Problems with Toshiba HDTV and XBox

I have a 36" Toshiba Cinema Series HDTV (model #CN36X81) hooked up to
the XBox console. It is a picture tube style TV - not a rear projection
or LCD/plasma style. I purchased the High-Def upgrade pack so that I
have component video connections to the Toshiba and 5.1 surround into my
Denon receiver.

I have been having problems playing regular games (non-HDTV format) on
the Toshiba. During the game, the screen flickers bright pink or purple
and then turns black. The game is still running because I can hear the
sound through the receiver. In order to reset the TV, I need to power
off, unplug all of the component inputs (I have one set for HD
satellite, and share one set of inputs between a DVD player and XBox) ,
plug in the satellite and DVD, power up the satellite and DVD to get a
working HD picture, after which the TV resets so that you can view the
other inputs (Cable, Video 1, Video 2 and Video 3).

I also tried to run the non-HD games (Voodoo Vince, Mech-Assault 2,
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory) using the standard XBox setup into the
composite inputs (ie red, white and yellow inputs) into Video 1 or Video
2 on the Toshiba and unplug the component inputs from the XBox which
aren't being used. Same problem - the TV flashed purple about 10 minutes
into playing the game and I had to go through the entire "reset"
procedure.

I then tried plugging in the satellite and DVD into the component
inputs, having both on and running during gameplay, and play XBox
through composite Video 2 inputs. This worked better with only one black
screen over a two hour period. To reset the TV, I was able to simply
turn the TV off and on again.

Playing Halo 2 using the HD upgrade pack and component inputs doesn't
seem to cause any problems.

Has anyone had similar problems??? It sounds to me like a hardware
problem within the Toshiba.

It can also depend on what the input supports. Some will only support 480p
while others will do 480p/720p/1080i. You need to also make sure of which
modes the game you are using supports. You can find out more at
http://www.hdtvarcade.com

"Victronox" <nowhere@mail.com> wrote in message
>I have a 36" Toshiba Cinema Series HDTV (model #CN36X81) hooked up to
> the XBox console. It is a picture tube style TV - not a rear projection
> or LCD/plasma style. I purchased the High-Def upgrade pack so that I
> have component video connections to the Toshiba and 5.1 surround into my
> Denon receiver.
>
> I have been having problems playing regular games (non-HDTV format) on
> the Toshiba. During the game, the screen flickers bright pink or purple
> and then turns black. The game is still running because I can hear the
> sound through the receiver. In order to reset the TV, I need to power
> off, unplug all of the component inputs (I have one set for HD
> satellite, and share one set of inputs between a DVD player and XBox) ,
> plug in the satellite and DVD, power up the satellite and DVD to get a
> working HD picture, after which the TV resets so that you can view the
> other inputs (Cable, Video 1, Video 2 and Video 3).
>
> I also tried to run the non-HD games (Voodoo Vince, Mech-Assault 2,
> Splinter Cell Chaos Theory) using the standard XBox setup into the
> composite inputs (ie red, white and yellow inputs) into Video 1 or Video
> 2 on the Toshiba and unplug the component inputs from the XBox which
> aren't being used. Same problem - the TV flashed purple about 10 minutes
> into playing the game and I had to go through the entire "reset"
> procedure.
>
> I then tried plugging in the satellite and DVD into the component
> inputs, having both on and running during gameplay, and play XBox
> through composite Video 2 inputs. This worked better with only one black
> screen over a two hour period. To reset the TV, I was able to simply
> turn the TV off and on again.
>
> Playing Halo 2 using the HD upgrade pack and component inputs doesn't
> seem to cause any problems.
>
> Has anyone had similar problems??? It sounds to me like a hardware
> problem within the Toshiba.

jlc

"Ollie T" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> It can also depend on what the input supports. Some will only support
> 480p while others will do 480p/720p/1080i. You need to also make sure of
> which modes the game you are using supports. You can find out more at
> http://www.hdtvarcade.com

What the OP is describing sounds like it has nothing to do with his Xbox or
the games he's playing. I have an HD TV and if the game is having a problem
it won't play. Fable is the only game that I have that has problems. I have
to set my dashboard to 480p before I run the game. You do this but holding
in both triggers and clicking both sticks at the same time. What the OP
describes sounds to me like his TV is really messed up. I can't imagine
having to go through all of that just to play a game for a few min.!
To the OP have you checked your TV's manual to make sure you have everything
set up right. Maybe you are plugging some of the wires in wrong or
something. I also have a lot of stuff plugged into my Sony, but I never have
had the problem you describe. How long have you had your TV? It sure sounds
like it's defective.
JLC

"JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in

> "Ollie T" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> It can also depend on what the input supports. Some will only
>> support 480p while others will do 480p/720p/1080i. You need to also
>> make sure of which modes the game you are using supports. You can
>> find out more at http://www.hdtvarcade.com
>
> What the OP is describing sounds like it has nothing to do with his
> Xbox or the games he's playing. I have an HD TV and if the game is
> having a problem it won't play. Fable is the only game that I have
> that has problems. I have to set my dashboard to 480p before I run the
> game. You do this but holding in both triggers and clicking both
> sticks at the same time. What the OP describes sounds to me like his
> TV is really messed up. I can't imagine having to go through all of
> that just to play a game for a few min.! To the OP have you checked
> your TV's manual to make sure you have everything set up right. Maybe
> you are plugging some of the wires in wrong or something. I also have
> a lot of stuff plugged into my Sony, but I never have had the problem
> you describe. How long have you had your TV? It sure sounds like it's
> defective. JLC

Thanks to the two replies. I spent a couple of hours browsing through
the forums on hdtvarcade.com and found out how to set the dashboard to
480p (pressing both triggers and clicking both thumbsticks). This solved
the immediate problem of a black screen while running the HD component
inputs and the XBox.

In all of my searches, I have not found anyone who has experienced
similar issues. Therefore, I have to believe that it is indeed my TV
which is the source of the problems I am experiencing, as suggested by
JLC. What I failed to mention in my original post was that my TV has
been in the repair shop a couple of times. It's a long story, but a
number of internal chips had to be replaced not once but twice! I
actually had the head of service for Western Canada visit my house to
inspect the TV and head-up the repair. Obviously some problems are left
over from the repair.

Anyway, setting the dashboard to 480p seems to have improved the
situation, at least temporarily. My Toshiba can only handle 480p and
1080i - I confirmed this in the manual and online. I guess I will start
saving for that 50" Plasma!!

Thanks again for the replies.....

PS: www.hdtvarcade.com is a great resource for HD gaming, TV setups, etc.

TRENDING THREADS