This is my first linux build.. would love to have some advice. I'm buying everything (in the box) new.
- do web/banking on local 17" monitor
- output video via HDMI to HDTV (need dual monitor support with different resolutions)
- sources of video are streamed from hulu, files on NAS, BD drive (prefer gigabit ethernet)
- very fast boot time (SSD, will probably use ubuntu since I am new to linux)
- small footprint (mini-itx, appliance-like case)
- quiet is best
Approximate Purchase Date: within a month
Budget Range: <$500
System Usage from Most to Least Important: covered above
Parts Not Required: speakers, keyboard, mouse, monitor
nice - thanks! I was wondering whether it was better to go with one of the AMD F1 mobo/cpu combos, but that might not be necessary. Will check out this hardware in more detail
Also need a bluray drive (no need for writing capability) but can probably just find a cheap one somewhere.
While speccing out this machine, I also considered using an FM1 system. However there was a very limited amount of miniITX motherboards that provided the connectivity I wanted (HDMI+DVI) so I decided to go Intel. Really any old system would work, this one just worked out to be the cheapest. If you're worried about CPU performance swapping to a slightly more powerful CPU like a G850 or i3-2120 would take care of that. If it's GPU performance, a 5450 and cheaper motherboard is also an option.