Sign in with
Your question

Question regarding i5 vs i7

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 29, 2012 5:37:13 PM

Hi,

I have done some searching through various other posts, but since I am not very educated in pc technology I am not too sure about going about this so any input/advice would be great.

The following thread- http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/326220-28-gaming was posted in Feb.; for the most part does the information still ring true today, almost 6 months later?

I am looking to buy a new desktop that I would use mainly for gaming (wow, diablo3, call of duty). I also use Adobe photoshop. What I like to be able to do is run several applications AT THE SAME TIME: such as play a game while listening to music (from harddrive or streaming online), be browsing the internet with several open windows, and uploading pics from my digital camera - without lag.

From looking into various forum posts I see that since I have a budget (apx $900) I might be best off getting an i5 vs an i7. I do not know anything about oc'ing or specialty cooling. I was thinking about getting the evga gtx 560ti, as a friend of mine that builds pcs said that would do everything I wanted.

I would like to have a decent amount of RAM- like 6?, with the ability to expand at a later time (due to budget).

I apologize if some of my questions are not in the correct forum subject but since I am first and foremost looking for a sweet GPU, (which I have chosen already) my next choice will be which PCU can best suit my needs without breaking bank on my budget...

Thanks for any input!

More about : question

a b à CPUs
July 29, 2012 5:42:44 PM

i5 is still fine for gaming

6gb of ram wont be right as its dual channel

so 4gb or 8gb or 16gb etc
a c 480 à CPUs
July 29, 2012 5:59:48 PM

An i5 is fine for your needs. Listening to music while playing a game does not add much to CPU overhead. If you were doing a complex batch Photoshop job while playing games, then Hyper Threading found in Core i7 CPU could come in handy.
Related resources
a c 345 à CPUs
July 29, 2012 6:08:52 PM

Few games use more than 2 or 3 cores. That is why the extra hyperthreads of the i7 is not worth the extra $100 vs an i5.
No game today, uses more than 2-3gb by itself, that is why 8gb is the default recomendation for gamers.

On the other hand, some apps, like photoshop can use all the threads they can find and all the ram that is available.

Since ram is cheap, I think a 16gb kit might be appropriate. A 2 x 8gb kit of ddr3 1600 ram seems right.
Ram vendors will not support configurations of ram not bought in a single kit. Mostly, it will work, but it is better to get what you need all at once.

There is a small price premium for a "K" suffix cpu, perhaps 5%.
In return, you get the option to raise the multiplier, and gain a 20% performance bost.
I think it is wise to preserve that option, even though you need not OC initially.
All you need is a Z77 based motherboard, and an aftermarket cpu cooler.

When you say buy a new desktop, do you mean buy a prebuilt unit, or build one yourself.

At your budget, it probably makes sense to build one yourself.

When you say, you are looking for a sweet gpu, and yet have chosen it already, which do you mean?

The PSU you need will be determined by the graphics card you pick.
Newer 28nm based graphics cards are more efficient, and need less powerful power supplies.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2012 6:18:15 PM

Quote:
I am looking to buy a new desktop that I would use mainly for gaming (wow, diablo3, call of duty). I also use Adobe photoshop. What I like to be able to do is run several applications AT THE SAME TIME: such as play a game while listening to music (from harddrive or streaming online), be browsing the internet with several open windows, and uploading pics from my digital camera - without lag.

i can do that with my i3 2120 but i am NOT suggesting that for you because of your budget; i am saying that is really not a problem with the recent generation(s) of cpus.
Quote:
From looking into various forum posts I see that since I have a budget (apx $900) I might be best off getting an i5 vs an i7. I do not know anything about oc'ing or specialty cooling. I was thinking about getting the evga gtx 560ti, as a friend of mine that builds pcs said that would do everything I wanted.

i may not be entirely correct but i believe photoshop will have little performance with an i7; well the difference between 0.05 milliseconds compared to 0.02 milliseconds. now video editing and encoding is entirely a different matter. also since you are gaming the difference in cost can be migrated over to the gpu; giving you a much better one with an i5 than what you would get with an i7.

if you are doing smaller compositions in photoshop; 8 gig will do but for larger and more layered projects then 16 gigs would be beneficial.
July 29, 2012 9:16:25 PM

geofelt said:

When you say, you are looking for a sweet gpu, and yet have chosen it already, which do you mean?

The PSU you need will be determined by the graphics card you pick.
Newer 28nm based graphics cards are more efficient, and need less powerful power supplies.

I was suggested the evga gtx 560ti, as a friend of mine that builds pcs said that would do everything I wanted. Is that a "28nm based" card?
July 29, 2012 9:26:40 PM

Ok so all in all it seems as though an i5 would be the best choice for me... with 8 or more Ram. I would love to build my own (it would be my 1st) but i will need to do many more hours of research to go about it ;)  Thank you for your responses, I will search in the home-build forums for more info...
!