I7 3770K vs i5 3570K

tuganu

Honorable
May 23, 2012
hey there toms hardware peeps,

Im going to build a pc in october-december hopefully and was wondering How much of a difference does hyperthreading actually make in rendering say the i5 was rendering a 10 hour video. how much faster would the i7 be?

CPU: Intel i7 3770K
GPU: Gigabyte HD 7970 Overclocked 3GB
HDD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black(will get SSD later very expensive in AUS)
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Hx-850
RAM/MEMORY: G.skill Ripjaws-X 1600Mhz (2x4GB)
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

tuganu

Honorable
May 23, 2012

yeah I get that but I want to do both. mostly gaming but would like to get video of me and friends on youtube how much faster rendering would I get with a 3770K?

Well i can give you a example video editing with Adobe Premiere Elements 8 shows a marked improvement with HT on e.g. encode a test clip of 1GB on a Core i7:

4.2GHz HT on = 312 seconds
4.2GHz HT off = 379 seconds

3.6GHz HT on = 369 seconds

However a lot depends on the software being able to use HT. If I encode the test clip with Premiere Elements 3 there's virtually no difference whether HT is on or off.

tuganu

Honorable
May 23, 2012

so you reccomend 3570K?

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
Get the i7 buddy, if you are building a new computer, may as well spend that extra 90 bucks for the i7. Since you are video editing, you will be putting the cpu to good use so it will be money well spent. Also in terms of gaming, the i5 and i7 will run identical if not better. An i7 is just a i5 with hyper threading enabled, if you do feel the hyperthreading is holding you back while gaming then just turn it off in the bios and turn it back on while you are video editing. Also you are basically spending 1000+ on a new rig, extra 90 wont hurt

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

It kinda sounds like you won't be doing much video editing. If you are only casually editing videos (like once or twice a month or so) I wouldn't think the extra power the i7 offers would really be necessary, it may save you a little time here and there over the i5, but if you aren't doing it all the time, it's likely you'll never really be bothered by the extra time it takes.

G

if you are professionally (meaning for pay) editing and rendering effects to video in software like adobe premiere then an i7 with 16 gigs of RAM is great.

but if you are encoding video taken off your iPhone with media espresso showing you and your friends drinking and ogling some hired stripper at a frat party to upload to you-tube then an i5 with 8 gigs of RAM is suffice.

InvalidError

Titan

If all you plan to do is video transcoding, any software that can use QuickSync on HD4000 Ivy Bridge CPUs will be faster than any other software or GPGPU option currently on the market.

I would get it, the 3770. HT helps even in basic tasks. If u encode HD video for 12 hrs, it helps.

16.jpg

Robi_g

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
dual xeons anyone?
But seriously just get the i7 if £90 isn't a great deal of money. If you're just doing casual video editing though then get the i5 and spend the savings on GPU and RAM or other niceties.