How dumb would it be to not have backward compatibility

Coonsidering the success Sony had with PS2 and its backward compatibility,
how dumb it seems for MS to select technology providers such that B.C. is
too expensive to include in X360.

PS2 launched with a gazillion "compatible" games in its library. So folks
could by a PS2 early, then wait for true PS2 games to trickle out while
still enjoying their existing library. It also seemed "fair" of Sony, for
what that was worth.

If X360 lack BC, that will really hurt it in the marketspace, IMO.
24 answers Last reply
More about dumb backward compatibility

    freak wrote:
    > Coonsidering the success Sony had with PS2 and its backward
    > compatibility, how dumb it seems for MS to select technology
    > providers such that B.C. is too expensive to include in X360.
    >
    > PS2 launched with a gazillion "compatible" games in its library. So
    > folks could by a PS2 early, then wait for true PS2 games to trickle
    > out while still enjoying their existing library. It also seemed
    > "fair" of Sony, for what that was worth.
    >
    > If X360 lack BC, that will really hurt it in the marketspace, IMO.

    With all the specs released recently and the videos, etc., I would have
    thought they would have mentined if it were to be bacwards compatible or
    not. Their silence on this matter makes me beleive it will not be backwards
    compatible.

    who truly plays old games .. I submit that folks bitch and moan about BC ...
    but their actual game play style is to get the latest, greatest games out
    ..... look at all of the resale games at EB ... gamestop ... etc

    VC

    The_Rock wrote:
    > who truly plays old games .. I submit that folks bitch and moan about
    > BC ... but their actual game play style is to get the latest,
    > greatest games out .... look at all of the resale games at EB ...
    > gamestop ... etc

    Its not a case of playing old games. There will inevitably be games which
    are released on the xbox but not on xbox360. Some people just do not have
    the space for 2 consoles and would prefer one console to do the job.

    * Beck Wrote in alt.games.video.xbox:

    > freak wrote:
    >> Coonsidering the success Sony had with PS2 and its backward
    >> compatibility, how dumb it seems for MS to select technology
    >> providers such that B.C. is too expensive to include in X360.
    >>
    >> PS2 launched with a gazillion "compatible" games in its library.
    >> So folks could by a PS2 early, then wait for true PS2 games to
    >> trickle out while still enjoying their existing library. It also
    >> seemed "fair" of Sony, for what that was worth.
    >>
    >> If X360 lack BC, that will really hurt it in the marketspace,
    >> IMO.
    >
    > With all the specs released recently and the videos, etc., I would
    > have thought they would have mentined if it were to be bacwards
    > compatible or not. Their silence on this matter makes me beleive
    > it will not be backwards compatible.

    Interesting article on the subject:

    http://blogs.siliconvalley.com/gmsv/2005/05/what_do_you_mea.html

    --
    David

    In article <BfUhe.37557$yq3.16808@bignews1.bellsouth.net>, freak@me.com
    says...
    > Coonsidering the success

    racist prick.

    "Fish! - of Arcadia." <tastyfish@fugu.com> wrote in message
    > In article <BfUhe.37557$yq3.16808@bignews1.bellsouth.net>, freak@me.com
    > says...
    >> Coonsidering the success
    >
    > racist prick.
    accentdently pressing the o key one too many times does not make a person
    racist.
    Troll

    SyVyN11 wrote:
    > "Fish! - of Arcadia." <tastyfish@fugu.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <BfUhe.37557$yq3.16808@bignews1.bellsouth.net>, freak@me.com
    >>says...
    >>
    >>>Coonsidering the success
    >>
    >>racist prick.
    >
    > accentdently pressing the o key one too many times does not make a person
    > racist.
    > Troll

    Umm, no, that's not trolling. That's making a joke. Get a sense of humor.

    Later,
    Richard

    SINNER wrote:

    > Interesting article on the subject:
    >
    > http://blogs.siliconvalley.com/gmsv/2005/05/what_do_you_mea.html

    $10-15 million per game? Well that will certainly kill off the smaller
    developers (predicted in an article by BBC news several months ago)

    I never liked Peter Moore. I remember reading a an article from Official
    Dreamcast Magazine in which he was claiming the DC doing well,not going be
    cancelled and in fact 100 games were still coming.
    The fact this bozo's lips were moving proved he was lying.

    freak <freak@me.com> wrote:
    >Coonsidering the success Sony had with PS2 and its backward compatibility,
    >how dumb it seems for MS to select technology providers such that B.C. is
    >too expensive to include in X360.

    I'd say it'd only be a minor misstep if they're going to continue
    making the XBox 1. If they aren't, as rumors indicate, then they really
    need backwards compatibility to keep people willing to buy XBox 1 games,
    IMO.

    >PS2 launched with a gazillion "compatible" games in its library. So folks
    >could by a PS2 early, then wait for true PS2 games to trickle out while
    >still enjoying their existing library. It also seemed "fair" of Sony, for
    >what that was worth.

    I think backwards compatibility is rarely used, but widely valued.
    In other words, a lot of people place a lot higher value on it than what
    it's really worth to them.

    --

    When crimes are outlawed, only criminals will commit crimes.

    "Andrew Ryan Chang" <archang@sfu.ca> wrote in message

    > I think backwards compatibility is rarely used, but widely valued.
    > In other words, a lot of people place a lot higher value on it than what
    > it's really worth to them.

    Backwards compatibility is definitely important in the short term, at least
    the first 12 to 18 months. A lot of people have a fair bit of money
    invested in their games collection and while they will eventually become
    bored of their old games and stop playing them, it's usually asking a lot
    for someone to suddenly give up a gaming library. I remember back in 1991
    when I finally moved from my Atari 8-bit computer to a PC, specifically a
    386SX-16. In making the switch over to a whole new platform like that, I
    suddenly found myself going from having a lot of games for my old Atari to
    having none at all for my then-new PC. As such, I kept my Atari hanging
    around for the first while because that's where all of my games were. Of
    course, nothing said I had to give up my Atari right away because I got a
    PC, but it's nice from a space standpoint having one platform running rather
    than two. Which leads me to my next point...

    For a lot of folks, it's no problem having more than one console hanging
    around, but it's admittedly nice to have one unit that can play your old
    games and take advantage of the new platform. As much as I hate Sony as a
    company, I do give them credit for ensuring that Playstation 1 games worked
    in the Playstation 2. Given that claims have been made about the Xbox 360
    having the power of 14 original Xbox's, I have to wonder if emulation of
    some sort would be the way backwards compatibility would work. However, the
    fact that Microsoft has not spilled the beans about backwards compatibility
    suggests to me that they are having a lot of trouble doing it, or they are
    trying to gloss things over because it won't happen at all. I don't think
    they wanted anything really negative to be mentioned about the Xbox 360 when
    they revealed what it looks like.

    There are two groups of gamers:

    Group 1 - Like Xbox games, own an Xbox.
    Group 2 - Were never impressed by Xbox games, don't own an Xbox.

    Group 1 doesn't need backwards compatability because they already have
    a perfectly good Xbox.

    Group 2 doesn't need backwards compatability because, to date, they
    haven't been interested in Xbox games.

    - Jordan

    good point ....

    The_Rock

    > The_Rock wrote:
    > > who truly plays old games .. I submit that folks bitch and moan about
    > > BC ... but their actual game play style is to get the latest,
    > > greatest games out .... look at all of the resale games at EB ...
    > > gamestop ... etc
    >
    > Its not a case of playing old games. There will inevitably be games which
    > are released on the xbox but not on xbox360. Some people just do not have
    > the space for 2 consoles and would prefer one console to do the job.

    I made this point as well ... folks say they have to have it ... but most
    gamers are always moving forward buying new .. latest, greatest games ...

    The_Rock

    > I think backwards compatibility is rarely used, but widely valued.
    > In other words, a lot of people place a lot higher value on it than what
    > it's really worth to them.
    >
    > --
    >
    > When crimes are outlawed, only criminals will commit crimes.

    The gaming library is starting to be scarce .... at one point when you
    finished a game .. you kept it in your gaming library (likely playing on
    rare occasion) because this was your only option ....

    Today, game retailers are willing to buy games back ... and boy to people
    finish a game and sell it back to the retailer to buy the next latest,
    greatest ....

    The_Rock

    freak wrote:

    > If X360 lack BC, that will really hurt it in the marketspace, IMO.

    Agreed. And I expect MS to be that stupid, too. Such a shame. :(

    The_Rock <sweetvee1@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > who truly plays old games .. I submit that folks bitch and moan about BC ...
    > but their actual game play style is to get the latest, greatest games out
    > .... look at all of the resale games at EB ... gamestop ... etc

    Backwards compatibility is a great asset at the begining of a console's
    life. Since there aren't going to be many new games for the 360 at
    launch, having BC would allow people who skipped XBox access to that
    library, while allowing them to be ready for the newer games for 360 as
    they are released.

    Remember the PS2's library? It was pretty mediocre with only 1 or 2 real
    stand-out games for the first year or so of its life. But since it was
    backwards compatible with PS1 games, there wasn't a shortage of good
    titles for the cosole.

    Considering the sales numbers, there's plenty of people who skipped the
    XBox altogether. A backwards compatible Xbox360 might be enough to lure
    some new folks over - something Microsoft desparately needs to do if they
    want to have a snowball's chance in hell of dethroning Microsoft.

    "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > There are two groups of gamers:
    >
    > Group 1 - Like Xbox games, own an Xbox.
    > Group 2 - Were never impressed by Xbox games, don't own an Xbox.
    >
    > Group 1 doesn't need backwards compatability because they already have
    > a perfectly good Xbox.
    >
    > Group 2 doesn't need backwards compatability because, to date, they
    > haven't been interested in Xbox games.

    I think if it's possible for MS to have backwards compatability they should.
    Especially since they are breaking the usual/common 5 year between launches
    of new consoles. It will help ease the transition and will most likely win
    bring time brownie points with parents.

    This is not important to parents .. this is only important to gamers ...

    "The_Rock" <sweetvee1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > This is not important to parents .. this is only important to gamers ...

    I will agree to disagree

    "The_Rock" <sweetvee1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > This is not important to parents .. this is only important to gamers ...

    As a parent, it is very important to me. Why would I buy a new system for
    my kids if it can't play the many that I have already purchased for them
    > "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> > There are two groups of gamers:
    >> >
    >> > Group 1 - Like Xbox games, own an Xbox.
    >> > Group 2 - Were never impressed by Xbox games, don't own an Xbox.
    >> >
    >> > Group 1 doesn't need backwards compatability because they already have
    >> > a perfectly good Xbox.
    >> >
    >> > Group 2 doesn't need backwards compatability because, to date, they
    >> > haven't been interested in Xbox games.
    >>

    >> I think if it's possible for MS to have backwards compatability they
    > should.
    >> Especially since they are breaking the usual/common 5 year between
    > launches
    >> of new consoles. It will help ease the transition and will most likely
    > win
    >> bring time brownie points with parents.

    Because your KIDs are asking ... have asked for new games .. I am a parent
    as well and the kids I know play a game and move on.....

    Bet your kids are this same .. if you stop and honestly think about it

    The_Rock

    > Because your KIDs are asking ... have asked for new games .. I am a parent
    > as well and the kids I know play a game and move on.....
    >
    > Bet your kids are this same .. if you stop and honestly think about it
    >
    > The_Rock

    Even if that were the case, why would you purchase a console only to be
    limited by the available titles rather than expanding the possibility to
    include so many more. The only thing keeping me sane about my PSP is that I
    am able to use it to watch movies and play music as well as play the games
    that I have already finished. On top of that, online gaming has extended
    the life of many console games exponentially.

    > "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "The_Rock" <sweetvee1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > This is not important to parents .. this is only important to gamers
    >> >

    >> As a parent, it is very important to me. Why would I buy a new system
    >> for
    >> my kids if it can't play the many that I have already purchased for them
    >> > "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > have

    >> > should.
    >> > launches
    >> > win

    "The_Rock" <sweetvee1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Because your KIDs are asking ... have asked for new games .. I am a parent
    > as well and the kids I know play a game and move on.....
    >
    > Bet your kids are this same .. if you stop and honestly think about it

    Nope, mine aren't the same.
    They still play old games all the way back to NES days.
    My oldest actually prefers the SNES over any other system we own.
    My 13 year old and his friends had a 4 hour Tekken 3 brawl at my house last
    weekend.
    The PS1 version, not the one found on the Tekken 5 disk, which we do own.

Console Gaming PlayStation Games Compatibility Video Games