Sony DSC-W5 or Canon IXUS 50?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 21, 2005 6:22:47 PM

Hello

I am looking to buy a basic but reasonably good quality digital camera for
everyday use. I would like it to have excellent image quality and be able
to take decent quality movies. I am torn between the Sony DSC-W5 and the
Canon IXUS 50. I like the reports I've heard about the image quality of the
Sony, but I like the small size of the Canon. Has anyone here had
experience of either (or ideally both) of these cameras?

All the best
Keith

More about : sony dsc canon ixus

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 6:22:48 PM

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:22:47 GMT, "Keith" <a.b@c.d> wrote:

>Hello
>
>I am looking to buy a basic but reasonably good quality digital camera for
>everyday use. I would like it to have excellent image quality and be able
>to take decent quality movies. I am torn between the Sony DSC-W5 and the
>Canon IXUS 50. I like the reports I've heard about the image quality of the
>Sony, but I like the small size of the Canon. Has anyone here had
>experience of either (or ideally both) of these cameras?
>
>All the best
>Keith

I have had the DCS W1, previous model to the $5, for some time
and have had excellent results. It is a full featured small
camera, seems to be a little bigger than the Canon.
It has a larger LCD screen 2.5 inches, also the lens
housing is threaded to enable lens adapters to be attached,
and there is a tripod thread.
June 22, 2005 1:28:57 AM

"irwell" <hook@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:22:47 GMT, "Keith" <a.b@c.d> wrote:
>
>>Hello
>>
>>I am looking to buy a basic but reasonably good quality digital camera for
>>everyday use. I would like it to have excellent image quality and be able
>>to take decent quality movies. I am torn between the Sony DSC-W5 and the
>>Canon IXUS 50. I like the reports I've heard about the image quality of
>>the
>>Sony, but I like the small size of the Canon. Has anyone here had
>>experience of either (or ideally both) of these cameras?
>>
>>All the best
>>Keith
>>

> I have had the DCS W1, previous model to the $5, for some time
> and have had excellent results. It is a full featured small
> camera, seems to be a little bigger than the Canon.
> It has a larger LCD screen 2.5 inches, also the lens
> housing is threaded to enable lens adapters to be attached,
> and there is a tripod thread.

Thanks for your reply, irwell. I was leaning slightly towards the Sony due
to its reported excellent image quality. My only concern was that it may be
a bit too large or heavy to carry in a pocket.

All the best
Keith
June 22, 2005 1:28:58 AM

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:28:57 GMT, "Keith" <not.my@real.address> wrote:

>"irwell" <hook@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:22:47 GMT, "Keith" <a.b@c.d> wrote:
>>
>>>Hello
>>>
>>>I am looking to buy a basic but reasonably good quality digital camera for
>>>everyday use. I would like it to have excellent image quality and be able
>>>to take decent quality movies. I am torn between the Sony DSC-W5 and the
>>>Canon IXUS 50. I like the reports I've heard about the image quality of
>>>the
>>>Sony, but I like the small size of the Canon. Has anyone here had
>>>experience of either (or ideally both) of these cameras?
>>>
>>>All the best
>>>Keith
>>>

>> I have had the DCS W1, previous model to the $5, for some time
>> and have had excellent results. It is a full featured small
>> camera, seems to be a little bigger than the Canon.
>> It has a larger LCD screen 2.5 inches, also the lens
>> housing is threaded to enable lens adapters to be attached,
>> and there is a tripod thread.
>

>Thanks for your reply, irwell. I was leaning slightly towards the Sony due
>to its reported excellent image quality. My only concern was that it may be
>a bit too large or heavy to carry in a pocket.
>
>All the best
>Keith

I carry mine all the time in my pant's pocket,
have got used to it. The beauty of this is you
can just rip of a series of shots when you see
something that catches your eye, edit later.
June 22, 2005 11:42:26 AM

> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:28:57 GMT, "Keith" <not.my@real.address> wrote:
>
>>"irwell" <hook@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> I have had the DCS W1, previous model to the $5, for some time
>>> and have had excellent results. It is a full featured small
>>> camera, seems to be a little bigger than the Canon.
>>> It has a larger LCD screen 2.5 inches, also the lens
>>> housing is threaded to enable lens adapters to be attached,
>>> and there is a tripod thread.
>>

>>Thanks for your reply, irwell. I was leaning slightly towards the Sony
>>due
>>to its reported excellent image quality. My only concern was that it may
>>be
>>a bit too large or heavy to carry in a pocket.
>>
>>All the best
>>Keith
>>
> I carry mine all the time in my pant's pocket,
> have got used to it. The beauty of this is you
> can just rip of a series of shots when you see
> something that catches your eye, edit later.

Thanks again. I've only seen pictures of the camera, so I'm grateful for
feedback from any one who's handled one. I think I'm going to order the
Sony. Now where's my credit card...

All the best
Keith
June 22, 2005 3:15:38 PM

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 19:21:40 -0700, irwell <hook@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>Thanks for your reply, irwell. I was leaning slightly towards the Sony due
>>to its reported excellent image quality. My only concern was that it may be
>>a bit too large or heavy to carry in a pocket.
>>
>>All the best
>>Keith
>>
> I carry mine all the time in my pant's pocket,
>have got used to it. The beauty of this is you
>can just rip of a series of shots when you see
>something that catches your eye, edit later.

Keith I don't know how small the other one is but I have the Sony
DCSW5 and it fits fine even in my top pocket on a t-shirt I have only
had it for a couple of weeks and am not experienced but some friends
who have other cameras really love my Sony, I like the idea of the
32MB built in memory for emergencies. The battery life is excellent on
the Sony too. The burst and multi burst is fun but I imagine most
cameras have that, I used it golfing and the finish product was really
neat.

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"
June 22, 2005 7:49:52 PM

"Brad" <bjdbradnospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 19:21:40 -0700, irwell <hook@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>>Thanks for your reply, irwell. I was leaning slightly towards the Sony
>>>due
>>>to its reported excellent image quality. My only concern was that it may
>>>be
>>>a bit too large or heavy to carry in a pocket.
>>>
>>>All the best
>>>Keith
>>>
>> I carry mine all the time in my pant's pocket,
>>have got used to it. The beauty of this is you
>>can just rip of a series of shots when you see
>>something that catches your eye, edit later.
>
> Keith I don't know how small the other one is but I have the Sony
> DCSW5 and it fits fine even in my top pocket on a t-shirt I have only
> had it for a couple of weeks and am not experienced but some friends
> who have other cameras really love my Sony, I like the idea of the
> 32MB built in memory for emergencies. The battery life is excellent on
> the Sony too. The burst and multi burst is fun but I imagine most
> cameras have that, I used it golfing and the finish product was really
> neat.
>

> Brad
>
> LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
> WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
> SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"

Thanks, Brad. You and irwell have convinced me that the Sony is the one to
go for.

All the best
Keith
June 25, 2005 6:45:17 AM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:49:52 GMT, "Keith" <a.b@c.d> wrote:

>Thanks, Brad. You and irwell have convinced me that the Sony is the one to
>go for.
>
>All the best
>Keith

Good for you I know you will like it......I also like the handling of
it with the ridge on the front to pick it up with you will understand
when you get it.......oh by the way another nice thing is that in an
emergency it can take regular double a's ......they don't last as long
as the rechargeable ones but in a pinch they work fine.....one fully
recharged set of the included batteries will easily last a full day of
shooting though......

!