Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Opinion's on new build... purchasing tonight.

Last response: in Systems
April 16, 2012 8:46:40 PM

So I picked up a couple 7870's at a great price and going to buy the rest tonight. I still have a couple decisions left... (case, cooler and memory) Please give you're thoughts etc... anything i've overlooked, or should watch for etc.

Vid Cards - 2 x 7870 Sapphire OC

Processor - i5 2500k (210.00)

Motherboard - MSI Z77A-G45 (140.00)

Case - Phantom Full Tower - black/green full tower i can get for $85.00 (good deal but big) or
the Phantom 410 white/black 410 for 107.50 (2 usb 3.0 up front which is nice)

Memory - will pick one from the mb manual.. 1.5v 1600...
8gb vs 16 gb ram - would you go up to 16gb? (extra 40-50, is it worth it) and 4 x 4 or 2 x 8?

Cooler - Was looking at an Arctic Air 13 pro ($35). what's the best or a few of the best air coolers between 30 and 50? Plan on a good overclock but don't need to get crazy.

PSU - 850 w (already owned)
HD - 1 TB (already owned) will buy SSD later
Older dvd read/write

Would like to play the best games at the highest res and detail, prepping to .. eventually move to 3 monitor setup.

The motherboard and cases have $20 rebates too so decent deals there.
April 16, 2012 9:24:11 PM

with 16g ram kits at 90 it crazy not to max out your system. if you do by ram buy 4 sticks of ram. with two stick the ram will run in single channel mode. with your first build a larger case is easier for cable management. the down size is you may need longer or a few extend cables in a large cables.
m
l
April 16, 2012 9:38:46 PM

^ I'm not entirely sure the above statement about channels is correct (I'm thinking not - otherwise why would *every* memory manufacturer sell two-stick dual channel kits).

Was an article on Toms or Anand, that I can't locate right now, that showed a miniscule increase with 2 sticks vs 4 sticks at a given memory total. Thought was that there is some overhead reading across two controllers to get to the two sets of sticks.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

April 16, 2012 9:44:40 PM

16GB generally isn't necessary. 2x8 if you are going to go with it, though (always leave room... it'll cut down on heat issues). I'd get the Phantom 410... nice case

Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo... one of the best out there

Make sure your dvd read/write is compatible with your motherboard/case... some of the older ones aren't.

Other than that, everything looks really nice! Great build! I don't know why you got 2x7870s (I stick to single-GPU setups), but it's a great build!

By the way, the case is only $100 on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
April 16, 2012 11:17:01 PM

ddan49 said:
16GB generally isn't necessary. 2x8 if you are going to go with it, though (always leave room... it'll cut down on heat issues). I'd get the Phantom 410... nice case

Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo... one of the best out there

Make sure your dvd read/write is compatible with your motherboard/case... some of the older ones aren't.

Other than that, everything looks really nice! Great build! I don't know why you got 2x7870s (I stick to single-GPU setups), but it's a great build!

By the way, the case is only $100 on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I do like the 410.. i'm in Canada and the cheapest i found was 110 but 90 after rebate. That big guy is calling my name though.. 65 after rebate, though some rebates seem like $20 worth of work. I like my deals! Which is why I ended up with 2 7870's. I got them for 269 each. One is in my old build (q6600) and the other still in the box.. i may still end up selling the 2nd, but it's a battle with my inner nerd who's got all excited thinking about eyefinity at high to max settings.

Thanks for the tip on the Hyper 212.. looks just like my sunbeam core-contact minus the stupid wire fan clips. (very much hate those things) but the evo looks perfect.

also downloaded the motherboard's manual and it does have dual channel with 2 sticks, just gotta stick em in the right place. (always good advice)

so decided to go big black/green phantom (may change mind driving to store), hyper 212 and will go with 2 sticks of ram.. probably 2 x 4 after reading up a little more.

thanks for the comments everyone
m
l
April 16, 2012 11:19:48 PM

Best answer selected by PickledGopher.
m
l
April 16, 2012 11:20:01 PM

2 sticks is always going to be dual channel.
m
l
April 16, 2012 11:22:07 PM

It won't make a huge difference either way. I was suspecting you were in Canada... also, that is a GREAT deal on some 7870s... really, really good. Better if they were MSI Twin Frozr II OCs, but still good :) 
m
l
!