Windows freezes after NIC installed

luke4507

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Greetings all. I've recently finished putting together my new computer and, after installing, upgrading, and updating everything else, I tried to install the last piece of hardware. A PCI-e wireless NIC. (All prior internetting was done with the built-in LAN adapter)
The computer was working just fine until the NIC was installed. I put the NIC in and now Windows won't load. It gets to the point where the Windows logo is on the screen and freezes every time. I've tried starting it in Safe mode as well and it still freezes. At first I thought it might have been a bad card so I RMA'd it, but the replacement card does the same thing. Thinking it might be some kind of brand conflict I picked up a different wireless NIC, but it's still freezing up on me as soon as it's installed.
I have tried moving the card to every other available PCI-e slot, changing the gen of the slot the card is in, installing the card before installing the drivers, installing the drivers before installing the card. If anyone has any suggestions that might help out I would be more than happy to try them. Below are my PC specs.
Old NIC: Netis WF-2113
New NIC: ASUS PCE-N15
Mobo: ASRock X79 Extreme9
CPU: Intel i7-3930k
PSU: Corsair Professional HX850
Video: XFX Double-D Radeon 7970
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 in RAID 0 (boot drive)
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1.5TB

drums101

Distinguished
hmm thats odd...is there another pc you could try it in to see if it is a problem with your card/mobo combo? if you put it into a diff pc and it works no problem then you might just be out of luck but if it causes the same issues then you should RMA the card again and get a new one from ASUS.....I googled info about the card and nothing came up with an issue like this so its possible you got two weird ones (although unlikely) you might just have to try a different wireless card if thats the case.

edit: if you turn the computer on and go into the BIOS does it work fine for a while or does it freeze up like when you boot into windows? You would think if its causing issues with your motherboard your BIOS would freeze too