Intel Can't compete in dual socket gaming

Julian33

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
That might be true now, but by the time K8L is out I imagine there will be some chipset out there to support SLI. Hypothetically by this point AMD could keep the lead in that it would have an enthusiast platform with 8 cores available to Intel's 4, but in reality this will be overkill as few apps will take advantage of so many cores, and I certainly cant see gaming using 8 cores for a while yet.

The only way AMD is going to retake the performance lead in any segment now is if it can deliver substantial architectural improvements with Barcelona/Altair

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
http://www.theinq.com/default.aspx?article=35047

AMD's 4x4 with Quad-core K8L's will have no peer

why

well INTEL has no dual socket SLI or crossfire chipsets

So for the uber high end AMD will remain king for sometime

dual socket gaming

I find this funny for a few reasons. We have yet to have games take full advantage of 2 cores, we're moving to 4 cores and you claim that AMD having a Dual Socket Desktop platform (4x4) will place them at the top of the performance segment when it comes to games?

Are you on drugs? Be honest.. if so I'd like to know what you're smoking. Grant you I do believe 4x4+ (K8L) will have it's place, as the premier Video encoding platform, but I highly doubt it will be the king in gaming performance.

If Intel clock their next gen Quad Core CPU's based on the 45nm to around 3.73GHz expect them to wipe the floor performance wise unless AMD can clock their K8L in the 3.4-3.5GHz range.

Here's a question, are all of you the same shill posting under different names?

Bazukaz

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Well ,
There is no dual socket SLI mainboard for intel CPUs , but AMD has no quad core CPUs either. It is difficult to speculate about K8L's performance , when it is not available yet.

why

*YAWN*

WHO THE FUCK CARES?

Initially K8L will be expensive. Far too expensive for the average gamer to afford. If you got a wad of cash and a small dick, then fine go for it. It won't make up for your lack of manhood.

There's more to life than just fucking games.

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
please die. i don't have to say anymore than that. i'll also wait for the mod's warning but it was worth it.

are you threatening me? I don't think this forum is the place for terroistic threats.

i have an 9 month old daughter i am raising ...you want her father dead for what?

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
you think SLI is for gaming only

did u read the article i linked.

or did you just see AMD better than INTEL and attacked?

I saw your thread title. Are you trying to tell me your thread title is mis-leading?

Intel Can't compete in dual socket gaming

Also as for SLI, Intel have an nVIDIA chipset on the way that supports SLI (there are some right now that do they're just not uber good overclockers).

So your thread states Dual Socket Gaming... which don't go together. Therefore my previous post stands as it is.
Either:
A. your thread title is misleading
B. you believe that two Quad Core CPU's will make a difference in gaming by 2H2007.

Pick one.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
please die. i don't have to say anymore than that. i'll also wait for the mod's warning but it was worth it.

are you threatening me? I don't this forum is the place for terroistic threats

i have an 9 month old daughter i am raising ...you want her father dead for what?

Never heard of a "terroistic" threat... what is that exactly?

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Nobody needs dual core for gaming. STFU AMD Fanboi.

Go read the specs for the coming game ALAN WAKE then come back and apologize

Yes.. we have..

Alan Wake was demonstrated at the Intel Developer Forum in September 2006, running on an Intel Core 2 Quad processor clocked at 3.73GHz. The demonstration took the form of a tech demo, showcasing engine features such as day/night cycle, volumetric light, weather and physics. It was revealed that the game engine is multi-threaded and able to make full use of all four cores, with separate threads for physics, graphics & sound processing and seamless streaming of world data. It is therefore likely that the Xbox 360 version will also be able to take advantage of the Xenon CPU's three cores which have a total of 6 threads.
The game looked, frankly, stunning. Remedy has coded the engine to take advantage of quad-core processors - the engine scales as you move from single to dual to quad. We saw some amazing environmental effects, not to mention true next-gen graphics that easily rival anything from Unreal Engine.

Markus Maki, Remedy's rep at the forum, said that Alan Wake had been 18 months in the making so far. The multiple cores are used to stream data in the background in preparation for moves into new areas, and to prepare output for the graphics card to render.

Markus also revealed that one whole core is used for physics calculations, and we saw a hurricane tear up the in-game world in a rather realistic fashion as illustration.
Article Here!

Can only take advantage of 4 Cores on the PC.. no more. Currently being tested and built to run specifically on Intel Core 2 Quad processors.

What again is your reasoning behind an 8 Core Gaming Machine?

G

I have an 9 month old daughter i am raising ...you want her father dead for what?

OMG! can't imagine what it's gonna be like when she hit's these forum in a few years.

I'm sure she already know how EVIL intel is, oh and does she wear green all the time...SOOOO many questions!

that's the worst thread title ever especially with the come back comment you made to Elmo.

Finnaly havent you heard about nVidia wanting to get in bed with Intel, guess that could mean SLI for everybody, dont you think!!???

troll

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Go read the specs for the coming game ALAN WAKE then come back and apologize

Yes.. we have..

Alan Wake was demonstrated at the Intel Developer Forum in September 2006, running on an Intel Core 2 Quad processor clocked at 3.73GHz. The demonstration took the form of a tech demo, showcasing engine features such as day/night cycle, volumetric light, weather and physics. It was revealed that the game engine is multi-threaded and able to make full use of all four cores, with separate threads for physics, graphics & sound processing and seamless streaming of world data. It is therefore likely that the Xbox 360 version will also be able to take advantage of the Xenon CPU's three cores which have a total of 6 threads.

Can only take advantage of 4 Cores on the PC.. no more. Currently being tested and built to run specifically on Intel Core 2 Quad processors.

What again is your reasoning behind an 8 Core Gaming Machine?

The idea of 8 cores is to give the ability to run more in the background. And in the foreground for that matter. Only psychotic power users will find it handy but that's who it targets.

Imagine you are a home business that needs power but you can't afford separate machines. You can buy one of these and create VMs that other employees can use or have VMs as servers or mail servers.
Or you can have one VM where you create your content (say WebPages) and one where you test them.

The possibilties are as limitless as they are with a server paltform with out the server bells and whistles.

I expect mobos to show up in the next few weeks from Tyan and maybe ASUS or SuperMicro. That wil give a clue as to whether I will be buying two cheap Opterons or two FX70.

The same base mobo can be extended for market segments. Certain highend systems will get SCSI320 and PCI-X with onboard video and 1 PCI-e x16 slot and as you go down you add more enthusiast features and less server features.

I would HOPE that entry level boards aren't much higher than $200 since I just want one 7950GT and will probably never get SLI. I can handle good 8 ch onboard sound with a single NIC (two is usually the norm) and 4 SATA ports with or without RAID.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Yes, More cores will probably be better for gaming, but it will be a while before we see it, and there will definitly not be anything threaded for 8 cores... anytime soon (nothing in 07/08... maybe 09)

First off, how many people will buy a dual socket mobo? Probably the same amount of people on Fortune's 100 richest people list.

Second, why make games so highly threaded when the vast majority of people still run single cores, only being phased to dual cores now... companies aren't dumb

Third, notice exactly what its threading on the CPU... Graphics/Physics/Sound... well, lemme introduce you to my friends DX10 graphics card, Ageia PhysX or another graphics card, and my good ol X-FI card... oh look, there goes 3 threads already. Last one is world data, maybe even AI, but I hear tell of an AI chip in the near future...

Actually, looking at all this, gaming computers will be ridiculous...

Quad-SLI with another 7950GX2 as a physics SLI card with an additional AI card... BEAST

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Please stop and think for a moment. You have repeatedly demonstrated your impulsive and combative nature, lack of analytical skills, blatant bias and overall lack of desire to make a positive contribution beyond starting another pointless argument. Not only is the information you post vague and inconclusive, you deliberately twist and misinterpret it to show what you want to see. As a result, your credibility has suffered. Should you choose to one day actually post useful information, it will be derided as before, simply because your reputation is one of a FUD-spouting moron. Of course this is a problem Intel may want to address, yet to state that as a result Intel will lose all competitive edge is pure stupidity. Speculation is welcomed by most members, wild guesses and deliberately inflammatory comments are not.

why

Wondering if you and I read the same article, we certainly have different interpretations of the info.

You are presuming that AMD quad cores will have no peer based on having an IMC and scalability, but what happens when chipsets are released that enable dual/quad FSB for Intel and/or support SLI?

It would be an easy transition for nVidia to make a dual/quad FSB and SLI enabled chipset for Intel, you only have to look at the nVidia Pro 2200 & 2050 chipset for Opterons or even the nVidia 590SLI chipset to see there is, basically, already a model in place...just a little tweaking for nVidia to support dual/quad FSB...it would be one he[[ of a mobo, but just a little tweaking on nVidia's part to make it happen...

ivan_lee05

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
HAHAHAHAHA....

can you prove it? your K8L are still on their wafer-cassette.. waiting to be processed..

mean while. here's a 3.73Ghz intel kentsfield core @ future multi-threaded games..IDF

watch the movie stupid fanboy....

G

Personally the problem I see with these setup is HD's, these thing are GOD DAMN SLOOOWWWW.

8 Vms are sweet and as you say endless posibilities, but i see the HD running host OS as a big fat bottleneck!

You'd probably need 8 hd in 0+1 to run your Oses + storage. Gues that with the amount of money you can spend on HD but it will remain the main bottleneck imo

MarcusL

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

why

lol....

BTW, AMD can't compete in that arena either because their hardware is not available (not 4x4 nor quadcores)..... And will remain that way for some time...

This just in...

"AMD can't compete in Dual-Die Quad-Core gaming"

Holy crap batman... Let's just invent any irrelevant market segment we want so we can claim to be the leader.

SciPunk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005

Not at this very moment, but multi core will be HEAVILY used in the future. Hopefully in the near future. They're talking about using indipendent threads to do specialized funcitons that would have been allocated to (say) a physics card.

Crazy weather effects and the like will be laid down in threads that will be gobbled up by mulit core processors... or qued up and waiting for the attention in a single core scenario.

TRENDING THREADS