TheEscapist

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Hi guys

Im making a budget build and i saw two cpu's on newegg. I found the 955 and a 965 be. The 955 is 20 bucks cheaper than the 965 but has no fan. I want to overclock so coming with no fan is a good thing. But my questions are, is there a big performance difference between the two and is the 955 overclockable since its not a black edition? And if it is overclockable, how much can i oc it too?

And plz dont respond saying get an intel. The quad cores are outta my budget and the i3 doesnt have 4 physical cores. And i know its better at gaming but future games will need 4 cores.

Thank you

horaciopz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
I have my Phenom II 945 C3 95W at 3.8ghz stable with 1.375v, thats a mere .5v vcore from the stock to get a stable OC with temps going to 35ºC to 49º at load with my CM 212plus...

Its HARD Oc without a non BE processor, i had ajust my rams and many other stuff to achieve it.

So, FOR SURE GO FOR THE Black Edition Processor it worth it! You will have hard tiems overclocking a non BE processor as i learned by my own experience, I hate how every frecuency as NB, HT, ram bus and inastability scales over every single FSB i increased, also the heat is hard to control because you gotta increase the voltage to achieve higher clock speeds.

If you get the Phenom BE you will get about 4.0ghz with a good cooling and dont worry about changing more values than the multiplier... So thats a must go for any overclocker, because it comes with stability and less headaches for us...

Best of lucks with your phenom :D