Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Advice for new 3D setup

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 9, 2012 1:31:13 AM

So I just recently bought a new LG Cinema 23in passive 3D monitor and I'm loving it. Men of war assault squad, Dragon Age, Total war, Fallout and more all in 3D is amazing. Some are much better than others but still its great. So two part question first off I'm using an ATI 4890 gpu slightly overclocked and before 3D everything was maxed out and I never had a problem but now my poor little graphics card is being pushed to the max on some of the games especially Shogun 2 Total War. I was expecting that....I suppose. Looking for your alls opinion on how I should go about upgrading whether I should look for another 4890 to crossfire? And if I do crossfire should I only get a 4890 or should I get something more powerful? and if I do get something more powerful since its crossfire would it only work at the speed of the 4890? I can find a new 4890 for under a $100 and a used one for under $60 but if you have any great experiences with somethin in particular let me know, I'm not looking to spend a ton but I want to find something decent.
Now the second part of the question, I'm using an Asus p6t MB which has 2 pci 2.0 x16 but they are both covered up by the 1 4890 cooling system. If I added any second card on there I would have to put it in the pci 2.0x4 slot. How big of a loss will I take from putting it in that slot?
My Current Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
System Specs
i7-920 @ 4.2ghz
Asus P6T Motherboard
Visiontek ATI Radeon 4890 GPU Core @ 900mhz Memory @ 1000mhz 1GB
120GB Sandisk SSD
2x500GB Western Digital HDD Raid 0
800w Coolermaster PSU
12GB Corsair Dominator 1600mhz
240mm Asetek Liquid Cooling

More about : advice setup

February 9, 2012 6:49:33 AM

IMO another 4890 will do the trick at a very low cost.
Assuming this is your Mobo

I see only one PCIe x4 Slot being covered by the first GPU since it's a double slot one and the second one will very nicely fit into the second Blue PCIe x 16 slot.
Though this will cause the first GPU to be starved of air.... so you might need to use a raiser to accommodate the second card and a extended CF Bridge.
Depending on your case you can choose where you would like to place the Second GPU using the PCIe Riser (Flexible)
http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=8
http://www.ameri-rack.com/PCI-EXPRESS.htm
http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/mattlau/product-d...
Score
February 9, 2012 11:12:18 AM

Thats my MB allright. It really does look possible like that but in acctuallity the 4890 goes all the way down to about the middle of the 2nd pci x16 slot. Though I had never heard of a PCI riser, I had actually been wondering about something like that but never seen it. I would have enough room in between the fan of the one GPU and the MB to plug in one of those. After I hook it to the flexible slot then what do I do with it? I wouldnt want to to just hang there but any ideas of where else to mount it at?? Also I have about 300 cfm of air flow (6) fans that are pointed towards the graphics card and even under full load with OC it never breaks 55c. So if there was a way to get it in how bad do you think the heat prob would be? Thank you for the help so far!
Score
Related resources
February 9, 2012 11:19:49 AM

Ina CF arrangement... that 55C is going to be the lowest running temp for the Top Card..... so you'll certainly need a lot more cooling or atleast non obstructed air flow.
After you hook it to the second PCIe slot, you can mount your 2nd gpu Either vertically, if you have the HAF 922 like I do, since they have one slot vertically oriented just for this kind of config...

Or you have one of those cases with 9 PCI expansion slots at the back and use the last few slots where the Mobo doesn't bother you to mount that card...
The risers, I posted the links to you in the first reply.... right?
Score
February 9, 2012 12:57:09 PM

I have a Thermaltake Spedo full tower case with 7xPCI expansion slots but none are vertical and only one is out of the reach of the MB but it would be obscured by the PSU. It may be possible to mount it vertically if I built somethin on my own and cut it in to the ventilation holes on the back of the case but I'm not sure. Now if I got a 2nd GPU and it was a 4890 but lets say I got a sapphire instead of a visiontek there is a good chance it could be much shallower in depth but It would still work just fine together right?
Score
February 9, 2012 12:59:57 PM

Yah, for that generation yes, they'll work right. Make sure that the base specs are the same....
Score
February 9, 2012 1:05:28 PM

It will fit in straight into your case

The 7th Expansion slot is where it'll fit in, without being bothered by the FP Audio Connector at the back where the Mobo will end.And it will have about an inch of space to suck air in between the PSU and the GPU Fan...
Check it out....
Score
February 9, 2012 1:07:33 PM

The Mobo has only 6 PCI expansion Slots all of them are single spaced........ start counting from the top down to the base of the case....
Your case has 8 PCI expansion slots at the back...... you seem to be in luck... :) 
Score
February 9, 2012 1:29:23 PM

You are a master of your craft my friend. Now lets say I take the PCI riser and run it from the 2nd pci x16 slot down to the area of expansion slot 7 of the case. The way my motherboard sits is Case PCI expansion slot 2 lines up with MB PCI slot 1, 3 with 2, and so on. So where my graphics cards sits is acctually occupying case expansion slot 2,3, and part of 4. Now I definitely believe I would be able to mount the GPU in slot 7, but would I have to change things around since there is the female end of the the PCI strip on the motherboard of PCI slot 6 pointing out towards where the graphics card would be?
Score

Best solution

February 9, 2012 1:39:46 PM

Nope. you'll not need to change anything, actually if you look at the Risers they will all have a short PCB extension at the backside too, but it'll be short and without contacts, that is so that you can push it into a slot if it is at the backside and give it additional support. Some of them are like that and some of them are absolutely flat.... You could use the flat ones and get it flush against those FP Audio Header and USB2 Header..... without a problem.
February 9, 2012 2:05:18 PM

There is a possible kink in the plan. What software do you use to achieve your 3D effect on the passive 3D system you have?

The reason I ask is that with Tridef and the active sytems, AMD does not support crossfire, or JUST put in support this last set of drivers. This might make crossfire support for 3D sketchy. However, the active system doesn't work on the 4000 series of cards and older, so your system might not apply.

When you try it out, make sure to run tests to be sure it's working in crossfire, you might find it does nothing for you.
Score
February 9, 2012 2:16:29 PM

bystander said:
There is a possible kink in the plan. What software do you use to achieve your 3D effect on the passive 3D system you have?

The reason I ask is that with Tridef and the active sytems, AMD does not support crossfire, or JUST put in support this last set of drivers. This might make crossfire support for 3D sketchy. However, the active system doesn't work on the 4000 series of cards and older, so your system might not apply.

When you try it out, make sure to run tests to be sure it's working in crossfire, you might find it does nothing for you.

Yes when using the active 3D setup with HD3D and most of the graphics cards they do not support crossfire yet. But with the passive setup the software just uses the graphics cards very similarly to how a game would its just putting up different types of light on the screen so that your eyes each see half the screen. It works differently and is able to be used with much older graphics cards though it still takes alot of processing power to get it to run smooth.
Score
February 9, 2012 2:21:38 PM

alyoshka said:
Nope. you'll not need to change anything, actually if you look at the Risers they will all have a short PCB extension at the backside too, but it'll be short and without contacts, that is so that you can push it into a slot if it is at the backside and give it additional support. Some of them are like that and some of them are absolutely flat.... You could use the flat ones and get it flush against those FP Audio Header and USB2 Header..... without a problem.

So basically your saying that I can take one of those risers attach the graphics card to it and then attach the riser to the other PCI slot located down at MB Slot 6 and have the graphics card mount out Case slot 7. That would be absolutley perfect! I was looking through the links you gave me and Im not exactly sure which one would be the best for that idea, if you wouldnt mind taking a look at it. That is exactly the idea I was looking for you really are a master of your craft I dont know how to thank you enough!!!!!
Score
February 9, 2012 2:22:05 PM

Best answer selected by kilcondlost.
Score
February 9, 2012 3:28:44 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!