Ad hoc with 802.11g?

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 21, 2005 6:44:52 PM

I've been unsuccessful in getting the WT-2 wireless with my D2X to talk to
my Sony Vaio laptop with a Netgear 802.11g adapter. (I can establish a
connection with the internal .11b though) Someone told me that 802.11g does
not support ad hoc, and that I could only use it going through a router.
That seems to be *incredibly* limiting. Does this make sense? Anyone else
successful in getting a WT-2 to connect to a PC with 802.11g?

Thanx,
Wm

(Replies CC'd to lashooter at hotmail appreciated)

More about : hoc 802 11g

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 8:55:29 PM

On Tuesday 21 June 2005 07:44, LAshooter wrote:

> I've been unsuccessful in getting the WT-2 wireless with my D2X to
> talk to my Sony Vaio laptop with a Netgear 802.11g adapter. (I can
> establish a
> connection with the internal .11b though) Someone told me that
> 802.11g does not support ad hoc, and that I could only use it going
> through a router. That seems to be *incredibly* limiting. Does this
> make sense? Anyone else successful in getting a WT-2 to connect to a
> PC with 802.11g?

Have you RTFM for your wireless card? It should tell you what it
supports. If not, then Netgear should certainly know. Maybe, you've
got the "g" card configured incorrectly, if the "b" works. Maybe, the
D2X doesn't support "g." Have you read its manual to check?

As for me, I prefer a USB card reader instead of all the problems
associated with setting up and connecting -- wired or wirelessly --
directly to a camera.

--
Stefan Patric
NoLife Polymath Group

You try RTFM yourself before posting.
Read that : http://labs.pcw.co.uk/2005/03/adhoc_wireless_.html

11g supports ad-hoc mode but the speed is limited to 11mbps.
+ WT-2 is a wireless remote control , try using USB cable when you try
taking photo from an odd place
[ ie the roof of Ajax Amsterdam soccer stadium ]

=bob=

!