Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First Build, Help Plz! haha

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 16, 2012 11:39:00 PM

Hello,
Hello,
i am going to build a new computer, the one i bought that was pre built on Newegg just isnt cutting it anymore, things are getting heat damaged, ect ect... plus i heard you can get exactly what you want for less than a pre built of that caliber so here i go:
AMD 7870 2GB GHz Edition (hopefully Xfire soon)
ASUS Crosshair V formula 990FX MOBO
AMD BullDozer 8150FX 8-core CPU
Gskill Ripjaws X-series 1600Mhz DDR5 RAM (4x4)
Corsair Force Series GT 120GB Solid State Drive
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX950 80Plus 950W PSU
Corsair Carbide Series 500R Mid Tower case
Corsair Hydro Series H80 HP liquid CPU cooler
I'd appreciate input on what may or may not work good or at all with eachother. or if the case is bad for this setup ect, this my first build and i wanna do it right the first time haha, then comes the installation but anyways, Thanks in Advance (1800-2000USD budget)

More about : build plz haha

April 16, 2012 11:48:13 PM

If this is a gaming rig, i'm going to strongly recommend you do an intel build with i5-2500k or i5-3570k in a few weeks when they are released. There is a lot of evidence that shows intel cpus outperform AMD chips in gaming. Also, i see you are using 16GB of RAM, which would not be needed in a gaming rig either. 8GB is more than sufficient for gaming. Closed loop Watercooling, such as the H80 are not the best cooling solutions. I would honestly stick with a hyper 212 EVO unless you want to go with custom water cooling solution.

The case looks pretty good to me, but you might consider a HAF 922 as a cheaper alternative.
m
0
l
April 16, 2012 11:49:06 PM

Please use the sticky on top of this subforum. Also, I'd really recommend against using AMD. What's your budget? Many things here are wrong, but I'd need to see more info before I started suggesting stuff.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 16, 2012 11:50:41 PM

kelthic said:
If this is a gaming rig, i'm going to strongly recommend you do an intel build with i5-2500k or i5-3570k in a few weeks when they are released. There is a lot of evidence that shows intel cpus outperform AMD chips in gaming. Also, i see you are using 16GB of RAM, which would not be needed in a gaming rig either. 8GB is more than sufficient for gaming. Closed loop Watercooling, such as the H80 are not the best cooling solutions. I would honestly stick with a hyper 212 EVO unless you want to go with custom water cooling solution.

The case looks pretty good to me, but you might consider a HAF 922 as a cheaper alternative.


That's all true. Also, your PSU is WAY too much... look into a PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK II 750W silver rated at $110. Also, I'd get an MSI Twin Frozr II OC 7870... better performance.
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 12:00:14 AM

Quote:
That's all true. Also, your PSU is WAY too much... look into a PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK II 750W silver rated at $110. Also, I'd get an MSI Twin Frozr II OC 7870... better performance.


I agree with that also. I was also wondering what resolution you are planning on using. Eyefinity?
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 12:00:44 AM

If you are comfortable overclocking, you could get the FX-8120 instead and overclock it to 8150 level.
Like others have stated, 8Gb RAM would be plenty.

But also like ddan asked, please use the sticky and state your budget.
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 12:02:03 AM

i dont have a budget so to speak, i need a goal to start saving to but i dont want to go over 1800 USD 2000 at most. And i understand that Intel is a very good brand for performance, but i looked at a study that shows the i7 2600K was just a tad faster than the bulldozer 8150, however the prices range very much 750$ much haha, and the mobo can support up to 32 GB of RAM however i do use game modding programs such as Creation Kit quite often and would feel safer knowing i have more if i need it, Thanks for the replys so quickly, keep em coming im learning the entire time haha thanks
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 12:03:23 AM

how do i use a "sticky" to post buget?
m
0
l
Anonymous
April 17, 2012 12:03:55 AM

go for the 8120FX a few bucks cheaper close to the same performance.

unless your going to go 3 way on you grfx you can get by with a 750 watts psu.
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 12:05:09 AM

^That study is not at ALL true. Not even close! For gaming, the i3 pretty much beats the Bulldozer! Also... if your budget is $1800, EVERYTHING is going to change. Lemme start...

CPU: i5-2500k (or IB equivalent... i5-3570k)
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GPU: GTX 680
PSU: SIlencer MkII 750W Silver Rated
Case: Corsair 400R
CPU cooler: Hyper 212 Evo
RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 1.5v CAS9 RAM (try G.Skill)

I think that's all.... all of those are quality parts, and still come out to less than $1800... so you can upgrade your motherboard to an ASUS Z77 (ASUS is better... maybe try Gigabyte?), get two GTX 680s running in SLI (although that might be TOO much), get a nice monitor... whatever.
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 12:06:45 AM

kelthic said:
Quote:
That's all true. Also, your PSU is WAY too much... look into a PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK II 750W silver rated at $110. Also, I'd get an MSI Twin Frozr II OC 7870... better performance.


I agree with that also. I was also wondering what resolution you are planning on using. Eyefinity?


I plan on playing skyrim at 1080P on my HD LCD TV with hopefully maxed settings and 60FPS to boot, plus BF3 ect, its basically going to be used for Games and school, and my job in the future perhaps
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 12:12:31 AM

ddan49 said:
^That study is not at ALL true. Not even close! For gaming, the i3 pretty much beats the Bulldozer! Also... if your budget is $1800, EVERYTHING is going to change. Lemme start...

CPU: i5-2500k (or IB equivalent... i5-3570k)
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GPU: GTX 680
PSU: SIlencer MkII 750W Silver Rated
Case: Corsair 400R
CPU cooler: Hyper 212 Evo
RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 1.5v CAS9 RAM (try G.Skill)

I think that's all.... all of those are quality parts, and still come out to less than $1800... so you can upgrade your motherboard to an ASUS Z77 (ASUS is better... maybe try Gigabyte?), get two GTX 680s running in SLI (although that might be TOO much), get a nice monitor... whatever.


Haha i can see that this rig would be amazing, ill give it some thought , however i do understand your an Intel guy and i am an AMD guy, but ive learned to stake experience in front of safety in some cases, i noticed that some of the higher end Nvidia GTX GPUs have less GB on VRAM that AMD like the 580 has 2GB and 1.25 or something liek that, is there a difference?
m
0
l
Anonymous
April 17, 2012 12:21:35 AM

LawL_Vengeance said:
i noticed that some of the higher end Nvidia GTX GPUs have less GB on VRAM that AMD like the 580 has 2GB and 1.25 or something liek that, is there a difference?


if i understand your question correctly, there is a minor difference with a single monitor:
Palit JetStream GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card Review


EDIT: sorry i thought you meant the 680 . .
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 12:29:37 AM

I honestly think you should wait for IB and see whether the reviews and benches on the 3570k are better than the i5-2500k.

The rest:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $174 (DDan's board is also very good, i just didn't want to repeat his)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 16GB RAM Kit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... HAF 922
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 750W PSU that Ddan suggested
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Vertex 4 SSD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Caviar Black 1TB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Hyper 212 EVO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Windows 7
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... DVD/CD Burner

Not currently in stock:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... GTX 680 Twin Frozr (Have to wait for these to come back in stock) $539.99

Supposed to be released next monday:
i5-3570k (not released yet) Rumored Price of $225 at launch

Total = $1591.91
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 12:37:03 AM

LawL_Vengeance said:
Haha i can see that this rig would be amazing, ill give it some thought , however i do understand your an Intel guy and i am an AMD guy, but ive learned to stake experience in front of safety in some cases, i noticed that some of the higher end Nvidia GTX GPUs have less GB on VRAM that AMD like the 580 has 2GB and 1.25 or something liek that, is there a difference?


No, no, no... it's not that I'm an "Intel" guy... it's just that if you look at the benchmarks (look at tomshardware's best gaming CPUs for the money - April edition!), Intel wins every time. The only time when you would use AMD is when you're on a tight budget, and you can afford a great CPU... AMD is just worse than Intel. I'm all for AMD GPUs (7870 :love:  ), but their CPUs are very lacking.

Also, in reply to kelthic, IB seems to be also running VERY VERY HOT! It's preference, though. I'd wait until it's released for more info. Also.. I completely forgot to include an SSD. A crucial M4 64GB SSD if worst comes to worst, but kelthic's SSD is really nice for your purposes. Kelthic included links and stuff, and his build looks pretty good, so if you want to mix and match (however you want to arrange it)...
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 12:37:17 AM

LawL_Vengeance said:
Haha i can see that this rig would be amazing, ill give it some thought , however i do understand your an Intel guy and i am an AMD guy, but ive learned to stake experience in front of safety in some cases, i noticed that some of the higher end Nvidia GTX GPUs have less GB on VRAM that AMD like the 580 has 2GB and 1.25 or something liek that, is there a difference?


I honestly understand the whole AMD vs Intel thing. Ultimately, only you can make the decision that you feel is right, but i do urge you to look into it more. Besides, with the build i suggested, you get the Either the current sweet spot for gaming or the cpu that replaces it AND the best performing single GPU solution on the market for much less than your budget.

more VRAM is more useful for high resolutions and eyefinity setups. No games that i am aware of need more than the 2GB of VRAM on the 680 at a 1080p resolution.
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 12:40:26 AM

ddan49 said:
Also, in reply to kelthic, IB seems to be also running VERY VERY HOT! It's preference, though...


yeah, i read that. my intention was that when it was released he could choose between 3570k and 2500k based on the reviews. Especially since the 2500k is only $6 less right now than the rumored price of the 3570k. I still find it hard to believe that Intel would replace a cpu with a worse performing cpu and charge more for it. But maybe that's because i'm naive lol.
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 12:56:43 AM

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. I also find that hard to believe, but it's not like there's much competition hahaha >.> AMD...
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 1:12:04 AM

Could you run an Intel CPU with an AMD Graphics card and run it well? They seem to be competitors so it doesnt make sense, but im just asking, and thanks for the replys so far the info is good to know. P.s. sorry for the assumption ddan49
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 1:12:59 AM

CPUs and GPUs are not dependant on one another. Intel cpus and AMD GPUs run just as well as AMD/AMD and/or Intel/Nvidia combinations.
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 1:15:47 AM

kelthic said:
Since OP mentioned the creation kit, i assume he's on skyrim and http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970_CPU_Scal... might be relavent to show the differences between Bulldozer and Sandy Bridge. This was using the 8150 for bulldozer.


wowee its really that bad off? ok if my above question turns out to be yes than whats the best processor without going over bugdet to play skyrim? (if its intel i have a pretty good idea already)
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 1:17:11 AM

okay, thats great to know, so ill look into the previous questions, hopefully you can give me an idea too haha
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 1:21:09 AM

LawL_Vengeance said:
wowee its really that bad off? ok if my above question turns out to be yes than whats the best processor without going over bugdet to play skyrim? (if its intel i have a pretty good idea already)



I'm currently playing skyrim on an OC i7-960 and a GTX 570 and Nvidia has this beautiful thing called "Ambient Occlussion" that makes the game just... just fantastic. Look at the screens in http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guides/five-fast-elder-... to see for yourself. This was a couple driver additions ago. For skyrim definitely go with the i5-2500k and a GTX 680 if you can. If you still have reservations, go i5-2500k and a 7970.

EDIT: forgot to mention you should pay particular attention around the corners and maximize the screens so you can use the sliders.
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 1:23:20 AM

^What he said, except go i5-2500k and 7870 (or 7850)
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 11:08:40 AM

actually i have another great OCing proccessor in mind, what about the AMD Phenom II X4 980 3.7GHz (Stock Clock!!) for $150 on newegg but its 45nm compared to 28nm on some boards, whats the difference and is it better or not? Thanks in advance, off to school lol
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 11:12:56 AM

NO! AMD is a LOT worse than Intel... especially for gaming. Trust me... it's better to go with a non-overclockable Intel than to overclock an AMD 50% (which is almost impossible).
m
0
l
April 18, 2012 10:56:18 AM

ddan49 said:
NO! AMD is a LOT worse than Intel... especially for gaming. Trust me... it's better to go with a non-overclockable Intel than to overclock an AMD 50% (which is almost impossible).


lol ive seen this thing on youtube play BF3 with HD 6670 play at mid-high settings on 1280x720P withou any flaws that i could see, smooth as butter, if provide proof that i can get as good a clocked and operating processor as this for less $ than by all means i need to save money hahaha, but i like this because this one isnt even overclocked, its stock clock is at 3.7 lol that great for a 4-core
m
0
l
April 18, 2012 11:00:09 AM

ddan49 said:
NO! AMD is a LOT worse than Intel... especially for gaming. Trust me... it's better to go with a non-overclockable Intel than to overclock an AMD 50% (which is almost impossible).


and dont get me wrong i appreciate this very much and its not that i dont trust you, but you have to understand that 1800$ i alot of money...more importantly its gonna be money that im gonna save so i want to spend it wisely, Intel is good but its the expresso of coffe, expensive, not much more than a good boost of energy and expensive...did i say expensive? lol but im looking to see if Intel has a good i7 thats runs games great for not 999$ lol
m
0
l
April 18, 2012 7:23:55 PM

LawL_Vengeance said:
and dont get me wrong i appreciate this very much and its not that i dont trust you, but you have to understand that 1800$ i alot of money...more importantly its gonna be money that im gonna save so i want to spend it wisely, Intel is good but its the expresso of coffe, expensive, not much more than a good boost of energy and expensive...did i say expensive? lol but im looking to see if Intel has a good i7 thats runs games great for not 999$ lol


do yu have $1000 to spend? that would put you with a real nice i5-2500k build. Let me know and i'll link you some parts. For gaming, there's no real reason to spring for the i7's because most games really do not take advantage of the hyperthreading.

EDIT: sorry, i was helping 2 diff people yesterday and it seems i got them mixed up with this reply. I've already linked you a very solid i5 build that will outperform any AMD build you can come up with.
m
0
l
April 18, 2012 7:56:37 PM

LawL_Vengeance said:
and dont get me wrong i appreciate this very much and its not that i dont trust you, but you have to understand that 1800$ i alot of money...more importantly its gonna be money that im gonna save so i want to spend it wisely, Intel is good but its the expresso of coffe, expensive, not much more than a good boost of energy and expensive...did i say expensive? lol but im looking to see if Intel has a good i7 thats runs games great for not 999$ lol


I don't think you understand. Intel costs more because it's got a LARGE performance increase. At your budget, having an AMD build would be like having a turtle with racing shoes... it would be faster than a regular turtle, but it would be slower than a hare without racing shoes (I know... weird analogy). i7 is pointless... the performance difference is way too small to justify the price. The i5-2500k, however, is great, and worth the price.

AMD may seem to have better clock speeds sometimes (the 3.4GHz $120 processors), but that's not the whole picture. Clock speeds aren't the most important. If you want to see proof, just look up "AMD vs Intel gaming benchmarks", and you'll see.

An i5-2500k is only $200... and is great for gaming.
m
0
l
April 20, 2012 10:55:51 AM

alright you've convinced me on the behalf of the CPU, however im kinda stuck on the 7970 due to the fact that when the time comes, it has 384-bit DDr5, which allows it to be faster when needed and met with certain upgrades but the difference in the texture connection node things(LOL forgot the name) between the 7870 and the 7970 are almost (the last time i looked) 500+ difference, and the clocks are much higher, id spen the extra to get something i really want
m
0
l
April 20, 2012 10:57:16 AM

Whats the best compatable Motherboard for the i5 2500K and AMD graphics combo however? This would be imperitive to know, would save me time if you already know, if you dont ill get searching :D 
m
0
l
April 20, 2012 10:58:57 AM

oh and am i going to have to OC it because i have done this with my 1055T and yea...well i think i heat damged it...wopuld like to stray away from that unless theres a safe setting someone alerady found lol, know what i mean

actually, i may want to OC it to 4.0GHz or somewhere along the lines of that, i just dont want to burn it out, If you guys know any sites that may have preset (more or less) configurations then plz let me know. I already know quite a bit about OCing , or enough to do it myself i just dont want to burn it out and set it on fire kinda like my last one LOL
m
0
l
April 20, 2012 12:17:48 PM

The 7970 does have better performance, and it's also gotten a price drop recently. I really think the 7970 might be best. Just keep in mind it uses a BUNCH of wattage (like... 225W I think, or possibly more).

Motherboard: The GPU manufacturer doesn't matter as long as the CPU is compatible with the motherboard. I'd suggest the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, but any Intel-compatible motherboard (or AMD, but you have an Intel CPU) is compatible with that GPU. Just don't get micro ATX.

OC: Just get a Hyper 212 Evo as a CPU cooler. You're getting the i5-2500k, right? It's really popular for overclocking... I'm sure there are a bunch of resources online. Just make sure you test it out... the CPU business isn't called a silicon lottery for nothing (google it if you don't understand, or i can explain).
m
0
l
April 21, 2012 3:00:43 AM

ddan49 said:
The 7970 does have better performance, and it's also gotten a price drop recently. I really think the 7970 might be best. Just keep in mind it uses a BUNCH of wattage (like... 225W I think, or possibly more).

Motherboard: The GPU manufacturer doesn't matter as long as the CPU is compatible with the motherboard. I'd suggest the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, but any Intel-compatible motherboard (or AMD, but you have an Intel CPU) is compatible with that GPU. Just don't get micro ATX.

OC: Just get a Hyper 212 Evo as a CPU cooler. You're getting the i5-2500k, right? It's really popular for overclocking... I'm sure there are a bunch of resources online. Just make sure you test it out... the CPU business isn't called a silicon lottery for nothing (google it if you don't understand, or i can explain).


Thanks man, i read the reviews on newegg and a few other sites, and the i5 had 5eggs at 94%! on Newegg, incredible, what changed my mind was those reviews compared to the bulldozer 8150, cant thanks you and Kelthic enough for the help and urge to make me see that the i5 2500K (sandy bridge) is for me lol, thing is far better than i previously though, and could you explain that whole "silicon lottery" thing to me? I could find it online but i think it'd be better for an actual person to answer it instead and share their beliefs on it, Thanks!
m
0
l

Best solution

April 21, 2012 12:31:30 PM

Glad to help :) 

The silicon lottery refers to how not all chips are exactly the same. Since the chips are built so precisely, their performance can vary. ALL chips operate fine at stock speeds. However, some i5-2500ks will overclock better than others... because of discrepancies in manufacturing. That's why one person could overclock an i5-2500k to 4.5GHz with no sweat, and another one would have trouble at 4.2... this is the case with ALL chips. It's also why you shouldn't automatically set settings that worked for someone else on overclocking... you may have a chip that can't perform as well. Keep in mind that the chip isn't worse per se, and you can't send it back because it performs fine at stock speeds. The chance that you will get a great chip is called the silicon lottery ;)  You never know if you will get a chip from a good batch or a bad batch.

Good luck! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask them here or message one of the people who helped you!
Share
April 22, 2012 1:41:47 PM

Thanks very much man, i had heard something like that but never thought it would vary that much, just another thing to look forward to haha
m
0
l
April 24, 2012 1:36:12 AM

Best answer selected by LawL_Vengeance.
m
0
l
!