Solved

Girlfriend spilled Mtn. Dew down the top of my case.. Help!

Hey guys,

I built my machine about 2 years ago, no problems with it, etc. until two days ago my girlfriend was using my tower as a nightstand and spills mountain dew down the top vent of my case...

By the time I realized this had happened, I couldn't really tell exactly what had been touched by the liquid. All that I can tell is where the sticky residue is, which doesn't appear to touch the graphics card, processor, ram, etc..

What appears to be touched/ruined is all of the ports and plugins at the bottom where the liquid kind of pooled. There appears to be a "trail" of sorts down the back side of my motherboard where the liquid ran.

Here's my question:

Will I be able to get away with just replacing my mobo/processor if the gpu/ram/psu/etc. weren't touched and the system never booted/shorted?

How would you guys reccommend I go about troubleshooting exactly what is functional and what isn't, since I can't boot and I don't have a second system to plug and swap in?

Thanks for your time and help!
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about girlfriend spilled case help
  1. wow,... this issue has come through here so many times.

    Like you said, replace the mobo and CPu if they don't still work.. BTW. next case you get.... Make sure it doesn't have a Flat top on it to set drinks.... Women love to sit coffee/drinks ont he computer when they want more attention than the game you play..... Typical (non-thinker of a mans RIG)

    Anywho if you mobo and cpu doesn't work and you replace it then check you gpu and rest afterwards... if the rest still work, then your good as gold. Check your PSU that. if sticky stuff reached your mobo, it could have gotten your Power Supply.

    If you run into problems later down the road.... then you will know what to do. Replace what gives you issues. Most components you can simply wipe off with a substance/compound ( ibelieve its Rubbing alchohol or ssomething else)
  2. Best answer
    If you have NOT tried to power up.
    1) remove MB, Place in distilled water, agitae for 10 Min.
    2) replace water with alcohol (use 91%) agitate for 10 Min
    3) heat oven to 100 degrees, turn oven off and place MB in oven for 30 min.
    4) leave sit for min of 1 Hour.

    Can do this to GPU if you think any go on it.
    Can Also do to PSU

    For connectors that were connected to the MB and in path, Clean by spraying distilled water into connectors followed by spaying alcohol. Leave dry for 2 hours.

    With the system in bare bones config. One stick of memory, no HDD/DVD drive. Try to see if it will post. ie Beep error - no video. Then add video card back in should be able to boot to bios, then add other sticks of ram, DVD and HDD - retry as you add components back in.

    If You already tried powering on - FORGET what I said as probably fried components.
  3. Rockdpm said:
    wow,... this issue has come through here so many times.

    . BTW. next case you get.... Make sure it doesn't have a Flat top on it to set drinks.... Women love to sit coffee/drinks ont he computer when they want more attention than the game you play..... Typical (non-thinker of a mans RIG)



    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=nzxt+phantom&x=0&y=0

    And like Retired said, if it hasn't been powered up, it may be salvageable. The shorts don't occur unless the machine has been fired up with the liquid there to do the damage.
  4. Don't just blame the ladies, A few members of the opposite sex have been know to try an get ther computer drunk by force feeding Beer, possibly rum and coke included.
  5. RetiredChief said:
    Don't just blame the ladies, A few members of the opposite sex have been know to try an get ther computer drunk by force feeding Beer, possibly rum and coke included.



    Yea, well, luckily I'm gay and my significant other is almost as much of a nerd as I am. (We're both what I guess you would call "straight-acting" I don't have to worry about him dragging me out to go shopping for clothes, going to see some boring Mathew Mcconaughey romantic comedy, or thinking my computer tower is just the cutest little table he ever did see!
  6. ** Replace what gives you issues**
    She won't like that at all.....
    :P
    Moto
  7. Motopsychojdn said:
    ** Replace what gives you issues**
    She won't like that at all.....
    :P
    Moto

    :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  8. RetiredChief said:
    If you have NOT tried to power up.
    1) remove MB, Place in distilled water, agitae for 10 Min.
    2) replace water with alcohol (use 91%) agitate for 10 Min
    3) heat oven to 100 degrees, turn oven off and place MB in oven for 30 min.
    4) leave sit for min of 1 Hour.

    Can do this to GPU if you think any go on it.
    Can Also do to PSU

    For connectors that were connected to the MB and in path, Clean by spraying distilled water into connectors followed by spaying alcohol. Leave dry for 2 hours.

    With the system in bare bones config. One stick of memory, no HDD/DVD drive. Try to see if it will post. ie Beep error - no video. Then add video card back in should be able to boot to bios, then add other sticks of ram, DVD and HDD - retry as you add components back in.

    If You already tried powering on - FORGET what I said as probably fried components.


    Here's what I'm worried about. I didn't realize this happened until I tried to boot the machine and nothing happened..

    Technically, It hasn't been booted because when the power button is pushed - nothing happens, but I've definately tried to boot it (once).
  9. I would try cleaning it as suggested, unless you want to use it as an opportunity to upgrade. From your story it sounds like the stuff had a chance to dry (except for where the pop pooled up at the bottom), which may have created some high resistance shorts, which could prevent the system from turning on properly, but not enough to damage anything permanently.
    Electronics can be fairly resilient if you are lucky, and the worst case scenario is you waste an afternoon on it.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some PSU's have some short-protection in them which could be keeping your PC from powering up, but also preventing any damage.
  10. Another home run for the Chief!!
  11. Yea, it not booting up is way better than hearing a pop of a capacitor. There's still a good chance that it will work if properly cleaned.
  12. From my liquid spilled experience.. an issue like this effects only the PSU and Motherboard. I would bet the CPU and GPU are still fine... If thats reassuring.

    As for RetiredCheifs technique, it's worth giving a try.
  13. Best answer selected by bertimus.
  14. Thanks for all y'alls help!

    I've gone ahead and decided to just take this opportunity to upgrade to a newer MOBO/CPU (Z77/i5 2500k) since I've got some spare cash sitting around anyway!

    Just out of curiosity, though, I very well may try Chief's cleaning system to see how it works.
  15. Why do these stories always start with "My wife/girlfriend/little brother/roomate" did it?
    Just wondering. :-
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Cases Systems Product