skiberdee

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
my psu just exploded so can someone recomend a good 700w power supply for about 70quid and a case with good airflow and space for the same price thanks

AxelTDH

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

Yikes, i didn't know raidmax had that bad of a rep. My bad. Most of the time I use Corsair, I used a raidmax in a pc once and had no problems with it though.

AxelTDH

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

No there is no harm in it, it's just as you said though, it's a waste of money.

AxelTDH

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

That will not be a problem. A PC only draws as much power as it needs from the PSU. Really if you want to you could put a 1500 watt PSU in a system that only needs 500 watts and there would be no problem

D

Deleted member 217926

^ This.

Components only draw as much as they need.

Also avoid Raidmax. Stick with Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ and Antec for quality.

Here is a very accurate list of how much power you need with what graphics card. This is for the whole system and assumes a generic brand. The brands I listed are all high quality.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Fixed.

D

Deleted member 217926

^ Ummm no.

Nothing at all wrong with either of the OCZ units. I do agree with the crapmaster being deleted though.

D

Deleted member 217926

Still crossing them off the list implies they are bad when in fact they are good units unlike the Coolermasters.

skiberdee

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

a gtx 580 and a fx 8120 2 hdd' and a cd drive had a 650w before so was thinking that that wasnt enough

amuffin nailed this thread.

This is my recommendation

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

Good enough for what you need now, almost 600 watts on the 12 volt rail alone. Can use it for your next PC too. Highly unlikely to ever give you any problems. Seasonic manufactures most of the units for XFX and Corsair so you'll be getting a quality item no matter what.

The only issue with putting a massively large PSU in a small PC is that PSUs tend to be most efficient at 50% load so an oversized PSU might be a little less efficient than one which is sized properly. Big whoop, screw the whales.

skiberdee

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

yea i had a look at it nothing looks damaged so fingers crossed

That is NOT correct. If the PSU is too powerful, it will usually be at very low load levels. PSUs are most efficient around 50% load, and least efficient at very low load levels. So your PSU will be using a lot more power than necessary, and generating tons of waste heat. So it's better to pick a PSU that fits the power requirements of the system.

Honestly, most PSU efficiency curves are fairly flat Sakkura, a good 1500 W PSU running at only 150 W(10% load) is still close to 80% efficient so it isn't generating tons of waste heat, just a bit more than something that has it at the peak of its load curve.

Take the Lepa G1600 for example, at 150 W it would be generating less waste heat than a 500 W bronze rated unit even though it is massively oversized for the system. Modern units are quite efficient across the spectrum and while they are most efficient around 50% load they do not have miserable efficiency at the ends of the spectrums
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=283

Is this what you call flat?

eff-comparison.png

... and that's with an 80 Plus Silver-rated 900W PSU.