xbox360

Last response: in Video Games
May 15, 2005 12:45:33 AM

From what I hear the Xbox360 will use a standard DVD drive. Is this the
achilles heel? Sony will use Blu Ray which will hold many times more data
and standard DVDs.

Discuss.

More about : xbox360

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 12:45:34 AM

cunning linguist wrote:
> From what I hear the Xbox360 will use a standard DVD drive. Is this
> the achilles heel? Sony will use Blu Ray which will hold many times
> more data and standard DVDs.
>
> Discuss.

It won't hurt them.

How many games are more than 4.7 gigabytes, much less a dual layer's
8.5?

Not many. Out of all the systems I have (and the PC), I have one,
Shadow Hearts 2, which takes up 2 DVDs.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 1:28:08 PM

Jeremy Reaban schreef:
> cunning linguist wrote:
>
>>From what I hear the Xbox360 will use a standard DVD drive. Is this
>>the achilles heel? Sony will use Blu Ray which will hold many times
>>more data and standard DVDs.
>>
>>Discuss.
>

> It won't hurt them.
>
> How many games are more than 4.7 gigabytes, much less a dual layer's
> 8.5?
>
> Not many. Out of all the systems I have (and the PC), I have one,
> Shadow Hearts 2, which takes up 2 DVDs.

Nevertheless cl has a point. With higher resolutions, bigger intros and
more extensive gameplay the amount of gigabytes used will be much higher....
Therefor more space would be very welcome.

Alexander
May 15, 2005 1:28:09 PM

"Alexander de Mol" <alexander-verwijdereninclusiefstreepjes-@dvd.nl> wrote
in message news:4286fa0d$0$3251$dbd41001@news.wanadoo.nl...

> Nevertheless cl has a point. With higher resolutions, bigger intros and
> more extensive gameplay the amount of gigabytes used will be much
higher....
> Therefor more space would be very welcome.

I can see your point, but I prefer actual gameplay content rather than
extended cutscenes and a big storyline included with my games. Maybe some
people like sitting through such sequences, but I generally just want to cut
to the action. I speak for myself, but story means almost nothing to me.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 6:54:30 PM

"Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> cunning linguist wrote:
>> From what I hear the Xbox360 will use a standard DVD drive. Is this
>> the achilles heel? Sony will use Blu Ray which will hold many times
>> more data and standard DVDs.
>>
>> Discuss.
>
> It won't hurt them.
>
> How many games are more than 4.7 gigabytes, much less a dual layer's
> 8.5?
>
> Not many. Out of all the systems I have (and the PC), I have one,
> Shadow Hearts 2, which takes up 2 DVDs.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas used close to the capacity of both layers of a
single DVD.

I'm taking the wait and see approach on both consoles. Sony needs a strong
online strategy this time around. Xbox on the other hand I think is shoot
themselves twice in the foot... once for releasing early and twice for the
disc format. DVD is not considered an HD format. I get a better picture from
my antenna picking up local digital signals than I do from my progressive
scan DVD player. So How can Microsoft tout HD era, but not have an HD
format? for their sake I hope the rumors are true, that they will join up
with Toshiba and grab the HD-DVD format to integrate into Xbox 360... I
know its getting close to crunch time on the release... but they need that
format, seriously. Otherwise the textures and graphics will look better on
PS3
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 5:02:43 AM

"Brenden D. Chase" <brenden.chase@NOSPAMHEREgmail.com> wrote in message
> "Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> cunning linguist wrote:
>>> From what I hear the Xbox360 will use a standard DVD drive. Is this
>>> the achilles heel? Sony will use Blu Ray which will hold many times
>>> more data and standard DVDs.
>>>
>>> Discuss.
>>
>> It won't hurt them.
>>
>> How many games are more than 4.7 gigabytes, much less a dual layer's
>> 8.5?
>>
>> Not many. Out of all the systems I have (and the PC), I have one,
>> Shadow Hearts 2, which takes up 2 DVDs.
>>

> Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas used close to the capacity of both layers of
> a single DVD.
>
> I'm taking the wait and see approach on both consoles. Sony needs a strong
> online strategy this time around. Xbox on the other hand I think is shoot
> themselves twice in the foot... once for releasing early and twice for the
> disc format. DVD is not considered an HD format. I get a better picture
> from my antenna picking up local digital signals than I do from my
> progressive scan DVD player. So How can Microsoft tout HD era, but not
> have an HD format? for their sake I hope the rumors are true, that they
> will join up with Toshiba and grab the HD-DVD format to integrate into
> Xbox 360... I know its getting close to crunch time on the release... but
> they need that format, seriously. Otherwise the textures and graphics will
> look better on PS3

As I understand both technologies are to be rolled up into one and both
systems will use them equally (no link, sorry). I know both techs will be
combined, but I am not sure about who is using it.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 5:09:14 AM

Brenden D. Chase <brenden.chase@nospamheregmail.com> wrote:

> I'm taking the wait and see approach on both consoles. Sony needs a strong
> online strategy this time around. Xbox on the other hand I think is shoot
> themselves twice in the foot... once for releasing early and twice for the
> disc format. DVD is not considered an HD format. I get a better picture from
> my antenna picking up local digital signals than I do from my progressive
> scan DVD player. So How can Microsoft tout HD era, but not have an HD
> format? for their sake I hope the rumors are true, that they will join up
> with Toshiba and grab the HD-DVD format to integrate into Xbox 360... I
> know its getting close to crunch time on the release... but they need that
> format, seriously. Otherwise the textures and graphics will look better on
> PS3

Why isn't DVD considered a HD format? Is it because you can't fit a 2hour
movie onto a single sided DVD in HD, or are you talking about the actual
video resolutions supported by DVD codecs?

I don't see why Microsoft couldn't use DVDs to store their HD games on
them. After all, what difference does the media make?

I can't see the need for HD-DVD unless:
* XBox360 games will be larger than ~8.4GB
* Movies will be available on HD-DVD

Otherwise, what's the big deal?

Even if the Xbox360 is HD-DVD compatible and there will be HD-DVD movies
available, Xbox360 is still going to be $300-360. This might be a good
price for a first-generation HD-DVD player, but in a year or so I'd
predict that you'll start seeing second generation, entry-level players
for $200, with them dropping to $100 the year after that.

Even though I am looking at purchasing a HD set within the next 8-12
months, I'm certainly not going to be in a rush to upgrade/rebuy my movie
collection.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 10:46:59 PM

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> Brenden D. Chase <brenden.chase@nospamheregmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm taking the wait and see approach on both consoles. Sony needs a
>> strong
>> online strategy this time around. Xbox on the other hand I think is shoot
>> themselves twice in the foot... once for releasing early and twice for
>> the
>> disc format. DVD is not considered an HD format. I get a better picture
>> from
>> my antenna picking up local digital signals than I do from my progressive
>> scan DVD player. So How can Microsoft tout HD era, but not have an HD
>> format? for their sake I hope the rumors are true, that they will join up
>> with Toshiba and grab the HD-DVD format to integrate into Xbox 360... I
>> know its getting close to crunch time on the release... but they need
>> that
>> format, seriously. Otherwise the textures and graphics will look better
>> on
>> PS3
>
> Why isn't DVD considered a HD format? Is it because you can't fit a 2hour
> movie onto a single sided DVD in HD, or are you talking about the actual
> video resolutions supported by DVD codecs?
>
> I don't see why Microsoft couldn't use DVDs to store their HD games on
> them. After all, what difference does the media make?
>
> I can't see the need for HD-DVD unless:
> * XBox360 games will be larger than ~8.4GB
> * Movies will be available on HD-DVD
>
> Otherwise, what's the big deal?
>
> Even if the Xbox360 is HD-DVD compatible and there will be HD-DVD movies
> available, Xbox360 is still going to be $300-360. This might be a good
> price for a first-generation HD-DVD player, but in a year or so I'd
> predict that you'll start seeing second generation, entry-level players
> for $200, with them dropping to $100 the year after that.
>
> Even though I am looking at purchasing a HD set within the next 8-12
> months, I'm certainly not going to be in a rush to upgrade/rebuy my movie
> collection.

yeah I don't want to rebuy movies either...

but think about this for a second. In order for graphics themselves to look
better and for a game to have more content you need more space and/or
compression... but decompression takes time on the processor. So lets not
step in that direction... lets welcome a bigger format. The resolutions are
raising, better textures, better AI.. all that info has to go somewhere. As
for movies... I'm not concerned about them.. I want the best gaming
possible... and that will take more space.
!