Sign in with
Your question

MUTINY!! PSU killed my PC

Last response: in Components
July 30, 2012 6:03:08 AM

My 5-year-old VIP 500W PSU, which is actually a FSP BlueStorm AX500-A, finally kicked the bucket and took down with it my beloved MOBO and HDD. :pfff: 

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/5426/dsc02862al.jpg

• Prologue (One Year Ago):
    This PSU has killed my beloved 8800 GT and a HDD (a year ago).
    Well.. I didnt know.. and hardly cared to know the cause.

• 1st Unfortunate Event, Today 9:53am:
    Oh! Look. Someone turned off the main switch, again. This means my HDD might be in jeopardy... I've lost one before, but HECK! I'll give it a shot.. It's not like i know that it's the PSU that's the culprit.

*Switch on MAINS* BOOM! HDD fried.. "No Boot Disk, Please insert boot drive..."

MOTHAAAA..!! HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN!? I dint even press the Power Button!! :fou: 

• 2nd Unfortunate Event, Today 9:57 am:
    Oh! Mannn. I'll take out the dead HDD and send it for replacement. *Takes out HDD* *Plugs back MAINS*
    Lets turn the PC back 'ON.' Weeeee..! I wanna try booting Ubuntu from my USB Drive!!

*Switch On MAINS* (Still haven't touched the Power button like always)

Habbbabbatttchhhoobb-BAB!! Bye Bye MOBO...

Realisation in... 5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. TOO LATE!
    Kerraackkktchoooo-POP!
    Bye Bye PSU...

:o  ooooooohh

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU... :heink: 

>> So, I'm gonna make a new system soon.. I wanna understand why my PSU misbehaved (besides the obvious 5-years-old fact). And, what must I do to keep History from repeating itself? :D 

• More about : mutiny psu killed

July 30, 2012 7:05:39 AM

An old PSU finally kicking the bucket and taking the PC with it isn't very uncommon. As for why, there could be many reasons that it died. It could be from use (since it was 5 years old) or something could have shorted out. As for preventing it from happening again, there isn't much that can be done. One thing that can be done is always keep your PC connected to some form of power surge protection.
    July 30, 2012 7:29:27 AM

Same thing happened to me last year, took 2 HDDs and the MOBO with it, it was running for 6 years without a single night off.

Been wanting to build a new computer but I keep putting it off, don't think I got over it yet.

Can anyone point me to a PC loss therapy class?!
    Related resources
    a b ) Power supply
    July 30, 2012 7:34:59 AM

it the caps..over time they can leak/fail. at 5 years it a good thing to pull your power supply and look for swelling or leakage. if you think you have a cap...rma the ps if it still has one..if not buy a good ps..you can always move the ps to the next build so your not wasting money.
    a b ) Power supply
    July 30, 2012 8:20:43 AM

5 years is quite long in electronic age so i'm don't think that your PSU that bad...

(Lots of budget Psu that died in one year period)
    a b ) Power supply
    July 30, 2012 8:55:45 AM

Never buy those crap PSU. Its not worth it.. You could have bought a Really nice one for the cost of a MoBo and a HD.
    July 30, 2012 11:29:57 AM

Did you ever take it apart to hoover out etc? Did you ever ticker with it?
    July 30, 2012 5:28:28 PM

_Brute_Force_ said:
    Same thing happened to me last year, took 2 HDDs and the MOBO with it, it was running for 6 years without a single night off.

Been wanting to build a new computer but I keep putting it off, don't think I got over it yet.

Can anyone point me to a PC loss therapy class?!

Pc-loss Therapy?... Count me IN! ;) 
    July 30, 2012 5:33:06 PM

AxelTDH said:
    An old PSU finally kicking the bucket and taking the PC with it isn't very uncommon. As for why, there could be many reasons that it died. It could be from use (since it was 5 years old) or something could have shorted out. As for preventing it from happening again, there isn't much that can be done. One thing that can be done is always keep your PC connected to some form of power surge protection.

i did have a spikeguard, but looks like it never helped.. not once out of the 3 times the Short happened.

Yes, 3 times. I didnt take the effort of investigating and pinning the reason down on the PSU.. :ange: 
    !