1. Are my old parts still good? I assume everything will fit just fine in my case, but am I pushing my PSU and HDD's towards the end of their lives yet? They are just over 5 years old now.
2. My gaming is very limited, maybe a couple of hours a week. I just like to play some single-player modi of new titles. I would like to be able to play Crysis 3 when it comes out for example. Ultra settings are not required, I want fluid gameplay on medium - high settings on 1920x1080. That goes for all games. Is the Radeon HD6870 sufficient? Is it overkill perhaps?
3. I stated I don't plan on overclocking because I always believed it was more for fun and bragging than actual day-to-day performance gain and it shortens the life of components. I don't upgrade often so durability is important. If it really does benefit to overclock how will that affect long term durability? I might be willing to go for the 2500K and aftermarket cooler if durability is not compromised.
4. It the motherboard more than I need if I stick with the 2400 and won't overclock? Is it good enough if I do go for overclocking with the 2500K? Same goes for the memory.
5. Any other input you might have!
1. I wouldn't reuse the PSU. The HDD's SHOULD be okay, you never know.
2. 6870 will be just right for 1080!
3. If you have sufficient cooling, and keep it under like 75, it won't degrade the life that much, it will to a certain extent, but by that time, you should have already upgraded.
4. The Mobo will overclock fine, take a look at ASUS and ASRock as well.
5. Don't get the OCZ Vertex. Get this! http://azerty.nl/0-1990-433238/crucial-m4-solid-state-d...
btw that list should be good, and buy a new psu look at seasonic 80plus gold or if your going bronze or silver go with corsair tx v2 and HX if it's out of your budget try out the cheap corsair cx500/600 psu.
well I don't know much about zalman psu but if it has great quality then it should be fine there. but since it's a 500W psu and from 5 years ago I'm not sure, try to stick in like 30-5o bucks more for a better quality psu
Thanks for the replies guys
I changed the SSD to the Crucial m4, was already looking for it but could only find a more expensive version for some reason.
Also added a PSU: http://azerty.nl/0-1073-386138/corsair-enthusiast-serie...
Since that will push my budget I will have to save up a little longer unfortunately.
Ok so basically I can just get the cheapest Z68 mobo I can find as long as it is from a good brand? And I dont need Z77?
What if I decide to get the 2500K and aim to overclock?
Since I'll have to save up a little longer I have some time to find out what HD6870 is the quietest. The comments on the XFX one on azerty.nl said it's quiet. Then again, they also said that about my current one and it is not quiet at all...