Sign in with
Your question

Building new computer, good to go?

Last response: in Systems
April 16, 2012 9:08:42 PM

So, i have decided to build a new computer after running this rig since 2009, and seeing in slowly getting slower and slower. I have searched parts for about a month now, and i feel i have made all the right choices :bounce:  Ordering it as soon as someone tell me if/what i should change something :) 

CPU: Intel 2500k

CPU-COOLER: Coolermaster 212 evo with 2x Gentle typhoon ap-15

MOBO: Asus P8Z68-V PRO GEN3

MEMORY: 16gb Corsair Vengance

Case: Cooler master 690 II Advanced with 2x 140mm fans in top, 120mm back, 2x 120mm bottom, 1x 120mm front, and one 120mm custom fitted behind the drivebay covers for direct cpu-cooler intake. I own this already

GPU: Nvidia 680 (Or should i wait till May and order 670 ti?)

Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X

Powersupply: Corsair AX850

HDD: Seagate barracuda 1tb. I own this already

SSD: OCZ Agile 3 series 120gb

Fan controller: Kaze master pro

All the fans are Gentle Typhoon (I LOVE these fans :love:  ) except 140mm.

I will be using this computer to mainly play high demanding games, and i am a guy who really needs to have everything on ultra. If i know a game can look nicer than it does, i can't play it like that. Same with audio, i need to have it the best quality possible.

So, is this rig able to shred the latest game into pieces, and leave me breathless? :)  I can spit in some money and go for the LGA2011, but i believe 2500k is enough, especially if i OC it to 4,5 Ghz.

Thanks! Advices and tips are always good to recieve! :hello: 

More about : building computer good

April 16, 2012 10:15:57 PM

Try switching the mobo to the ASRock Extreme3 Gen3. 16GB is excessive for RAM... 8GB is generally enough for anyone. However if you're editing a lot of video or using Photoshop (I don't think audio editors use as much RAM), you may want to stick to 16GB. Also, what speed is it? Make sure it's CAS9, 1.5v, and DDR3-1600 (higher or lower just isn't worth it). Everything looks good, though! I think you'll be able to shred any game out there at 1080p! Maybe 8xAA might bring the fps down a little, but it should be good!
April 16, 2012 11:00:19 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I will use this system to do some photoshop aswell. Not any heavy projects, just to edit some photos :)  I got a really good offer on the 16gb, so i get them as expensive as 8gb! The Vengance is CAS9, 1.5v and DDR3-1600, so they are perfect for any high end computer. And with the heatspreaders they can be overclocked pretty hefty too.

What i am wondering about is the GPU, CPU-cooler and CPU (2500k or 2600k?) Anyone got some opinions on this?
Related resources
April 16, 2012 11:08:26 PM

ddan49 said:
Make sure it's CAS9, 1.5v, and DDR3-1600 (higher or lower just isn't worth it).

Whats the non-benchmark difference between DDR3-1600 and 1333 ?
April 16, 2012 11:19:09 PM

^Faster load times for not that much extra. It's also the sweet spot for i5-2500k.

Endresen, if you got a good deal on those, get them! They are great! About the GPU, CPU, and CPU cooler... all three are good. Great, in fact. If you wanted to wait for another GPU, I guess you could... but the GTX 680 is the best there is now, and it will keep being really really good for the next year to year and a half. It'll be able to play games on high for about two years, I would think (maybe three). Total life (until it can only get by on 30fps at lowest settings) would be like 8 years... probably more (for the latest games. You'll always be able to max out BF3). CPU cooler is great, as well.
April 17, 2012 12:24:30 PM

Thanks! I will order this system tonight :)  Looking forward to assembling the machine!
April 17, 2012 12:29:34 PM

Good luck!
!