Single rail power supply and 560ti 448 core

JackBauer_lol

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Hello

My new MSI 560ti 448 will arrive shortly and I bought a new psu to go with it, CM Silent Pro M 700W. It's a single-rail design which I've never used before. With my old power supply and gpu, I was told to use a MOLEX-to-PCIE adapter to get the required current as I only had 16A per rail. With new power supply, I don't think this would be an necessary but I'd rather make sure beforehand.

Will I still have to use the MOLEX adapter or due to the single rail design will I be able to just use a single PCI-E cable with two 6-pin connectors on the end to supply the necessary current?

Thanks

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
yes plug it in.
the single rail will give you more amprage. Sorry though CM is not a good psu
remember the is what give your pc it power. You should be buying
Enermax or Seasonic Power Supplies.

Any modern 700w psu including yours, will have sufficient pcie 6 or 6/8 pin connectors, so the molex adapters are not necessary.

Most psu's are all really a single rail design. The division into multiple 12v rails is really only an accomodation to UL to limit the amount of current for safety reasons.

If your card has more than 1 PCI/E connector, then you need to supply power to BOTH of them. The reason that it has two connectors is that it requires more current than a single connector can safely supply.

Also the others who answered you are correct in that a modern 700W PSU would have enough PCI/E power connectors for any single video card, regardless of whether it was a single or multiple rail design.