Status
Not open for further replies.

mfarlow

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
I was planning on grabbing the Gigabyte 1GB 6950 from Newegg this week,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125385

when I stumbled on this Sapphire 2GB card over at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL-DVI-I-SL-DVI-D-PCI-Express-100312-2SR/dp/B004TA6RY0/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1328748175&sr=1-9

They are both roughly the same price and come with free shipping.

I like the 3 fans on the Gigabyte, and the face that it's factory OC'd, but should I care about the extra ram on the sapphire?
My highest resolution on my monitor is 2048x1536 although I've yet to get a game that high.

Solution

A LINK PERHAPS?I have never heard or read about this.TY

anything over 1920x1080 is worth the extra vram,or especially in eyfinity,

Hard|OCP"
Performance Summary

Performance has turned out not as we expected in many cases here, but that isn’t a bad thing. In fact, considering the 1GB...
I have that exact Sapphire card and it's running so great no problem with it at all, Also the Gigabyte is more cooler and efficient and it got great reviews, Actually there's a phenomenon observed in HD 6950 1 GB VS 2 GB that the 1 GB model is faster by 0.5% cause when the extra ram doesn't help it reduces performance slightly.

I would pick up the gigabyte, and also i would consider 2 of it for Crossfire because of such a high resolution.

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005

A LINK PERHAPS?I have never heard or read about this.TY

anything over 1920x1080 is worth the extra vram,or especially in eyfinity,

Hard|OCP"
Performance Summary

Performance has turned out not as we expected in many cases here, but that isn’t a bad thing. In fact, considering the 1GB Radeon HD 6950 performs the same as the 2GB Radeon HD 6950 at lower resolutions, and is less expensive; that makes it a great alternative. Let’s break it down.

Radeon HD 6950 1GB vs. 2GB

Certainly, the first thing we wanted to know is if the reduction memory capacity with the Radeon HD 6950 GPU would cause a reduction in performance. We found that at lower resolutions like 1920x1200 the answer is no, performance was not impacted much if at all. Since both video cards use the same GPU the end-result was the same. Playing at 4X AA at 1920x1200 yielded no performance differences in any of the games.

It was only at the highest setting of 2560x1600 with 8X MSAA did we start to see differences. The 2GB Radeon HD 6950 clearly allowed 8X MSAA in some games to be playable, and in others allowed us to use Transparency Antialiasing at 2560x1600. The 1GB Radeon HD 6950 struggled with these higher settings. Still, in some cases performance was the same as long as the AA setting was lower at 2560x1600.

Solution
@Earnie
Look at the HD 6950s in 2500x resolution
M2033%202560.png

BF3%202560.png

BAClow%202560.png

Look at the performance summary
Avg.png

From behardware.com
Note that when the additional memory doesn’t make a difference, it reduces performance slightly, a phenomenon already observed with the 1 GB and 2 GB versions of the Radeon HD 6950.
link
http://www.behardware.com/articles/844-1/geforce-gtx-580-3gb-vs-1-5gb-test-sli-and-surround.html

mfarlow

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
Ok, given that the extra 2GB really won't do much for me, and that price is the same, does anyone think that having the extra fans on the Gigabyte model is a benefit?

Oh, and I've also found a Diamond reference 2GB 6950 for the same price, complete with dual bios. Now my choice has just become that much harder.

Reference designed cards run hotter and louder than non ref-designed ones. The Gigabyte model is a monster card for extreme overclocking, and as above there's almost no diff between the 2 models. So i still recommend the Gigabyte.

mfarlow

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
So at this point my choices are between these 3 cards:
Gigabyte 1GB 6950 (no dual bios)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814125385
Sapphire 2GB 6950 (no dual bios)
http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL- [...] 175&sr=1-9
Diamond 2GB 6950 reference card (dual bios)

I've decided the 2GB really doesn't matter for me in terms of performance, since I pretty much game at 1920x1080 anyway.

The only possible benefit I'll realistically get from it might be the ability to unlock the shaders. People with the sapphire card are reporting negative results with unlocking. The Gigabyte card has mixed results, while the diamond card seems to unlock without issues.

Will unlocking make a significantly noticable imapct?

Each of these cards has it's pros and cons
Gigabyte - Great cooling, overclocking,low noise and heat, only 1GB, questionable unlocking
Sapphire - 2GB, low noise and heat, no unlocking
Diamond, - 2GB, unlockable, bad for noise and heat

I'm leaning towards the Gigabyte at this point.

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005

I understand your point,but it appears it depends on who's doing the testing!I would still recommend more Vram,it can never hurt to have it!

All the unlock does is unlock the shaders,then you will still have to overclock the cards,but not all cards will take the higher overclocks.some will go higher,while some will be somwhere in the middle,I have 2-6950's with the dual bios switch and they both unlocked with the flick of a switch,I didnt see the need to overclock them(i did try it however)as the performance was already more than enough..

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005

truthfully...have I actually noticed any difference..No.but i also havent done any benchies to really test it,but i'm sure it does help.I just didnt feel the need to o/c as well.I upgrade my components way to often to really get a good reference.lol.

heres a good article that actually gives the diff with just shaders and with an o/c

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1608/4/

mfarlow

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
Well I wound up pulling the trigger on the 2GB sapphire model. I was torn up until I clicked the checkout button. I really liked both this card and the gigabyte.

Thanks for everyones help.

Status
Not open for further replies.