 30GB RAM so that is why I want to have 32 or even 64 GB RAM.

Are you saying the Corsair RAM is too high to be put into the slot if a Phanteks PH-TC14PE cooler is present?

Thanks

Yes - the tall heat sinks on the Dominator and Vengeance will not be good for installing any aftermarket coolers you want to use. If you're going liquid that's one thing but since you're using air that will make it difficult.
April 16, 2012 5:46:12 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Yes - the tall heat sinks on the Dominator and Vengeance will not be good for installing any aftermarket coolers you want to use. If you're going liquid that's one thing but since you're using air that will make it difficult.

I see..... But unfortunately I can't find any low-profile 8GB RAMs in www.ebuyer.com
Perhaps I can change the CPU cooler to a narrow one (which doesn't take extra room for RAMs??)
Any suggestions on these kinds of CPU cooler (I dont want to go for a liquid cooler)
April 16, 2012 6:03:29 PM

Deisler said:
I see..... But unfortunately I can't find any low-profile 8GB RAMs in www.ebuyer.com
Perhaps I can change the CPU cooler to a narrow one (which doesn't take extra room for RAMs??)
Any suggestions on these kinds of CPU cooler (I dont want to go for a liquid cooler)

This will work: http://www.ebuyer.com/319759-g-skill-32gb-4x8gb-ddr3-18...

There's not a lot of narrow coolers out there - but on the other hand if you wanted to go with like a Hyper 212 Evo or a Noctua NH-U9B they're a lot less inexpensive and more likely to not interfere with the RAM.
April 16, 2012 6:10:03 PM

I see the point for the high ram with the matlab. However I have to agree you should get a professional 2d/3d card, ATI firepro is cheap but Nvidia Quatros dominate business as far as independent or customized drivers for specific programs go. I have in the past seen FirePros actually not function properly in 3d rendering due to driver issues, as the programs are written and tested on Nvidia hardware.

Also, unless you plan on overclocking, the default cpu cooler is good enough, so you should drop the cooler if you are concerned about space and future RAM upgrading, Unless the system will be in an uncontrolled environment reaching extreme ambient conditions.
April 16, 2012 6:14:21 PM

hwangchan said:
I see the point for the high ram with the matlab. However I have to agree you should get a professional 2d/3d card, ATI firepro is cheap but Nvidia Quatros dominate business as far as independent or customized drivers for specific programs go. I have in the past seen FirePros actually not function properly in 3d rendering due to driver issues, as the programs are written and tested on Nvidia hardware.

Also, unless you plan on overclocking, the default cpu cooler is good enough, so you should drop the cooler if you are concerned about space and future RAM upgrading, Unless the system will be in an uncontrolled environment reaching extreme ambient conditions.

Thanks for responding.

What is the default CPU cooler? I dont think 3930K comes with a CPU-cooler.
April 16, 2012 6:17:31 PM

Deisler said:
Thanks for responding.

What is the default CPU cooler? I dont think 3930K comes with a CPU-cooler.

No it doesn't - SB-E is geared toward the enthusiast market rather than the consumer market and Intel assumes that most people who buy this type of CPU already have some sort of cooler or will be using their own.

Quote:

I've setup both Fire Pro and Quaddro systems - the Quaddros are way more difficult to work with than the Fire Pros are, and that's mainly due to NVIDIA's drivers that they use.
April 16, 2012 6:28:01 PM

g-unit1111 said:
No it doesn't - SB-E is geared toward the enthusiast market rather than the consumer market and Intel assumes that most people who buy this type of CPU already have some sort of cooler or will be using their own.

Quote:

I've setup both Fire Pro and Quaddro systems - the Quaddros are way more difficult to work with than the Fire Pros are, and that's mainly due to NVIDIA's drivers that they use.

I checked the website http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
and found 560ti is very good and better than some Quaddro. and it is good in terms of performance/price ratio.

What are those models in Quaddro that might be in a good performance/price ratio?
April 16, 2012 7:43:12 PM

g-unit1111 said:

Ever heard of RAMdisk? Not everyone here wants to make a gaming rig. The more RAM you have in a workstation, the less frustration will it cause for you while working on big projects.
April 16, 2012 8:46:28 PM

g-unit1111 said:

Quote:

Maybe it's the industry I was in, and the specific software, but the fire pros were basically not supported by my software vendors.

As to the 560TI vs a Firepro / Quadro: Basically, mainstream (gaming) graphics use one set of calculations (direct X), and professional programs (CAD) calculate graphics differently(vector based or Open 2d3D)

While both types of cards can (now) do both types of calculations, the professional cards are tailored towards the vector calculations and can support much larger working files.

I'm not sure what exactly your system is for, but if you are analyzing many high detail parts in 3D, you will want the pro cards, if you only have 1 or 2 parts with moderate to low detail, you could pass with the 560TI. Also, check with the software vendor of the software you will be running to see what the video card recommendations are. That might tell you if the 560Ti is enough.
April 16, 2012 9:13:12 PM

Normally I use ANSYS, ABAQUS, MATLAB (I wont play games in this PC cuz it is for work only)

GTX 560Ti v.s. Quadro 600

Now I think I like Quadro 600 better since I may need it for GPU acceleration in ANSYS 13 in the future. If I don't play games in this PC at all, it seems pointless to have a 560Ti, especially considering they are at the similar price now....

Choosing between Quadro 600 and 560Ti is really a headache for me.............lol
April 16, 2012 9:19:20 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's the industry I was in, and the specific software, but the fire pros were basically not supported by my software vendors.

I mainly setup systems for using Autodesk products and the Fire Pros work fine for what we need them to do.

Quote:
Now I think I like Quadro 600 better since I may need it for GPU acceleration in ANSYS 13 in the future. If I don't play games in this PC at all, it seems pointless to have a 560Ti, especially considering they are at the similar price now....

Yeah if this system isn't for playing games I'd advise against the 560TI.
April 17, 2012 11:22:56 AM

g-unit1111 said:
This will work: http://www.ebuyer.com/319759-g-skill-32gb-4x8gb-ddr3-18...

There's not a lot of narrow coolers out there - but on the other hand if you wanted to go with like a Hyper 212 Evo or a Noctua NH-U9B they're a lot less inexpensive and more likely to not interfere with the RAM.

After a complete search in Ebuyer, Dabs etc...., I couldn't find any low-profile 8GB quad-channel RAM.
So I think I may have to go for a water cooling if I want to fit RAM in the first slot....

Is H80 or H100 a good choice?
April 17, 2012 4:03:50 PM

Deisler said:
After a complete search in Ebuyer, Dabs etc...., I couldn't find any low-profile 8GB quad-channel RAM.
So I think I may have to go for a water cooling if I want to fit RAM in the first slot....

Is H80 or H100 a good choice?

Not really - air is usually safer than an H100 is. Maybe try this: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/32gb-(4x8gb)-corsair-ddr3-xms3-pc3-12800-(1600)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-11-11-11-30-xmp-15v
April 17, 2012 4:11:15 PM

try this one

I haven't gotten my hands on the 8x8gb yet getting it on july or something for my bday. but works wonder.

IMO usage of 30gb is a lot.

In my case my usage spikes from 20gb-23.xxgb but max I've seen was 24.7gb never higher and I though my work was really heavy, guess there is always something heavier.

go for Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 like this

IMO works great for me.

but if that doesn't fit your case a great cooler master hyper 212 EVO and add another fan and it's all great.

and btw the g.skill ripjaws Z rams are not tall like those dominator and vengeance as I would go with that if I were you.

edit: moving on

I use this on my work system.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

works wonders for me. but maybe you can make do with this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
have used one too and works wonders as well, actually i'm thinking of buying the bigger quadro but still can't find it cheap for now. haven't tried any firepro but heard they should perform well.
April 18, 2012 8:04:04 AM

Thanks for your help guys!

The thing is I have to choose the available components from Ebuyer otherwise that will be another requisition which needs extra work for IT staff and store manager. And I believe they don't like to work on that, sadly...

So I have determined to go for H80, which saves room for RAM and might enable me to upgrade to 8*8GB later.

Hopefully H80 works fine in my workstation and won't LEAK......

April 18, 2012 9:45:27 AM

H80 is the best choice for you and if you ever decide to OC you can...
April 18, 2012 12:14:55 PM

yeah H80 is not so bad actually, it's great. should have no problem with ram if you have those low profile ones.
May 12, 2012 3:31:04 AM

I think the H80 is an excellent choice as well. It will perform just as well as the best air coolers with none of the more complex water-cooling issues and you will have plenty of room around your CPU to put any sized ram you want in any dimm.

I have 2 - 24GB kits of ram. One G.Skill Ripjaws and one Corsair Dominator (blue) kit, they are both about the same height. The Corsair Dominator GT's (red) are the tall ones but, even that won't matter with a Corsair H80 or H100 CPU cooler.

As far as which one is better, the G.Skill's needed 2 RMA's in only 5 months, The Corsair Dominator's have been working great for over 1yr in the same PC that killed the G.Skill's.
!