Sign in with
Your question

I want to build a lowcost PC with upgrade potential. Suggestions?

Last response: in Systems
April 16, 2012 5:23:56 PM

Approximate Purchase Date:

Budget Range: 300-400 (probably will be buying parts one by one rather than at the same time)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, watching movies, video editing, music

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, Amazon.com

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Nvidia onboard graphics

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: N/A

Additional Comments: I had a desktop that I had been using since 2003 and for the last several years I had been upgrading it as best I could till I maxed out its potential. It finally died on me a few months ago I'm finally ready to take the plunge into buying something that's current. To cut down the cost of the system I'd prefer onboard nvidia graphics to having a graphics card, at least for now since I don't have much money to spend. I have a PCI video capture card that I'd like to use as well with the new build. I'd like the ability to add on a sound card as well in the future. As far as gaming capabilities is concerned, the performance doesn't have to be stellar. Just enough to run any current games at medium to high settings.

Thanks
April 16, 2012 5:43:08 PM

MonkeyFondue said:
Approximate Purchase Date:

Budget Range: 300-400 (probably will be buying parts one by one rather than at the same time)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, watching movies, video editing, music

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, Amazon.com

Country: (e.g.: India) we need to know where these parts are being assembled

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Nvidia onboard graphics

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: N/A

Additional Comments: I had a desktop that I had been using since 2003 and for the last several years I had been upgrading it as best I could till I maxed out its potential. It finally died on me a few months ago I'm finally ready to take the plunge into buying something that's current. To cut down the cost of the system I'd prefer onboard nvidia graphics to having a graphics card, at least for now since I don't have much money to spend. I have a PCI video capture card that I'd like to use as well with the new build. I'd like the ability to add on a sound card as well in the future. As far as gaming capabilities is concerned, the performance doesn't have to be stellar. Just enough to run any current games at medium to high settings.

Thanks

You will Have to buy several Parts together most notably the RAM( though you could buy this in bits .,MB ,PSU and CPU so it will be expensive
Stage 1?
Is your case adequete if not You will have plunge for a new one
STage 2
CPU make it a ivy bridge which is out later this month it features intel 4000 intergrated graphic not stellar but the best CPu based Graphics card avaliable $225
PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $70
MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $100
RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $30
Now i dont know much about the americian markets so you might be able to get some off theese cheaper but 400 the min you could spend in one go if you want a computer to last or you could go down the AMD route OFC but a i5 will last alot longer .
April 16, 2012 5:52:24 PM

Exactly what i was thinking, getting a Z77 and a 1155 Ivy Bridge CPU. So since you will be buying parts at different time as you go. You wanna be able to get parts that a good and hold up for a long time instead of spending quick cash or crappy stuff
Related resources
April 16, 2012 5:56:56 PM

Is that motherboard good with overclocking? That was one thing that helped me extend the usability of my former computer. Also, how good are intel onboard graphics in comparison to the nvidia chipset? I know the intel onboard graphics for laptops are pretty terrible (it's what I have on my laptop right now).

Thanks for the replies. Greatly appreciated.
April 16, 2012 5:57:19 PM

Quote:

There's no such thing as NVIDIA onboard graphics unless you're using a laptop. You'll either have to use Intel HD 3000 (which isn't that great) or the AMD Llano's built in Radeon 6670 (decent but again not that great). You won't be able to run any game on mid - high end settings until you're able to afford a decent GPU.

Quote:

CPU make it a ivy bridge which is out later this month it features intel 4000 intergrated graphic not stellar but the best CPu based Graphics card avaliable $225
PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817139028 $70
MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813121506 $100
RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231277 $30
Now i dont know much about the americian markets so you might be able to get some off theese cheaper but 400 the min you could spend in one go if you want a computer to last or you could go down the AMD route OFC but a i5 will last alot longer .

Not obtainable on a $400 budget. I don't even really think you can stretch a lot without sacrificing in a few areas. I'll post my ultra low budget builds and see what you think:

Intel build:

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 - $49.99 ($10.00 MIR)
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX500 - $59.99 ($20.00 MIR)
Motherboard: Intel BOXDH67DLCB3 - $89.99
CPU: 3.3GHz Intel Core i3-2120 - $127.99
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 1333MHz 1.5V - $42.99
HD: 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue - $79.99
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99

Total: $469.93 - $30.00 MIR = $439.93

AMD Build:

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 - $49.99 ($10.00 MIR)
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX500 - $59.99 ($20.00 MIR)
Motherboard: Asrock A75 Extreme 6 - $89.99
CPU: 2.7GHz AMD A6-3820K - $119.99
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 1333MHz 1.5V - $42.99
HD: 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue - $79.99
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99

Total: $466.93 - $30.00 MIR = $436.93

There's a few differences between the builds - the AMD will give you slightly better graphics. However the Intel is a far better CPU and will be better for upgrading when you can get a good GPU like a Radeon 7850. But on the other hand - the AMD has a rarity in its' price range with the unlocked multiplier which you can overclock using the Asrock's UEFI BIOS. That will give you a slight significant performance boost.
!