Pix on camera but SD shows folder empty

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 21, 2005 10:47:29 PM

I am trying to upload images from a Nikon Coolpix (on a SanDisk card) but
cannot upload onto PC, where I get the message that the the folders are
empty. (I have another card which uploads OK) I can view my pictures on the
camera OK.

I have lost my uc-e6 USB cable and before I buy another one I would
appreciate advice as to whether this would enable me to upload my pictures.

There is a document on the disk called BOOTEX, which conatins the following
(snipped) information::

Checking file system on F:
The type of the file system is FAT.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the
disk check, but it is strongly commended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.
\DCIM\100NIKON\DSCN0124.JPG Unrecognized extended attribute handle.
(all pics listed).
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

Many thanks in advance
S Reed
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 10:47:30 PM

What it's telling you is your card has some file system issues. I have
the exact same thing happen on my Nikon 990, I could view a picture on
the camera no problem, but putting the card into my usb CF reader it
wouldn't read it. What I ended up doing was downloading GetDataBack
(for FAT, they also have one for NTFS, but all memory cards are FAT),
it'll look through the entire card and find what it can, usually you
can get any pictures off it, then make sure you reformat the card after
that and hopefully it won't happen again.

The trial version of GetDataBack won't let you select files for restore
(IIRC), but you can view them, so if it's a jpeg file it find, you can
right-click and hit view then it'll open it in whatever your default
jpeg viewer is, then you can save it out of that, it's slow, but it
does work.

Good Luck!
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 5:40:24 AM

<fj40rockcrawler@gmail.com> wrote in message
> What it's telling you is your card has some file system issues. I have
> the exact same thing happen on my Nikon 990, I could view a picture on
> the camera no problem, but putting the card into my usb CF reader it
> wouldn't read it. What I ended up doing was downloading GetDataBack
> (for FAT, they also have one for NTFS, but all memory cards are FAT),
> it'll look through the entire card and find what it can, usually you
> can get any pictures off it, then make sure you reformat the card after
> that and hopefully it won't happen again.
>
> The trial version of GetDataBack won't let you select files for restore
> (IIRC), but you can view them, so if it's a jpeg file it find, you can
> right-click and hit view then it'll open it in whatever your default
> jpeg viewer is, then you can save it out of that, it's slow, but it
> does work.
>
> Good Luck!

Thanks a million - it worked!

Cheers