Sign in with
Your question

Too much thermalpaste

Last response: in Components
July 29, 2012 8:44:30 PM

Hello all,

I recently added water cooling to my first computer build. It appears that I used the thermal paste like it was mustard on a hot dog. I noticed now that my water cooling is doing no good. I have temps as high as 100c.

My questions are;
Can too much paste cause high temps?
How can I safely remove this paste from the mobo and CPU socket mount?

More about : thermalpaste

July 29, 2012 8:52:16 PM

Yes too much paste acts like a thermal insulator than a conductor, you can buy some cleaning alcohol, then take the CPU water block off the CPU and take the CPU out of the socket (if its an intel core series e.g. i3,i5,i7 then it has no pins, if it amd then it has pins and you need to be careful).
Use the cleaning alchohol to clean off the thermal paste completely and reapply by putting pea size amount of TP in the middle of the CPU and put the water block back on.
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/134
July 29, 2012 8:53:32 PM

yes too much paste will cause high temps

edit--need to learn to type faster

high temps may also be because the cpu block wasnt fitted correctly

whats the cooler?

Related resources
July 29, 2012 9:03:47 PM

What does the speed of typing have to do with anything?
July 29, 2012 9:10:59 PM

ap2704 said:
What does the speed of typing have to do with anything?

I think it might of been a joke...
Or not.
July 29, 2012 9:15:25 PM

just meant by the time i typed-- yes too much paste will cause high temps

jay_nar2012 had managed to type about 6 times as much and beat me to the answer

so i need to learn to type with more than 2 fingers one one hand :D 
July 29, 2012 9:26:40 PM

Funny. I thought somehow you could tell that I am a very slow typer too. I sat looking at the post trying to figure out how you could see the wpm.
July 29, 2012 9:29:30 PM

wpm

words per minute

getting a bit off topic from the original problem now
July 29, 2012 9:31:49 PM

Yea, anyway, OP, How much exactly did you put on the CPU?
July 30, 2012 3:24:27 PM

If you copy the paste and then then paste like so... pastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepaste you get a lot of paste.
July 30, 2012 3:31:21 PM

Enough that it pushed out from underneath the CPU. Some also got on the mobo. Not sure how to remove the paste from the mobo
July 30, 2012 3:34:00 PM

hmmm when you replace the paste on the cpu imagine a size between a pea and a grain of rice... that's how much you need. The mobo I have no ideas, try googling thermal paste on mobo.
July 30, 2012 3:34:45 PM

Get a cotton bud, dip it in cleaning alcohol (not the drinking kind), turn off the computer and disconnect from the mains and hold down the power button for a few secs just to be safe, then clean off the paste with the cotton bud.
July 30, 2012 4:13:24 PM

thanks Ill try tomorrow.
July 30, 2012 4:15:27 PM

Did you get it in the socket?
July 30, 2012 4:17:55 PM

I see no reason why excess paste should inhibit thermal conductivity since it is all squeezed out when pressure is applied by the HS. Having said that I do not recommend doing so since excess paste can flow to places where it can do damage if enough is used. I am not an advocate of the "pea" method described above since it yields a circular paste pattern on a square heat spreader leaving the corners conducting less than optimally. I always spread a thin even layer using something like the edge of a credit card. This technique is older than many of the posters on this board and I have never heard of a problem attributed to it's proper use. Alcohol is good for cleanup but try to get 90% for less water content.
July 30, 2012 4:18:09 PM

joerowland said:
If you copy the paste and then then paste like so... pastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepastepaste you get a lot of paste.

LOL the paste bit of that goes across the screen....
:lol: 
July 30, 2012 4:19:01 PM

ram1009 said:
I see no reason why excess paste should inhibit thermal conductivity since it is all squeezed out when pressure is applied by the HS. Having said that I do not recommend doing so since excess paste can flow to places where it can do damage if enough is used. I am not an advocate of the "pea" method described above since it yields a circular paste pattern on a square heat spreader leaving the corners conducting less than optimally. I always spread a thin even layer using something like the edge of a credit card. This technique is older than many of the posters on this board and I have never heard of a problem attributed to it's proper use. Alcohol is good for cleanup but try to get 90% for less water content.

You do know that most of the heat is generated around the centre, thats why so many people recommend that method.
July 30, 2012 4:27:34 PM

Well here's the whole story;

I was running a thermaltake fan on my XFX mobo with a q6700 CPU. My idle temps are around 40c. My flight sim became unstable around 30 min into the flight. I replaced the fan with corsair H60. When I popped the fan off to install the H60 I saw the messy job I did tith the paste. I used silver something TP cleaner and installed the H60. I still idle at 40c and get temps at 100c at 100% CPU usage. I am wondering if I have paste somewhere it shouldn't be causing the temps. I believe the temps return back to 40c at idle again. Im confused
July 30, 2012 4:29:47 PM

When you have done the process of cleaning the paste of the board and put on the thermal paste, tell us if your temps have improved or they are the same.
July 30, 2012 5:30:57 PM

Is that cpu an intel it sounds like one... if so make sure the pins on the cooler are firmly in place or you will get trapped air between the cpu and heatsink/fan which will cause tremendous heat pockets.
July 30, 2012 6:25:55 PM

If you need anymore help, read the guide in my sig.
!