Sign in with
Your question

Single rail power supply and 560ti 448 core

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 9, 2012 1:53:05 PM

Hello

My new MSI 560ti 448 will arrive shortly and I bought a new psu to go with it, CM Silent Pro M 700W. It's a single-rail design which I've never used before. With my old power supply and gpu, I was told to use a MOLEX-to-PCIE adapter to get the required current as I only had 16A per rail. With new power supply, I don't think this would be an necessary but I'd rather make sure beforehand.

Will I still have to use the MOLEX adapter or due to the single rail design will I be able to just use a single PCI-E cable with two 6-pin connectors on the end to supply the necessary current?

Thanks
a b Î Nvidia
a c 243 ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 2:00:05 PM

Use the power supplies native cables and you'll be fine
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 2:00:27 PM

Your New Power Supply will have the necessary PCI Express cables built into it. Your all set for your GPU. Have Fun!
Related resources
February 9, 2012 2:00:35 PM

yes plug it in.
the single rail will give you more amprage. Sorry though CM is not a good psu
remember the is what give your pc it power. You should be buying
Enermax or Seasonic Power Supplies.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 83 ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 2:01:31 PM

Just use the PCIe cables that came with the unit. I wouldn't use any adapters.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 137 ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 2:02:52 PM

JackBauer_lol said:
Hello

My new MSI 560ti 448 will arrive shortly and I bought a new psu to go with it, CM Silent Pro M 700W. It's a single-rail design which I've never used before. With my old power supply and gpu, I was told to use a MOLEX-to-PCIE adapter to get the required current as I only had 16A per rail. With new power supply, I don't think this would be an necessary but I'd rather make sure beforehand.

Will I still have to use the MOLEX adapter or due to the single rail design will I be able to just use a single PCI-E cable with two 6-pin connectors on the end to supply the necessary current?

Thanks

Any modern 700w psu including yours, will have sufficient pcie 6 or 6/8 pin connectors, so the molex adapters are not necessary.

Most psu's are all really a single rail design. The division into multiple 12v rails is really only an accomodation to UL to limit the amount of current for safety reasons.
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 2:11:26 PM

If your card has more than 1 PCI/E connector, then you need to supply power to BOTH of them. The reason that it has two connectors is that it requires more current than a single connector can safely supply.

Also the others who answered you are correct in that a modern 700W PSU would have enough PCI/E power connectors for any single video card, regardless of whether it was a single or multiple rail design.
!