Sign in with
Your question

Salvaging From A 15 Year Old PC?

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
July 29, 2012 4:13:08 PM

Hey anyone think i could salvage a case and monitor from a 15 year old computer? I need the parts for a new build.

More about : salvaging year

a b ) Power supply
July 29, 2012 4:22:43 PM

A monitor that is 15 years old is likely to be one of those fat CRTs right.

You probably could salvage the case.

Not sure this will help but i have a 12 yr old compaq computer (compaq deskpro), when i tried putting a asrock AM2 motherboard in, the stand offs were alittle higher than newer boards so the audio jacks wouldn't fit in the I/O plate...
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
July 29, 2012 4:37:11 PM

I guess ill need a monitor then
Related resources
July 29, 2012 4:42:25 PM

I'd check to make sure the case front panel audio connector (if it has those cables) is HD audio and not AC'97. You lose automatic jack sensing if it's not. It's a minor inconvenience. However, is the case after market or OEM? If it's OEM there's a chance there's a proprietary power,reset,hd led, status led, connector being used which means you won't be able to wire it to your new board without cutting and redoing the connectors.
July 29, 2012 7:52:24 PM

a 15 year old rig has nothing worth salvaging, a new rig would be much more energy efficient and run 1000x faster
a b ) Power supply
July 29, 2012 8:05:30 PM

My 12 year old computer (i'm 13...) draws less then 100W
July 29, 2012 8:23:03 PM

Quote:
Hey anyone think i could salvage a case and monitor from a 15 year old computer? I need the parts for a new build.

all new pc motherboards have a hdmi output

you can simply plug this into any tv that has come out in the last 5 years or so

some tv's have vga as well which you could use

better to do this than use that moniter
a b ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
July 29, 2012 8:51:54 PM

look at the connector of the monitor that plugs into the pc. if it has 2 rows of pins - its junk. Throw it out.
If it has 3 rows of pins then it will work in a new system as long as the new graphics card has a vga connector.

Anything else from the 15yr old system isn't worth salvaging unless its been upgraded since then. If it has a large hard drive or a dvd drive then you maybe able to use them if your new system has an IDE port on the motherbd.

The case may or may not work with a new motherbd as many prebuilt systems (HP, Compaq, Dell...) did not use standard layouts back then so a new motherbd might not even fit.

Dont even think of using a power supply that old.
!