Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

600-650$ gaming build

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 17, 2012 2:52:18 AM

approximate Purchase Date: Within the next week or two.

Budget Range: 600-650$

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Parts Not Required: Monitor, mouse, keyboard, cd drive , speakers, hard drive. (I have all these already).

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon

Country: US, fort myers florida

Parts Preferences: AMD, nvidia

Overclocking: yes

SLI or Crossfire: No

will be used for diablo 3 and LoL

Memory -G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1333MHz - http://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-PC3-10666-240-Pin...]

Drive controllers -???

GRAPHICS CARD-EVGA GeForce GTX480 1536MB GDDR5 - http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-GTX480-Graphics-015-...

Motherboard -BIOSTAR TA990FXE- http://www.amazon.com/Biostar-990FX-6Gbps-Motherboard-T...

cpu processor -amd phenom ii 965 black edition - http://www.amazon.com/Phenom-Black-3-4Ghz-512KB-4000MHZ...

Case -Apevia X-TRP-RD X-TROOPER - http://www.amazon.com/Apevia-X-TRP-RD-X-TROOPER-Series-...

total price= 572.46$

diablo 3 system requirements- http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-syst...

More about : 600 650 gaming build

April 17, 2012 3:28:27 AM

You seem to be forgetting a PSU (power supply) and OS (operating system) those alone add another $150 to the price.
I would get this for the price (I chose an AMD CPU because you wanted that but didn't chose a NVidia GPU because the one's for the price are simply better, also I would prefer to get Intel CPU but you specifically wanted AMD although Intel would be better for gaming).
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.as...
April 17, 2012 3:34:17 AM

If you would be willing to get an Intel processor I would get this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
You could also take away the CPU cooler then since the i3 can't be overclocked.
That would be all you would have to change.

Reasoning behind all of the parts I picked.
GPU it is the best card in the price range.

CPU the AMD is the OEM version of the CPU which just means it doesn't come in the box with a cooler, since you would overclock anyways the cooler that comes with the CPU is unneeded. The Intel is better for gaming that the AMD and it offers a better upgrade line. The Intel 1155 socket is being updated while the current AM3+ socket processors are worse than the AM3 processors.

Case is a better brand that Apevia but if you really like the case you found by all means take that over the Antec one because it's your computer build.

Memory is just good cheap 1333 speed.

The PSU is a good reliable brand that has the power to power the GPU and is a good price.

Both motherboards have the ability to upgrade the memory (2 unused slots) and have USB 3.0 on the back.

For the CPU cooler (only needed for AMD processor) the model is an updated (slightly better) version of one of the most popular coolers on the market, also performs great for the price.

Lastly the OS is windows 7 64Bit so that it can handle the 8GB of memory and possibly more.
Related resources
April 17, 2012 3:56:48 AM

I guess besides that your build looks fine but I would get some of the parts off of http://www.newegg.com/ because they are cheaper. That website is one of the most used in the US for computer parts and is very good for RMA's and shipping times.

Since you don't live in a state where they have a warehouse you don't have to pay tax either. Just mentioning it so that you might be able to save a bit of money.

Are you sticking to your budget or going over by $75? If you had a bit more of a price cap you could consider getting the 560Ti or even the 7850.
April 17, 2012 4:07:36 AM

andrewcarr said:
I guess besides that your build looks fine but I would get some of the parts off of http://www.newegg.com/ because they are cheaper. That website is one of the most used in the US for computer parts and is very good for RMA's and shipping times.

Since you don't live in a state where they have a warehouse you don't have to pay tax either. Just mentioning it so that you might be able to save a bit of money.

Are you sticking to your budget or going over by $75? If you had a bit more of a price cap you could consider getting the 560Ti or even the 7850.

Thanks and i maybe be able to the 560Ti! also the first link to a newegg wishlist you sent me was empty
April 17, 2012 10:30:40 AM
April 17, 2012 5:39:01 PM

Right now dude, the best thing you can do if you absolutely want a AMD processor...

Phenom II 980
Phenom II 975
Phenom II 1090T (if you can find one, since AMD has taken Phenom off the market) What kinda board do you want? Mid range?
April 17, 2012 6:54:41 PM

Yes it will fit in the case, but I would think about getting a HAF 912 of Newegg. It's a great case and is only $50 after a rebate. You could also go for a NZXT Source 220 if you wanted, it's the same price as the Apevia.
April 17, 2012 7:37:41 PM

Ok so im going to order this the 20th and this is what i have decided to buy any last minute changes are still appreciated

graphics card- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OS- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

cpu/mobo deal- http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

the reason im not buying a case and buying a OS instead is because i currently have a Emachine et1331g so im just going to use its case/hard drive and i dont belive i can just plug my hard drive into my new mobo and have it will run my current OS so if im rite im going to have to wipe it clean then put a new OS on it?
April 18, 2012 12:39:46 AM

One change you can make to save you quite a bit of money is to switch to the 7850 it performs about the same as the 570 in most games and is $50 cheaper.
proof- http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi... & http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
The 7850 I would get- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Yes you will have to do a fresh install of windows.

Just check the inside dimensions of the case to make sure the GPU you are looking at will fit (although I believe it will just to be sure).

Also you should be able to use a PSU at 500w to get the job done with either GPU (570 or 7850) http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

I like your motherboard choice because it allows you to easily upgrade to Ivy Bridge in the future and if you get a k model CPU it will allow you to overclock it, good find.
April 18, 2012 1:07:08 AM

I would go Intel. AMD just fails in comparison. Specially in frames.
Check out my $650 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
Since you don't need an HDD, switch the 6870 to the 7850. (+90)
http://www.amazon.com/HD7850-DC2-2GD5-DisplayPort-Utili...

i5 2400 vs 965
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=363

The 7850 will save power, have lower temps, better overclocks, higher performance after overclock, and at stock it's close to the 480 in performance.
April 18, 2012 1:12:42 AM

aznshinobi said:
I would go Intel. AMD just fails in comparison. Specially in frames.
Check out my $650 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
Since you don't need an HDD, switch the 6870 to the 7850. (+90)
http://www.amazon.com/HD7850-DC2-2GD5-DisplayPort-Utili...

i5 2400 vs 965
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=363

The 7850 will save power, have lower temps, better overclocks, higher performance after overclock, and at stock it's close to the 480 in performance.

Some people need to read the entire thread, he has decided on an i3-2120 and an Z77 motherboard.
April 18, 2012 1:16:44 AM

Oh well sorry.

Seeing as OP needs OS. Solid route. Wouldn't suggest the 570 as you stated. Go with the 7850. Lower power consumption, costs less, cooler, and overclocks better. As I stated. After overclocks it's able to surpass a 570 at max OC.
April 18, 2012 1:22:04 AM

i3 2120 will give better performance on gaming
April 18, 2012 1:24:32 AM

guerrero said:
i3 2120 will give better performance on gaming

lol Again read the thread people. :non: 
April 18, 2012 1:26:51 AM

andrewcarr said:
lol Again read the thread people. :non: 


lol it will give better performance for that 965 i read a little :fou: 
April 18, 2012 1:36:04 AM

Now that the 9650 was pointed out I noticed something weird, sorry I'm off topic.
http://www.amazon.com/Phenom-Black-3-4Ghz-512KB-4000MHZ...
Apparently the original CPU he posted runs at "3.4 GHz" or "4000 MHz". Am I missing something?

He just had the i3-2120 picked out for a bit and it annoys me when people jump in like that and don't read so I always make sure I do read if I contribute to a thread.
April 18, 2012 1:55:10 AM

I think the choice to change from amd to Intel was a good one. I recently built up a AMD rig with the FX 6100 (because I was on a budget) ASUS ATI Radeon EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5 and the GigaByte GA-970A-ud3 mbu. Let me tell you it was crap for games and just about everything else. Even after I updated everything and got all of the correct drivers it just was not that good. Its hard to explain its almost like the amd chip was not really compatible with everything and it seamed so inconsistent.In fact I have a note book Lenovo g770 with the older i5 dual core that runs so much smoother than the amd chip. So what I did was took it all apart and returned the cpu and mbu and purchased the i3 with the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 mbu. I can say the in my opinion the i3 performs much better. Also the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 mbu is a killer looking board and it has tons of features. From what I have read the mbu is arguably the best bang for your buck Intel board so soy may want to think about kicking out the extra 20 bucks and getting that one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
April 18, 2012 2:07:39 AM

Yes the board is a good bang for the buck but he doesn't want to CF/SLI his GPU in the future so there is no benefit of the extra money everything else him current motherboard can do and has the Z77 chip set for an Ivy Bridge upgrade in the future (although yes the Z68 is also compatible with Ivy Bridge, I don't know if their could be any problems that could arise with that, such as only certain vendors making them compatible).
April 18, 2012 2:21:00 AM

*
andrewcarr said:
One change you can make to save you quite a bit of money is to switch to the 7850 it performs about the same as the 570 in most games and is $50 cheaper.
proof- http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi... & http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
The 7850 I would get- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Yes you will have to do a fresh install of windows.

Just check the inside dimensions of the case to make sure the GPU you are looking at will fit (although I believe it will just to be sure).

Also you should be able to use a PSU at 500w to get the job done with either GPU (570 or 7850) http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

I like your motherboard choice because it allows you to easily upgrade to Ivy Bridge in the future and if you get a k model CPU it will allow you to overclock it, good find.



I have a ASUS EAH6870 and I am wondering what the performance differences are is it really worth the extra 75 dollars for the SAPPHIRE 11200-00-20G Radeon HD 7850 2GB and would you notice in games? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... I can play all of my games like battlefield 3 and Crysis maxed out and its perfectly smooth. If the performance of the more expensive card will not be noticeable the op could save lots of cash going with a ASUS EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5 Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5. HE could take the saved cash and get a 60gb ssd for Windows. I got a ssd for my machine and I love it boots in like 20 seconds and my computer is much snappier.
April 18, 2012 2:28:25 AM

pfunkmd said:
*


I have a ASUS EAH6870 and I am wondering what the performance differences are is it really worth the extra 75 dollars for the SAPPHIRE 11200-00-20G Radeon HD 7850 2GB and would you notice in games? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... I can play all of my games like battlefield 3 and Crysis maxed out and its perfectly smooth. If the performance of the more expensive card will not be noticeable the op could save lots of cash going with a ASUS EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5 Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5. HE could take the saved cash and get a 60gb ssd for Windows. I got a ssd for my machine and I love it boots in like 20 seconds and my computer is much snappier.

The 7850 performs similar to the 570 and 6970 and is cheaper than those two and it outperforms the 6950. So yes it is a worthwhile $75 spent. The SSD doesn't help in games only for windows load times. This article has the performance in games for both the 7850, 6970 and 570.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi...
April 18, 2012 2:29:35 AM

You would notice it immensely. Specially after overclocks. Temps and sound are much quieter on the 7850. The 7850 is capable of overclocking to the performance of a 7870/slightly better or in other words a GTX 580. The 6870 can barely overclock to the performance of a 560 Ti for that better the stock performance, the 7850 already was better.

It goes GPU > Majority of the system. If you're on a small budget. You take the i3 2100 instead of the i5 2400 to get a better GPU. Though it depends on the performance you require. Some actually need the i5 2400 so there is always that exception.

SSDs are nice, but on a small budget, you get the critical towards what you want to do first. That would be CPU and GPU first.
April 18, 2012 2:53:44 AM

andrewcarr said:
The 7850 performs similar to the 570 and 6970 and is cheaper than those two and it outperforms the 6950. So yes it is a worthwhile $75 spent. The SSD doesn't help in games only for windows load times. This article has the performance in games for both the 7850, 6970 and 570.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi...

ok so are you saying that i should get the 7850 or the 570? and on a side note how hard is it to OC?
April 18, 2012 2:55:23 AM

Get the 7850.

And it's not hard at all. Fairly easy. MSI Afterburner is a usual GPU overclocking program. A quick google or youtube for a video would give you a pretty good idea.

Best solution

April 18, 2012 3:00:46 AM
Share

What I was saying is that you should get the 7850 as aznshinobi said. It is cheaper and can be overclocked to perform better than an overclocked 570 for $50 cheaper. You can either use MSI afterburner or AMD Catalyst Control Center (CCC) to overclock and yes it is easy.
April 18, 2012 3:17:49 AM

andrewcarr said:
What I was saying is that you should get the 7850 as aznshinobi said. It is cheaper and can be overclocked to perform better than an overclocked 570 for $50 cheaper. You can either use MSI afterburner or AMD Catalyst Control Center (CCC) to overclock and yes it is easy.

and im just taking a guess that these programs are free? thanks for all the help btw here is my current buy

cpu/mobo- http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

gpu- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

os- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
April 18, 2012 3:22:56 AM

aznshinobi said:
You would notice it immensely. Specially after overclocks. Temps and sound are much quieter on the 7850. The 7850 is capable of overclocking to the performance of a 7870/slightly better or in other words a GTX 580. The 6870 can barely overclock to the performance of a 560 Ti for that better the stock performance, the 7850 already was better.

It goes GPU > Majority of the system. If you're on a small budget. You take the i3 2100 instead of the i5 2400 to get a better GPU. Though it depends on the performance you require. Some actually need the i5 2400 so there is always that exception.

SSDs are nice, but on a small budget, you get the critical towards what you want to do first. That would be CPU and GPU first.


I kind of wish I would have saved a little more and got a 7850. What do you think about sli would it be better to go with two 6870's or get rid of the 6870 and go with a 7850. My board is sli compatible
April 18, 2012 3:27:41 AM

SLI is Nvidia, CF is AMD.

Personally, I'd just sell the 6870 and get the 7850. But with the 6xx series releasing I'd wait and see what both parties have to offer. At that point sell the 6870 at about $130 which is probably what you might get for it when Kepler comes out.
April 18, 2012 3:32:27 AM

pfunkmd said:
I kind of wish I would have saved a little more and got a 7850. What do you think about sli would it be better to go with two 6870's or get rid of the 6870 and go with a 7850. My board is sli compatible

First of all yes get the Sapphire GPU over the PowerColor one, it is a better brand and a better card, the Sapphire GPU that is.

pfunkmd first of all you should start your own thread and not hijack this one. But the answer to your question is that two 6870 are more powerful but you want to make sure your motherboard has at least dual PCI-E 8x slots not one 16x and one 4x that can cause issues. The two 6870's also need a better PSU to support them (I wouldn't go less than 750W for CF/SLI. Lastly you can run into issues with two cards such as micro stutter and some games only supporting one of the cards not both of them.
April 18, 2012 3:35:27 AM

aznshinobi said:
SLI is Nvidia, CF is AMD.

Personally, I'd just sell the 6870 and get the 7850. But with the 6xx series releasing I'd wait and see what both parties have to offer. At that point sell the 6870 at about $130 which is probably what you might get for it when Kepler comes out.


i see that its better cooling because of the 2 fans but i have always disliked the color blue and want my whole system to match since i will be showing it off to a few friends =[

do you know if you would be able to see the bottom of the card? if not then id have no problem getting it
April 18, 2012 3:40:51 AM

What do you mean by bottom of the card? If you mean where it is connected to the motherboard then no you won't be able to see it. You will mostly only be able to see the top view of it so just a thin black strip that says sapphire but you might be able to see the sides with the fans and the back a bit too. I would get the better card over a slight difference in color when you won't even be able to see the font red color much at all anyways.
April 18, 2012 3:44:33 AM

andrewcarr said:
First of all yes get the Sapphire GPU over the PowerColor one, it is a better brand and a better card, the Sapphire GPU that is.

pfunkmd first of all you should start your own thread and not hijack this one. But the answer to your question is that two 6870 are more powerful but you want to make sure your motherboard has at least dual PCI-E 8x slots not one 16x and one 4x that can cause issues. The two 6870's also need a better PSU to support them (I wouldn't go less than 750W for CF/SLI. Lastly you can run into issues with two cards such as micro stutter and some games only supporting one of the cards not both of them.


Ok sorry bro I am new here next time I will start a new thread.
April 18, 2012 3:47:01 AM

Best answer selected by inthecage.
April 18, 2012 3:47:34 AM

andrewcarr said:
What do you mean by bottom of the card? If you mean where it is connected to the motherboard then no you won't be able to see it. You will mostly only be able to see the top view of it so just a thin black strip that says sapphire but you might be able to see the sides with the fans and the back a bit too. I would get the better card over a slight difference in color when you won't even be able to see the font red color much at all anyways.


ok thanks will get that! you have been a ton of help!
April 18, 2012 3:50:48 AM

andrewcarr said:
What do you mean by bottom of the card? If you mean where it is connected to the motherboard then no you won't be able to see it. You will mostly only be able to see the top view of it so just a thin black strip that says sapphire but you might be able to see the sides with the fans and the back a bit too. I would get the better card over a slight difference in color when you won't even be able to see the font red color much at all anyways.


I have another question

Is it worth spending the extra 10$ on this card because its OC already? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

April 18, 2012 3:57:59 AM

No it isn't because the cards both have the same cooler (so same overclock potential). Only difference is that the one $10 more comes overclocked a bit stock it is 920MHz versus the 860Mhz of the other card. But this won't make a difference if you overclock it yourself anyways. It would be very simple to get the 860MHz card up to 920MHz and even higher.
April 18, 2012 4:22:59 AM

andrewcarr said:
No it isn't because the cards both have the same cooler (so same overclock potential). Only difference is that the one $10 more comes overclocked a bit stock it is 920MHz versus the 860Mhz of the other card. But this won't make a difference if you overclock it yourself anyways. It would be very simple to get the 860MHz card up to 920MHz and even higher.


thanks
+1 to this guy for the fast and great reply's!
April 18, 2012 11:48:26 PM

andrewcarr said:
Thank you

Hey im back with another question =]

this is what i got

1 x Arctic Silver AA-1.75G Thermal Compound

1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

1 x ASUS HD7850-DC2-2GD5 Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
1 x AMD Gift - Dirt3 Game Coupon - OEM

1 x Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32120

1 x BIOSTAR TZ77B LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

1 x XCLIO Nighthawk Color Black 0.6mm SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Do you know any good tuts on how to put a computer together?

April 19, 2012 1:58:06 AM

Follow the manuals. Really isn't much else to it.

Why did you buy Arctic Silver AA-1.75G? The Intel cooler come with thermal paste pre-applied.
April 19, 2012 3:17:44 AM

andrewcarr said:
Follow the manuals. Really isn't much else to it.

Why did you buy Arctic Silver AA-1.75G? The Intel cooler come with thermal paste pre-applied.


just wanted to be sure =] and i was looking for a video guide of some sort but i guess i can just do that thanks
!