Sign in with
Your question

Should i buy gtx 590?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 9, 2012 12:01:13 PM

i'm thinking of buying this monstrous card. Is it reliable? I will be using it with no overclocking at all, should that guarantee that it will last long and work find without problems? By the way, about this microstuttering thing, does gtx 590 have that?

More about : buy gtx 590

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 12:12:53 PM

new nvidia card are around the corner
m
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
February 9, 2012 12:15:54 PM

gtx 590 is good for an high end single card but i would say to wait for an kepler and get newer tech card.:) 
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 12:18:31 PM

Yea the GTX680 is going to be the next card with same specs at GTX590 except for a cheaper possible price. as well as it won't be a Dual GPU card.the GTX 690. is going to be like two GTX590's put together.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-Kepler-GPU-GeFo...

I would wait, if the price is right and the specs are true......Well lets just say itl be kick @$$
m
l
February 9, 2012 12:30:04 PM

hey, do you guys have any idea when it will come out? all i could dig up was Q1, which is still over a month and a half to go...

BTW sorry if my english sucks, it's not my native language
m
l
February 9, 2012 12:49:06 PM

So many rumors out there. Nvidia has released no detail.

However if the leaked specs and other conjecture is to be listened to, the gtx690 is slated for Q3 of this year with a reported price tag of $999.

If you need/want a card now I would go with the 7970 and OC it. The OC headroom on these cards it pretty sweet.
m
l
February 9, 2012 1:37:14 PM

alvine said:
new nvidia card are around the corner

where though ??

m
l
February 9, 2012 1:49:27 PM

My GTX 590 is excellent, no micro-stuttering issues.

Rumour has it, micro-stuttering is more common with AMD cards in Crossfire
m
l
February 9, 2012 3:18:37 PM

jk47 said:
My GTX 590 is excellent, no micro-stuttering issues.

Rumour has it, micro-stuttering is more common with AMD cards in Crossfire

wow, an actual gtx 590 user awesome. Say, if i don't overclock, does it need a lot of maintenance? I game 12+ hours everyday without turning it off, will it be bad for the card? Besides how "tough" is it since i've never used multi core gpu before.
m
l
February 10, 2012 10:42:46 PM

I think it would meet your needs. It runs everything at max settings for me with high FPS - works well for 3D gaming too. I'm very happy with it, as I got the right amount of power I want, without having to deal with two physical cards crammed into my mid-tower case.

Can't speak for other makes, but my EVGA GTX 590 has a lifetime warranty (as long as you register it after purchase)

For your purposes, a lifetime warranty would be quite useful incase it burns out after a few years from heavy usage.
m
l
February 11, 2012 4:18:44 AM

jk47 said:
I think it would meet your needs. It runs everything at max settings for me with high FPS - works well for 3D gaming too. I'm very happy with it, as I got the right amount of power I want, without having to deal with two physical cards crammed into my mid-tower case.

Can't speak for other makes, but my EVGA GTX 590 has a lifetime warranty (as long as you register it after purchase)

For your purposes, a lifetime warranty would be quite useful incase it burns out after a few years from heavy usage.

i've researched online and gtx 590 seems to get really low fps on batman arkham city (as low as 14):

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-benc...

and about 40(even lower than one gtx 580) in skyrim:

Does your card do the same? If so, from past experiences with games that don't support dual gpu, was nvidia able to issue a driver that fixes theproblem?

thanks a heap bro
m
l
March 6, 2012 2:27:30 PM

EVGA GTX 590 Hydro classified ; good card, runs 2560x1600 with games like skyrim no issues.

It doesn't seem to be possible to buy one from EVGA nowadays.

If you dont plan to OC, -- great, if you do, depending on your luck you will need to raise voltage (nvflash etc.) Lifetime warranty from EVGA is a good thing.

A point of advice, there is good synergy between x79 chipset, Sandy Bridge and this card. I have had GPU performance issues with minimal CPU load on i7 920, as I moved to x79 chipset with 3830 CPU all went away.

Also Skyrim specifically is a very poorly written app. The new drivers offer some 40% boost to performance in total.

In regard to FPS.
2560x1600 (30' single display) with all options turned up, shadow quality at 4000 the game run very smooth, roughly at 45 or so FPS (depends on the surroundings)
m
l
March 6, 2012 4:19:43 PM

tetra88 said:
i've researched online and gtx 590 seems to get really low fps on batman arkham city (as low as 14):

and about 40(even lower than one gtx 580) in skyrim:

Does your card do the same? If so, from past experiences with games that don't support dual gpu, was nvidia able to issue a driver that fixes theproblem?

thanks a heap bro

Happy to help.

I actually played through all of Arkham City. I can't speak for what those benchmarks show, but it was perfectly smooth for me. I played in 1920 X 1080, at all max settings. From what I recall, FPS remained above 60 a lot of the time. (I use FRAPS) Anyways it worked fine for that game.

As for your point, "..from past experiences with games that don't support dual gpu, was nvidia able to issue a driver that fixes theproblem?"
- Let me say, regarding this issue - Nvidia is the only way to go. I would never buy the 6990, for the reason that AMD is poor at updating drivers and CF profiles. Whereas with Nvidia, I find constant driver updates - often adding SLI profiles to games before they are even released. Most recently, a week ago I saw new Nvidia drivers giving performance boosts to Mass Effect 3 & Diablo 3
m
l
!