New Motion Graphics Workstation Build

metro_digital

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Hey everyone,

I'm putting together a new workstation for 3D & motion graphics work, and want to run the list of components past you to see if everything will be fine, as well as to hear some of your suggestions.
This new workstation will be running Adobe Production Premium CS5.5 as well as 3D Studio Max 2013 and Vray. It won’t be used for any gaming.
It will be replacing my current dual Xeon LGA771 E5420 system, which has given me a bit of trouble as of late.

I will be re-using the dual Xeon as a render node along with another i7 2600K rig as my small render farm.

Here’s what I have in mind:

Case: Antec P280
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 WS
CPU: Intel 3930K LGA2011 Processor
CPU Cooler: Thermalright HR-02 Macho
CPU Cooler Adaptor: Thermalright LGA2011 Retention Kit
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
GPU: re-using my trusty XFX GeForce 8800GT Alpha Dog 512MB 256bit
SSD for OS & Apps: OCZ Vertex 3 128GB SSD (already purchased)
HDD for work: 2TB WD Caviar Black (I recently had one die on me. Should I reconsider this?)
Backup HDD: 2TB WD Caviar Green
Scratch HDD: 300GB WD Velociraptor (re-using from current workstation)

Any opinions, ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Also I’d love some tips on how to stress test or “break in” the new workstation, so that I know that it’s running rock solid. I also heard that theres a preferred way to install windows so that you don’t get weird errors and crashes happening. Is this true? If so please let me know.

Finally, I’m also interested in possibly overclocking the cpu slightly, for that little extra kick in performance. I have never overclocked anything, and don’t have a clue about it. Any help in that department would also be very appreciated. I’m not looking for the highest overclock possible, but rather a noticeable speed boost, but ultimately a really stable system.

Thanks guys, I look forward to your comments.

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I am looking at a similar workstation build - same case, psu, processor and motherboard. I really like the P280, but one thing that I cannot find confirmation of is if that motherboard fits in that case.

According to the specs on NewEgg:

"The P280 accommodates motherboards up to XL-ATX (10.3" x 13.6")"

But...the P9X79 WS mobo is listed as 12" x 10.5"; does that 2/10ths of an inch make a difference? Are the motherboard stand-off holes in that board in the same exact positions as in a normal ATX board even though it is a little wider? If you find any info on this, or actually tested it, please let me know.