VPN: Either local Internet OR LAN resources

chimp0

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Hi there,
Thanks for reading.

I'm having a tough time with VPNing into work. I'm the network admin. I set up the Windows 2003 RRAS server. I'm finding that the remote clients have "either / or" connectivity. Once a client is connected, it either has local Internet without LAN resources OR it has the needed LAN resources but no local Internet.

I can watch continuous pings work, fail and start up again depending on the VPN connection.

Thanks again for reading.
Bob

By default, Windows redirects all internet requests through the VPN. To change this behavior, locate the VPN client connection, right click Properties, select the Networking tab, open TCP/IP properties, General->Advanced, and uncheck "Use default gateway on remote network".

chimp0

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Hi Eibgrad, thanks for responding. That is what I toggle to get the either-or symptom. When I uncheck "Use default", the local client can reach the Internet but not the work LAN resources. When it IS checked, the client loses the Internet but gains the work LAN.

chimp0

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Yeah, different. Home network has 192.168.0.0. Work internal network has 192.168.3.0 with RRAS server handing out 192.168.7.0. Maybe no route between 3.0 and 7.0?