Computer Shutdown - But CPU is cool

sgtharrison

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Heres my problem I've been having the last few days. Randomly, my computer will shut down because Core Temp says my CPU has reached it's "auto shutdown range for temps." I put the overheat protection on that way if my cpu fan every failed it wouldn't damage my CPU. The weird thing is, the CPU fan is working 100% correctly, as far as i can tell. None of the bearings seem to be out, it turns with complete ease, it runs all the time, it's never not spinning. The cpu itself never reaches above 40Celsius. I even checked my Bios temps for my CPU and MB and they both are below 30 at idle. Why would my computer keep shutting down if it's not even overheating? Any help is greatly welcomed :D

G

so you're saying the overheat protection of core temp is shutting down you rig.
you don't need it so turn it off. trust the hardware, BIOS of the motherboard, and your monitoring habits to protect your cpu.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Absolutely. Open your computer up, and since you said fans are working okay, try jiggling the cpu heatsink, it should be firm and not loose at all. If it is loose, then it needs to be removed, cleaned, heat pasted and reinstalled tightly.

Go into your BIOS, and look at the CPU temp warning temperatures (different depending on your motherboard) then see if it is set too low (<~60 degrees C).

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Even on AMD's ? I remember that the silicon used by AMD starts to have serious problems at a much much lower temperature than Intel's, and 62 degrees C is usually the temperature (Tcase) where computation errors are starting to occur and thus AMD has also said that the internal thermal diode is undercalibrated (or inaccurate), so leave a good safety margin...