CM's Silent Pro M 700W

bambinobomber

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Will that PSU be enough to power an Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX560 Ti DirectCU II?

My online retailer doesn't offer anymore any of the Corsair models, and I'd rather not get a Thermaltake Powersupply since they seem to have even worse rep than CM's. Besides Corsair, Tt and CM, the only other brand of PSU offered online in my country is Enermax, but the highest priced model I can get my hands on is just at 500w.

Is it true that Silent Pro is of much better quality than the rest of the Cooler Master models? I won't do any overclocking with GPU and CPU.

The rest of my parts will be:

Case: NZXT Phantom
MOBO: Intel DH67BL-B3
CPU: Intel Core i5-2320 @3.0 GHz
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Cache 32MB, 7200 RPM, SATA III (6.0 Gb/s)

bambinobomber

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
As I said before I only have access to the Corsair (They have been out of stock for months where I live), Cooler Master, Thermaltake and Enermax (the models available here are below 500w) brands. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

I currently own a Thermaltake TR2 600w that has been working fine for months alongisde a GTX 550 ti, but the 12v rail only has 32a in v1 and 24a in v2. The Asus card seems to need +38A in the 12v rail, so that's why I was looking for a better PSU.

That assumes a single rail for the PSU and accounts for the WHOLE system, not just the GPU. There is more than 38A available on that TT unit overall, anyway. It's not the best quality unit, but it's still quite a bit overkill for a 560 Ti.

You'll be fine, trust me.

G

that card does not need 38 amps!
if you look at the review i post that would be more wattage needed for your entire system.
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 176 Watts
using two 6 pin power connection it cannot go over 225 watts

you can use the PSU you have.

(btw, sorry i didn't understand what brands were available)

G

ah!
it might make it easier if you can list what corsair or enermax model you can get.
(honestly even a CX430v2 could do it with an 6 pin adapter, i would do it but i won't recommend it to others.)

The TR2 models are the worst ever, the 500W model failed to complete the test @ hardwaresecrets labs, only ToughPower series are the best.

There's nothing wrong about the Silent pro series, it's very good quality compared to GX & Extreme series, reviews state nothing bad about this unit, but yea 700W is overkill but it will be Wattage-Proof if you ever wanted to upgrade to high end cards.

Why? As stated above nothing wrong about the Silent Pro unit.

G

it is not wise to buy a PSU with twice the wattage needed. getting too large of a PSU is almost as bad as too small. efficiency takes a nosedive under 20% load and the rig will idle as the PSU sits there getting hot doing nothing.
a 700 watt would be appropriate for a SLI/Xfire configuration and considering the mother has 1 pci x16 slot, no need for that, at all.

G

i am not implying:
Debunking Power Supply Myths
eff1.png

the OPs rig running ~300 watt @ 100% load would only get the "front end" of the efficiency curve with a 700 watt psu (which would be a little further to the right in this image as it is for a 900 watt PSU graph). so even at full load they would not get the best efficiency of the PSU.

though more directly to the low idle usage; as i said efficiency takes a big nosedive under 20% load. as i am sure you are aware the less the efficiency the more heat gets generated by the PSU. getting a 700 PSU would need to have the system idle no less than 140 watts to help it from generating heat and causing the capacitors to age (it is heat and nothing else that affects a capacitor).

so getting a too large of a PSU is not "future proofing" but actually limiting its life expectancy. when a 500 watt PSU; with a rig idling at 100 watts and max load of 380 watts would keep the PSU within a better efficiency curve; above 20% and below 80%.

OP please ignore my "instructonal" post

From the link you posted;
The first system causes this high-performance power supply (900W PSU used in the test) to only run at 73% to 81% efficiency, depending on input voltage. Obviously, there's absolutely no need for a 900W power supply if you're running this type of computer
The midrange system looks quite a bit better, allowing the PSU to run at 80% to 88% efficiency
A PSU running with that efficient at this load is still superb, I don't get your point again.
For the third system, a 900W power supply actually might start to make sense. It's still more than you need, but having a bit of extra room to grow isn't a bad idea. This system idles at over 300W, so it achieves a minimum 86% efficiency with 120VAC. When running a game or other demanding task, the PSU is finally able to reach its potential and provide 89% efficiency with 230VAC (or 87.5% with 120VAC).
A 900W PSU isn't a bad idea for a 500W consuming system.

G

you trolling, bro?
i am glad you understand the article but perhaps you cannot understand how it relates to the topic at hand:
a 700 watt PSU is appropriate for a system that runs idle @~140 watts and ~560 watts on 100% load.

the OPs rig will not idle nearly @140 watts (20% of 700 watts) nor will not exceed 300 watts (not even 50% of a 700 watt PSU) under load. having a bit of room is not a bad idea but too much room is. which is the point of that part of the article and my posts

Trolling? yea for facts.
I thought that that "80Plus" certification which means at any load the minimum efficiency will be 80% across the board.
Also, the whole article and your assumption might be based on non theoretical facts, only one PSU was tested at different loads.

G

no. the 80+ or any certification only means it was tested at 20% 50% and 100% loads.
On Efficiency
Understanding the 80 Plus Certification
80 PLUS
i have read a lot more than read 1 article. i am not making any assumption but presenting facts.

but as the old saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink."

G

not "my problem" per se but what gets often over looked; what a system idles at.

there is no sense in buying a quality 80+/bronze/silver/gold certified PSU and then having it run at in inefficient manner while idling. the added expense in power is minimal but the heat generated will decrease the lifespan of the PSU. if someone can afford to shell out the money for a $80- $120 850 watt certified 80+ PSU and have it die within the same time period as a $30 600 watt cooler master, well i guess there is no problem.

but when when folks get too large of a PSU for "future proofing" or thinking bigger is better so it will last longer, yes then there is a problem.

G

sorry missed that . .maybe it would give more results looking for PSU myths instead of overkill.
PSU articles
the tuts on hardware secrets about power are rather good.