xbox360

From what I hear the Xbox360 will use a standard DVD drive. Is this the
achilles heel? Sony will use Blu Ray which will hold many times more data
and standard DVDs.

Discuss.
7 answers Last reply
More about xbox360

    cunning linguist wrote:
    > From what I hear the Xbox360 will use a standard DVD drive. Is this
    > the achilles heel? Sony will use Blu Ray which will hold many times
    > more data and standard DVDs.
    >
    > Discuss.

    It won't hurt them.

    How many games are more than 4.7 gigabytes, much less a dual layer's
    8.5?

    Not many. Out of all the systems I have (and the PC), I have one,
    Shadow Hearts 2, which takes up 2 DVDs.

    Jeremy Reaban schreef:
    > cunning linguist wrote:
    >
    >>From what I hear the Xbox360 will use a standard DVD drive. Is this
    >>the achilles heel? Sony will use Blu Ray which will hold many times
    >>more data and standard DVDs.
    >>
    >>Discuss.
    >

    > It won't hurt them.
    >
    > How many games are more than 4.7 gigabytes, much less a dual layer's
    > 8.5?
    >
    > Not many. Out of all the systems I have (and the PC), I have one,
    > Shadow Hearts 2, which takes up 2 DVDs.

    Nevertheless cl has a point. With higher resolutions, bigger intros and
    more extensive gameplay the amount of gigabytes used will be much higher....
    Therefor more space would be very welcome.

    Alexander

    "Alexander de Mol" <alexander-verwijdereninclusiefstreepjes-@dvd.nl> wrote
    in message news:4286fa0d$0$3251$dbd41001@news.wanadoo.nl...

    > Nevertheless cl has a point. With higher resolutions, bigger intros and
    > more extensive gameplay the amount of gigabytes used will be much
    higher....
    > Therefor more space would be very welcome.

    I can see your point, but I prefer actual gameplay content rather than
    extended cutscenes and a big storyline included with my games. Maybe some
    people like sitting through such sequences, but I generally just want to cut
    to the action. I speak for myself, but story means almost nothing to me.

    "Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > cunning linguist wrote:
    >> From what I hear the Xbox360 will use a standard DVD drive. Is this
    >> the achilles heel? Sony will use Blu Ray which will hold many times
    >> more data and standard DVDs.
    >>
    >> Discuss.
    >
    > It won't hurt them.
    >
    > How many games are more than 4.7 gigabytes, much less a dual layer's
    > 8.5?
    >
    > Not many. Out of all the systems I have (and the PC), I have one,
    > Shadow Hearts 2, which takes up 2 DVDs.

    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas used close to the capacity of both layers of a
    single DVD.

    I'm taking the wait and see approach on both consoles. Sony needs a strong
    online strategy this time around. Xbox on the other hand I think is shoot
    themselves twice in the foot... once for releasing early and twice for the
    disc format. DVD is not considered an HD format. I get a better picture from
    my antenna picking up local digital signals than I do from my progressive
    scan DVD player. So How can Microsoft tout HD era, but not have an HD
    format? for their sake I hope the rumors are true, that they will join up
    with Toshiba and grab the HD-DVD format to integrate into Xbox 360... I
    know its getting close to crunch time on the release... but they need that
    format, seriously. Otherwise the textures and graphics will look better on
    PS3

    "Brenden D. Chase" <brenden.chase@NOSPAMHEREgmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> cunning linguist wrote:
    >>> From what I hear the Xbox360 will use a standard DVD drive. Is this
    >>> the achilles heel? Sony will use Blu Ray which will hold many times
    >>> more data and standard DVDs.
    >>>
    >>> Discuss.
    >>
    >> It won't hurt them.
    >>
    >> How many games are more than 4.7 gigabytes, much less a dual layer's
    >> 8.5?
    >>
    >> Not many. Out of all the systems I have (and the PC), I have one,
    >> Shadow Hearts 2, which takes up 2 DVDs.
    >>

    > Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas used close to the capacity of both layers of
    > a single DVD.
    >
    > I'm taking the wait and see approach on both consoles. Sony needs a strong
    > online strategy this time around. Xbox on the other hand I think is shoot
    > themselves twice in the foot... once for releasing early and twice for the
    > disc format. DVD is not considered an HD format. I get a better picture
    > from my antenna picking up local digital signals than I do from my
    > progressive scan DVD player. So How can Microsoft tout HD era, but not
    > have an HD format? for their sake I hope the rumors are true, that they
    > will join up with Toshiba and grab the HD-DVD format to integrate into
    > Xbox 360... I know its getting close to crunch time on the release... but
    > they need that format, seriously. Otherwise the textures and graphics will
    > look better on PS3

    As I understand both technologies are to be rolled up into one and both
    systems will use them equally (no link, sorry). I know both techs will be
    combined, but I am not sure about who is using it.

    Brenden D. Chase <brenden.chase@nospamheregmail.com> wrote:

    > I'm taking the wait and see approach on both consoles. Sony needs a strong
    > online strategy this time around. Xbox on the other hand I think is shoot
    > themselves twice in the foot... once for releasing early and twice for the
    > disc format. DVD is not considered an HD format. I get a better picture from
    > my antenna picking up local digital signals than I do from my progressive
    > scan DVD player. So How can Microsoft tout HD era, but not have an HD
    > format? for their sake I hope the rumors are true, that they will join up
    > with Toshiba and grab the HD-DVD format to integrate into Xbox 360... I
    > know its getting close to crunch time on the release... but they need that
    > format, seriously. Otherwise the textures and graphics will look better on
    > PS3

    Why isn't DVD considered a HD format? Is it because you can't fit a 2hour
    movie onto a single sided DVD in HD, or are you talking about the actual
    video resolutions supported by DVD codecs?

    I don't see why Microsoft couldn't use DVDs to store their HD games on
    them. After all, what difference does the media make?

    I can't see the need for HD-DVD unless:
    * XBox360 games will be larger than ~8.4GB
    * Movies will be available on HD-DVD

    Otherwise, what's the big deal?

    Even if the Xbox360 is HD-DVD compatible and there will be HD-DVD movies
    available, Xbox360 is still going to be $300-360. This might be a good
    price for a first-generation HD-DVD player, but in a year or so I'd
    predict that you'll start seeing second generation, entry-level players
    for $200, with them dropping to $100 the year after that.

    Even though I am looking at purchasing a HD set within the next 8-12
    months, I'm certainly not going to be in a rush to upgrade/rebuy my movie
    collection.

    "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
    > Brenden D. Chase <brenden.chase@nospamheregmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm taking the wait and see approach on both consoles. Sony needs a
    >> strong
    >> online strategy this time around. Xbox on the other hand I think is shoot
    >> themselves twice in the foot... once for releasing early and twice for
    >> the
    >> disc format. DVD is not considered an HD format. I get a better picture
    >> from
    >> my antenna picking up local digital signals than I do from my progressive
    >> scan DVD player. So How can Microsoft tout HD era, but not have an HD
    >> format? for their sake I hope the rumors are true, that they will join up
    >> with Toshiba and grab the HD-DVD format to integrate into Xbox 360... I
    >> know its getting close to crunch time on the release... but they need
    >> that
    >> format, seriously. Otherwise the textures and graphics will look better
    >> on
    >> PS3
    >
    > Why isn't DVD considered a HD format? Is it because you can't fit a 2hour
    > movie onto a single sided DVD in HD, or are you talking about the actual
    > video resolutions supported by DVD codecs?
    >
    > I don't see why Microsoft couldn't use DVDs to store their HD games on
    > them. After all, what difference does the media make?
    >
    > I can't see the need for HD-DVD unless:
    > * XBox360 games will be larger than ~8.4GB
    > * Movies will be available on HD-DVD
    >
    > Otherwise, what's the big deal?
    >
    > Even if the Xbox360 is HD-DVD compatible and there will be HD-DVD movies
    > available, Xbox360 is still going to be $300-360. This might be a good
    > price for a first-generation HD-DVD player, but in a year or so I'd
    > predict that you'll start seeing second generation, entry-level players
    > for $200, with them dropping to $100 the year after that.
    >
    > Even though I am looking at purchasing a HD set within the next 8-12
    > months, I'm certainly not going to be in a rush to upgrade/rebuy my movie
    > collection.

    yeah I don't want to rebuy movies either...

    but think about this for a second. In order for graphics themselves to look
    better and for a game to have more content you need more space and/or
    compression... but decompression takes time on the processor. So lets not
    step in that direction... lets welcome a bigger format. The resolutions are
    raising, better textures, better AI.. all that info has to go somewhere. As
    for movies... I'm not concerned about them.. I want the best gaming
    possible... and that will take more space.

Console Gaming Games Xbox 360 Video DVD Drives Video Games