Status
Not open for further replies.

-Sylvan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I just bought an ASUS GeForce GTX 590 and I'm not sure whether I am going to need to fit an aftermarket cooler or not.

Looking for a little help here ;)

I've never had any previous experience with fitting any kind of aftermarket cooler to a gpu, so...

- Thanks in advance.

Solution

Reviews have that card running 80 degrees under full load. Running cooler is always nice and will help with the longevity of the card but stock temps really shouldn't be too harmfull. As long as your case has decent airflow, which it does, and a couple of fans circulating the air there is no need to use aftermarket cooling. I would recommend using the side mount fan to blow air directly onto the gpu since that fan in the middle of the card acts like...

brianmz

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Which haf X do you have, and the fans installed as well as direction of the airflow?(Higher CFM fans can help cool your card better as well as how they are set up.
Without knowing that, all I can tell you is to set up a custom fan profile to keep it cooler, since the factory profile doesn't do such a good job IMO.
You can do that in EVGA Precision and MSI afterburner.

-Sylvan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

Coolermaster HAF -X, front intake, two top fans drawing air out of the case, and a back fan drawing air out.

They are all the stock fans.

The Noctua D14 cooling my i5 2500k is pushing hot air out the back of the case.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
+1 to Brianmz.

MSI Afterburner is an excellent program for setting up a fan profile.

I have dual 6970s, and here is the profile I have set...

30 °C = 20%
40 °C = 30%
50 °C = 40%
60 °C = 50%
70 °C = 60%
80 °C = 70%
90 °C = 80%

If a temperature is in between, it adjusts accordingly.

The hottest I ever saw my cards get was 72 °C, and the fan hit just over 60%.

I am not sure how your 590 will do, but I do know you have the nicest GPU on the market. So I suggest you do your research and take good care of it.

-Sylvan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

Yup, that's it.

I have a side fan, I just do not use it on account of it screws with my airflow.

You recommend I set it up?

-Sylvan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

Thanks, I've never even heard of fan profiles until now. I guess I should research that, since everything is probably still on default.
This will shave a few degrees off my overall temp?

A few people have suggested watercooling it, I am not experienced with watercooling at all.
I've never done it. :eek:

brianmz

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Yeah, the custom fan profile should decrease your temps.
You can adjust it to your needs or noise tolerance.

This is the fan profile I use:
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7691/fanzq.png

It's a bit aggressive, but I just don't like high temps.

You should get a temp monitor, like hwinfo or something and test how your temps change with the side fan on or off, also add the VGA fan(optional) if you haven't and try to get a high CFM fan for it 80-115cfm.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Yikes!

I hope you only have MSI Afterburner running when you're in game!

That is pretty extreme.

brianmz

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

Been leaving it like for about 2 weeks or so with SLI gtx 580 LEs.
I figure I'll replace the cards before the fans wear out xD, if not I expect the warranty to cover the fans, since it's among the main futures of these cards.

-Sylvan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Thanks guys.

One last question, the corsair tx 750, I can only see a bunch of 6 pin PCI Express power cables, will I have to buy a new power supply or just attach a 6+2 PCI Express cable onto another cable?

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

Reviews have that card running 80 degrees under full load. Running cooler is always nice and will help with the longevity of the card but stock temps really shouldn't be too harmfull. As long as your case has decent airflow, which it does, and a couple of fans circulating the air there is no need to use aftermarket cooling. I would recommend using the side mount fan to blow air directly onto the gpu since that fan in the middle of the card acts like a blower and pushes air out the rear of the case across one of the gpu's and across the other gpu into the case. If the air inside the case starts to increase in temp due to the one gpu that exhausts into the case, the affect could become cumulative(did i spell that right?) and start notching up the load temp of the card as a result. Just some food for thought:) My 6990 is pretty much the same design and runs 85 degrees under full load and I would not run it without the side mount fans blowing cool outside air directly onto the card.

Solution

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

I guess if I had a pair of 3GB 580's, fan noise wouldn't matter to me either when it came to keeping them puppies cool.

Awesome setup.

-Sylvan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

Great information, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS