I want t build an $4000+ After Effects Beast computer

oblong1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Well maybe a semi- beast...

I asked for some advice on this over a year ago and got great responses, but life took a different turn and by the time I got back to it the computer world had moved on quickly as usual.

So I have done a bit of research - and it could all be wrong - but this is what I have come up with - some of these parts may be there just for the thrill of it - it could be that a better rig could be built at a similar price with other parts.

I have $4000 as my guide - would be glad to come in under by a lot - would go up to $6000 if I was really getting a massive performance boost.

I would love some advice - if this build of mine is silly - or if there is something missing or a conflict.

2 x Intel Xeon E5-2630 Sandy Bridge-EP 2.3GHz 15MB L3 Cache LGA 2011 95W Six-Core Server Processor

- is it just me, but I am drooling about having two cpus.

ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS Dual LGA 2011 Intel C602 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 SSI EEB Intel Motherboard

- it exists - I can buy it now. Some others I looked at are not in shops though they are "released' - whatever that means.

8 x Kingston 8GB DDR3-1333 ECC/REG CL9(Low Power 1.35V)

- recommended by asus for the mobo.

1 x Nvidia GTX 680

- I am not a gamer - don't need two cards - this one has over 1500 cuda cores which should help Photoshop, 3dsmax, premiere. After Effects does not use the graphics cards (well it does a bit, but not all of it does, and the adobe guys themselves don't use the GPU for After Effects - it runs mainly off RAM and CPU)
- there are quaddro cards that are meant to be better for graphics, but they are built on older gpu technology and I really cannot get a definitive answer, than the "officially reccommended" answer. And those Quaddro cards do not seem to stack up against the GTX series - I can't help but thinking they have some hardware mod on the board that makes it officially a quaddro board with not much difference at all except price - I could be totally wrong but find it strange that there doesen't seem to be a benchmark test of a quaddro cards up against gtx doing graphics rendering, video etc - maybe there is - and I haven't seen it.)

1 x CRUCIAL M4 512GB 2.5" SSD 6Gb/s SOLID STATE DRIVE SATA III / II

- seems to me if you are making the processor and other parts fast - why hold back on this. This would be the drive for the operating system and programs. I currently use about 250gig on just programs.

Also need advice on:

Some kind of raid swappable storage sytem thing
Tower that fits all of this and would have good airflow. I have had overheat issues before, I live in a pretty warm climate and can't stand air con.
Power supply
Cooling - a little bit afraid of going liquid cool, but could be talked into it. Don't like fan noise but maybe I have to live with it. This bit concerns me

Sorry if that was a bit long - just wanted to get it out there where I am at. Would love some help.
Thanks

Lloyd

Solution
okay and e-atx board is slightly larger than a normal atx (4 inches i think) so if you were to go with the HAF 912 you'd have to get plastic standoffs in terms of HDD you probably dont want to go four external simply because you would end up using alot of your usb slots maybe to external and two internal? i wouldn't recomend more than two externals however too much can go wrong and you don't want a ton of your data out the window if you spill something on one.

cdiscoll2012

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
okay for a cpu cooler if you don't want to go water cooling go with two CM hyper evo's
for a case try a CM HAF 912 and instead of the 2 Xeons try going with two i7 2700k's they are great for editing and are much faster than those Xeons and you have the option of OC'ing in the future and instead of that RAM go with some Mushkin 1600

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115095&Tpk=i7%202700k

CPU Cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226272

as for a PSU this might be overkill but here you go:
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151110

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009

You can't use regular processors for dual socket boards only xeons since regular processors don't support the extra qpi link that dual boards need. So keep those xeons and don't listen to this guy about the processors. Unless i'm mistaken and its got a modified bios with motherboard like referred to in this article: http://semiaccurate.com/2010/01/27/core-i7-can-work-dual-cpu-mode/

cdiscoll2012

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

im sorry he's right i had a bit of a brain malfunction
can i ask why you want two server cpu's?

oblong1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Yeah I was a little confused there.

My reasoning is that, and I could be wrong, that the 6 core cpu, the 15mb l3 cache, and having two of them on the 2011 socket would be quicker. That I could upgrade to ivy bridge, and the motherboard would support a lot of ram. Basically After effects is a cpu and ram draining fiend and I thought two cpus gotta be quicker than 1.

oblong1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010

That psu looks great. I like all the energy saving options. When this computer isn't rendering I would like it to be running a bit less power hungry. But if it has to suck the power such is life, it is how I earn my money so if it cost more to run then i will have to live with it.

cdiscoll2012

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

it says you could use two i7's in the article
"However, one of our sources informed us today that it’s possible to make a pair of LGA-1366 Core i7 processors work together"
and oblong while that is true the i7 is also a great photo/video editing processor and its faster than a single Xeon and if the article that mightymaxio posted is correct you would be able to use dual i7's with the right chipset...unless of course i completly mis-read the article which is completly possible

oblong1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
yeah I think that article is getting into the speculative side of building. I am happy to put together parts that are known together.

Would that tower fit my mobo?

oblong1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Well I have looked at the corsair hydro series h80 - that seems to be an easy way for me to get liquid cool. if I get tow of those - one for each cpu. Still looking at solutions for the gtx 680 - though it says it is quieter than predeccessors - I am still afraid.

The 1050w seasonic psu sounds great. The asus site reccomends a minimum of 800w - so I was wondering if I needed to get that extra 250w - but it does get good reviews and looks like a great psu.

the case for the e-atx board is something I have not a clue about.
and thinking of having the hdds for the work in some kind of raid config - possibly external possibly 4 drives.

appreciate any thoughts

cdiscoll2012

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
okay and e-atx board is slightly larger than a normal atx (4 inches i think) so if you were to go with the HAF 912 you'd have to get plastic standoffs in terms of HDD you probably dont want to go four external simply because you would end up using alot of your usb slots maybe to external and two internal? i wouldn't recomend more than two externals however too much can go wrong and you don't want a ton of your data out the window if you spill something on one.

Solution