Solved

Possible System Bottleneck?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Bottleneck
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
April 17, 2012 5:24:05 AM

I'm having trouble viewing some 1080p videos with softsubs and was wondering which part of my system would be the bottleneck.

Before you have a look at the specs, my system is pretty old (with minor upgrades over the years) so let me know if it would probably be best just to get a new budget system (though I would prefer to save the $$).

Specification:
Intel Core2Quad Q8200 @ 2.33Ghz
2x2GB of DDR2 800 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+
Nvidia GeForce 210 (secondary for extra monitor ports, I'm using 3 monitors)
Gigabyte P35-DS4 Mobo
Kingston SSD Now 100v 64GB with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit installed

I am a gamer (though I've been too busy to play for the last 6 months or so, but will start gaming again when I finish my thesis). Starcraft 2 on medium settings runs fine in 1v1 matches, on most custom maps I still lag pretty bad on the minimum settings. Will play dota2 and diablo 3 when they are released. Though since I'm not gaming at the moment, this isn't too much of an issue.

And if I should upgrade, would the release of Ivy Bridge likely lower the current Sandy Bridge cpu prices?

Thanks guys!

More about : system bottleneck

a b B Homebuilt system
April 17, 2012 5:50:44 AM

if you upgrade,you will notice a great difference.i assume that you have a good case,psu and storage.for $1k,you can get a 2500k and 7870 setup.
m
l

Best solution

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 17, 2012 6:10:22 AM

viewing 1080p media doesn't mean a problem with your hardware; could be outdated codecs and/or using window media player instead of something like VLC.
having problems with softsubs sounds like FFShow is flonky.

still that 9800GTX+ was great "back in the day" . . maybe look at a gtx 560ti and a coolermaster 212+ heatsink to overclock that quad for a little longer . that P35 chipset will overclock with love :) 
April 24, 2012 3:15:09 AM

Best answer selected by mickd.
m
l
!